Advance Your Looting!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Aenoan Augur

This is very annoying system its like a overly complicated version of what WoW uses with bonus rolls, might as well just use that system instead.
  2. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Yes, No, Always, Never.
  3. Aurmoon Augur

I love the system. Was playing with my brother yesterday (six toons between us). Because I'm familiar with all the characters, I know exactly what each needs and who can benefit the most from what. So I can simply make all the loot allocation decisions without needing to alt tab and find the proper corpse. It also saves me from having to link every item that drops as he can easily see what is available. Sometimes we had voicechat and sometimes we were just typing to each other --- this saved a lot of hassle.

Finally, I can hidecorpse always on all my characters without worrying I'm missing something.

Thank you!!!
    Lisandra likes this.
  4. fazool Augur

Advanced looting is yet another example of dumbing down the game, making it easier and giving instant gratification.

This is a horrible change.

Before, when a corpse dropped you actually had to pay attention to where the corpse was. Sometimes the corpse dropped in a dangerous place and part of the challenge of the encounter was getting the loot. You had to search the body and rifle through the mobs pockets and such to get their loot.

This change completely dumbs this down, yet again removing the immersive feel of actually being their. Loot just lands in your backpack....yay.

This gives range fighters (spellcaster, pet class etc) a significant advantage. I can DOT or nuke a mob and no matter where it is I can safely sit at a nice distance and have rewards put in my inventory.

Here's an idea.....why don't you next remove corpse runs....oh wait.....how about travel - just make it instant.....oh wait......well, next what you should do is just make a {WIN} button....we log in, look at a mob, clik the {WIN} button and the fight is over.....yay

What an immersive 3D virtual reality experience.

Yet another example of DEV's caving in to the thumb-twitch instant-gratification whining.

Everquest is no longer a virtual world or 3D MMORPG reality. It's just another lame console game like Mario Bros.
    Melanippe and Zoggzog like this.
  5. Chinghis New Member

Stupidest thing ever.
  6. Chorus Augur

There is a bug (not sure if its reported anywhere, haven't noticed anyone mention it), but take a given item, say a blue diamond. I go through my crew, set 2 to never and 1 to always need. Master looter is set to autoloot and toggle the auto-roll button on the item. The first time it goes through just fine, rolls, and the correct guy gets it. However, later on this process breaks for no discernible reason. The columns are still set to what they're supposed to be, the auto-roll timer counts down and then...the item is still there. I go in to manage the item, and it said no one was interested in the loot (no one had died either). So I click re-roll and it still won't go after second timer. I click re-roll a third time, go back and see the toons that are *not* set to ML now have the never or always need columns checked, but the no and need columns are now not checked. I toggle the never and always columns off and back on and it picks it up and works again for that particular roll. Once it fails once on a particular item, it fails on that item every time for each instance in the active countdown list until fixed.

Problem here is that I have no idea what breaks this. I think the leave on corpse items are also having this same bug. Fix this and a lot of these complaints when in groups should go away. I actually like the new looting system, but I also don't use it because this bug happens quite often. Sometimes it will loot 2-3 of an item or even and entire mission worth no problem, and later it will choke on every other one. Find and fix this bug, and it will go a long way since it looks to me like a lot of the complaints in these threads are related to this particular issue.
  7. Kellaer Augur

This has got to be the biggest stretch for a complaint I have ever seen on this forum. The ability to loot something from a window instead of a corpse, through some broken and twisted logic, means the game is dumbed down and is too easy. You seriously just said that.

Get over yourself.
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. Grove Augur

A bug I have seen is that should the loot be only cash, the looting screen likely will exit. To get it back one must do /advloot.
  9. segap Augur

He does have some valid points. 1) It does remove some more of what was left of immersion 2) It removes all risk of looting from kills you barely pulled off before adds re-popped (not relevant in instances). The second point actually makes the second partisan task in Arx much, much easier for slower killing groups.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  10. fazool Augur

Yes that is exactly what I said, and exactly what I meant.

What most people are forgetting is that the thing that made original EQ "king" was the immersive virtual reality world with a complete backstory and the perpetual world - things happened even while you weren't there. There were immutable rules of the universe in Norrath. And, it was a gigantic world.

Back then, just being there was an adventure. When you wanted to get from Kelethin to Freeport, you had to stock up on food and water for your trip, plan your walk, get through Butcherblock, get safely to the docks, wait for a boat. Then (if you didn't fall off) you sat on a boat for a loooooong time until you eventually arrived at the Freeport docks. The world was huge and traveling and exploring it was part of the satisfaction and adventure of the game. And there were tremendous challenges just in doing that. Travel was part of the fun of the game.

And you had to deal with faction. And languages. A dwarf could not simply stroll into Felwithe and know what they were saying - they had to learn languages. It made it clear that there were multiple civilizations of different races.

And learning a tradeskill was a huge part of what people did in the game and that was like there "job" in that virtual reality existence.

And when you were fighting mobs you had to pay attention when you killed it, when it fled etc. You killed an orc, for example, and you had to get close enough to the body (without triggering it's friends) loot the corpse, find what you wanted to take and lot it.

Slowly, over the first ten years of Everquest, these things have evaporated. There is no more big, gigantic world - there is instant travel anywhere. There are no civilizations with different languages to learn or faction to consider - everyone is the same. Tradeskilling is no longer a meaningful part of the game. Traveling and exploring are simply nuisances that "get in the way".

Those things used to be a big part of the game, now it's only about kill-kill-kill and level-level-level.

So, SOE eliminated languages, and food, and travel, and corpse runs, and everything else that made this a virtual world. And looting is certainly one of those. Now instead of actually looting the corpse, you just automatically get your reward because the game is not about being in a virtual 3D fantasy MMORPG - it's all bout killing and leveling. Just like Mario or Xbox.
  11. code-zero Augur

On the flip side fazool, back in the day it was " autoattack-chat-taunt-chat-kick-chat-chat-chat-chat.."

In comparison to todays game there was no real playing involved
  12. Melanippe Augur

Changing the shape of the wheel from round to square makes a wheel a much less efficient mechanism. Touting change as a good thing for the mere sake of change is very short-sighted. Oh and in case you are unaware, horse and buggy transportation still works as intended. ;)
    Lily likes this.
  13. segap Augur

Melee classes have gained complexity with having a screen of 20 buttons to click. Casters have lost it. Casters used to have to watch their aggro and mana usage. Now's it's just target, mash your multi bind and move to next mob. Kiting was an art, especially when you had to med while doing so. We also used to have to snare/root mobs at low health, watch for casting and try to interrupt it (oh crap! He gated. Where did you pull him from?), worry about near by cleric mobs (even it not aggro), etc. I'm sure others can add to the list of combat nuances that have gone away to make the game simpler and easier for the average player.
  14. Triumph Journeyman

Put me in the too old to (unwilling) change column, I couldn't stand this and turned it off on all my characters.

Get off my lawn!
    Melanippe, Zoggzog and Mintalie like this.
  15. Tyraxor Augur

It's probably ok, but there's one mistake that often comes with new systems...when they don't allow you to use the old system on the fly.
    I liked all this solo, then when i grouped up with a chap i couldn't figure out how to sort a quest item. I wanted to loot it the normal way after randomly clicking some for 2 minutes, and ofc it said "this corpse uses the new blah blah system". Screw you, cannot loot.
    Seriously, never do this. In a 15y old game, never something behind the new system. Never.
  16. Lily Augur

Not liking something is not the same as not liking change, and anyone who said that is ignorant. (See? I can make sweeping generalizations too.)

Anyone who said "just turn it off" is wrong. It's not the same as never having it. Doesn't it seem ridiculous that I can't loot a mob my group killed because I was one zone away when it died? Everyone in my group "just turned it off" the day it went live. Sure I could wait 15 minutes to loot it, but my group wants to move on. So it's not that I don't like change. I don't like stupid changes.
    Yinla, Melanippe and Mintalie like this.
  17. Dash New Member

Ok, I've read through all 11 pages and I still don't get something.

My situation:

Boxing 2 accounts.
    Character 1 loots everything, character 2 loots nothing. No exceptions, even no-trade and trash.

Is there a way to set this up? I mean without clicking something after each drop. When I solo, it works so beautifully, but the group setting is driving me crazy.

Thanks.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  18. Ferry-Tunare Augur

It's not possible. I wish it were possible.
  19. asgaard Augur

LOL. I guess I'm in the same category. I keep it turned off too, but if I ever want to group with someone who's using it I'll turn it back on for a while.
  20. Dragonslayer Journeyman

I absolutely hate this new system I tried it on a few servers are personally prefer to not use If this is enabled on the new TLP server please allow and option to not use it/disable it.