Accounts hacked and stripped

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Yurri, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Arderd and Crowd Augur

It's pretty easy, owner of said account said it wasn't him. Seems pretty simple. Anyway, think this has run it's course.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Because no one lies. In the early days of EQ people were lying all the time when they would sell their gear then say it was stolen.

Sadly game companies are not able to take the word of customers. If they did they would receive a flood of claims.
  3. Arderd and Crowd Augur

Yes, but the author said he doesn't care about the gear. He just wants the offenders punished, why would he be like that if he was the offender???

Anyway REALLY done now.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Again read the above. You don't punish someone just because someone asks you to. We sort of need proof.
    Jadefox and Darkark like this.
  5. Igniz Augur

Arderd and Crowd (whatever their ingame name is) stole my sweet roll. Please perma-ban him and his whole guild. I don't care about the sweet roll, I just want the offenders punished!

I said so, so it's true!

As proof: Please see this random image of an empty platter that looks like a sweet roll used to be on.
    [IMG]

/sarcasm
  6. Darkark Augur

You actually just ate a sweet roll, didn't you? :)
    Elricvonclief and Leex like this.
  7. Arderd and Crowd Augur

Couldn't resist. But yeah, this is exactly the same , if you had my name, address and a video of me eating it. /sarcasm

Your arguement is just like..."oh, he said I could eat it" . You have proof of an IP logging in, and records of items changing hands - basically everything.

"I went into the bank and Igniz said I could take all the money there, you have no proof! I used the same codes to open the safe as the manager!!!!" /sarcasm
  8. Igniz Augur

Well, for a bank, your knowledge of the safe (log in name) and the possession of the key (password) is sufficient legitimation for you to open the safe. The same applies to bearer checks - you have possession over it, so it automatically belongs to you. A diversion of this practice is negotiated on a case-by-case basis, normally due to limited capacity.

If you happen to lose your debit card, and some other guy goes on a shopping spree and the bank manages to prove you had the pin attached to said debit card, YOU will be held accountable for the full sum as it is your, and ONLY YOUR fault. (Lost credit cards are another matter as the pin is always printed on those, much to security's dismay)

BTW, giving access of your debit card and pin to another person and then have him arrested because of theft is called "framing" (and illegal).

Also, even if DBG actually comes around to check the incident and notifies the recipient of the items/money and (traced via item IDs and so on, yadda yadda) he says "why are you asking me, I bought them / he gifted it to me because he said he was leaving EQ anyways - look into your chatlog" - it is word against word and thus not legally usable against him. In dubio pro reo.

So you have name, adress, character name, login name or any other identification feature of the alleged culprit, perhaps even know him? And you even filmed him while doing the trade? And did nothing to stop it? And you didn't forward this kind of explicit material to DBG customer service? Some friend to Yurr1 you are!
  9. Ckal New Member

Verant/Sony/DB have had the means to engineer a solution for this for years (meaning any unauthorized transfer of gear/pp/etc.) if they WANTED to, this specific situation aside. It could be something along the lines of an email PIN code for certain transferred items.

All the rhetoric aside, there are ways they could improve security. This isn't their first rodeo. They simply choose not to, which is sad.
  10. code-zero Augur

Yeah because every time I hand someone something in the game I want to go check my email so that I can log into a website and enter a PIN.
  11. Weverley Augur

That was before they striped Customer service of most of their employees.Now that would mean everybody else petitioning would have to wait even longer so the investigation can be carry out.People are already complaining that it takes forever.Not sure most people would agree.
  12. code-zero Augur

What are you going on about? In game my character hands my girlfriends character an item. The transaction freezes until I can go check my email, click a link, go to a website then enter a PIN.

You think that people WANT to do that every time they do something in game?

Maybe we could make it so that the only way to give anyone anything is by way of parcel vendor...hey I have an even better idea. The only way to give anything to anyone is by parcel vendor or /barter or /bazaar and every transaction can be assessed a carrying fee!

Or how about people don't share login information and then pretend that some hacker somewhere used mystery hacking tools to steal their stuff?
    Leex likes this.
  13. Ckal New Member

The point that many here are missing is simply that they have the ability to do more about this issue and they choose not to. So for everyone jumping on the "you probably did it yourself", "stop handing out your pw", "you're an idiot", etc., Verant/Sony/DB is pulling up a chair, eating popcorn, and watching all the infighting while they still do nothing while years of hard work get stripped and they play the "it's not my problem, it was probably you" card.

As far as what I think people WANT, as you so eloquently pointed out, I think they WANT their chars/gear/pp to be intact from session to session, I don't think that's too much to ask considering the thousands of dollars many of us have spent over the years. I would view an extra security layer (in whatever form) as a much welcome and minor inconvenience.
  14. Pwnography Augur

And, six months later I log into the game only to see the same thing still happening. It's amazing that ever since my situation and the loss of Pwnz, Daybreak still hasn't added any authentication procedures such as 'answer your security question' before allowing any transfer to Firiona, among tons of other options. Looks like the epidemic has moved over to the progression servers with all the tradable gear, and no remedy.

Great work DayBreak!
  15. code-zero Augur

Considering that this was on one of the TLP servers and nothing went to FV....yeah. You do know that they can't transfer off. Just doing it old school there
  16. Leex Pewpewer

I heard it was confirmed you sold your account and tried to steal it back without success. I heard the same thing happened with your brother?!

I think the epidemic is people trying to fool CS and it aint happenin!~!~!~!~!
    Igniz and Kravitz like this.