Acceptable AFK Playing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by DillyBar, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Sazar Journeyman

i watch both groups (i am 100% sure the same owner) a whole week, every day and night at the same spot and every char move to the same point where they stand, like a machine and that 7/24 and you want serious tell me they only dont respont on tells ? come on. I play everquest since 1999 (and other mmoga.s) and i see if a other player bot and this group botting like the hell
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  2. smash Augur

Gotta disagree on that. If a GM sends you a tell and you do not respond then the GM is right in assuming you doing afk kills which is illegal and should then ban/suspend you.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually you can selectively enforce the rules. I don't think there is a rule saying that they can't do that. I think it comes down to resources they are willing to dedicate to enforcement then choosing the most serious issues to get those resources. I believe law enforcement in the RL does this already.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well the only caveat is the GM should try a few times. I sometimes miss tells and am at the keyboard 100% of the time I am doing anything in game. I don't automate anything I just get distracted :).

In a perfect world there would be a flashing notice in the middle of your screen. GM requires your attention.

And while I am against AFK gameplay I think this is part of the reason they don't enforce it more. It requires a GM to hang around for at least several minutes to be sure someone isn't just missing their tell. And we all know they can be sitting there watching and not be visible.

Think this is why they aren't more aggressive on going after afk killing. It requires to much of a time sink sitting there and watching for a while.
    OldMan, Aurastrider and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If you aren't fighting when afk there isn't a problem. If I finish killing a mob, go get pizza I am pretty sure I am safe. And I also think the GM tries a few times they don't just send one tell then ban you :).
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it there is nothing in the EULA or anywhere else saying they can't use your lack of response as part of the evidence they use to ban you. I doubt that is all they use to determine a ban or suspension though. Pretty sure they sit there watching for a while also.
  7. Ghubuk Augur

While not 100 percent certain, I think unnamed bad program allows for the cheaters to even see an invis gm.
  8. Tiggold Augur

Let's end this thread where it should have started, in the OP's mind. If you have to ask yourself in thought if something is okay to do based on already existing knowledge you have, then you shouldn't do it. Posting about is just trolling. So now it's not enough to have to read the same complaints for 19 years about botters but now you're singling in on characters standing there and doing nothing visible to another player? Botters rarely do anything to change anyone's gameplay other than being where the non-botter wants to be and now you want to go after AFK Foragers, who literally are doing 0 to affect you. /reaching
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Find it hard to believe - farming my TS stuff myself is exactly what i do.
    There's no way in hell that i'm going to pay bazaar prices for i know that is on traders from auto-botters.
    I'll rather (and occasionally do) buy small amounts of TS items from "legit" players at even higher prices.
    But mostly i am simply a cheap guy and yes, do my own farming (and that for my friends too).

There is absolutely NO excuse for botting (scripting), whatsoever.
    And no, it does NOT "help" other players, that's a fallacy too. It only helps the botter, that's really all there is to it.

That being said, i do not mind people automating casting skills and similar.
    But as was said on page1 or 2 of this thread, killing mobs (faction farming for example) and looting stuff (hello, FM botters!) is where i personally draw the line, grey mobs or not - be that with botting or mercs or your own pet (killing my vassal in Kaladim for VP faction that was thankfully fixed now, for example).
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

:) i play silent...