Acceptable AFK Playing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by DillyBar, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Aurastrider Augur

Actually one of the devs did chime in on this already if you search the forums hard enough. I stated swimming specifically because that is something one of the devs stated is acceptable to do afk. If I come across the thread I will post a link.
  2. Tyche Elder

All these examples will suspend or ban you as players have found out. Absolutely no afk is permitted at all. It’s in the rules. Doorbell rings and run to get your delivery? Banned if gm sends you a tell and you don’t respond. Well to the new world order.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  3. svann Augur

I often go afk while zoning. Should I worry now?
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

I think it's definitely reasonable to say even foraging AFK is a TOS violation. Once you get people in the habit of AFK "play" you open their minds up to behaviors that start to get more dispruptive like plat farming with a pet.

I can't stress how frustrating it can be to find a mage, necro, or chanter with a dire charmed pet sitting AFK pulling the aggro of stuff you want to kill (e.g. Giants in Ro or Rathe Mtns.) because they're too cheap to just buy a Krono and list it on the bazaar or run higher tier content that yields better plat.

I'm still surprised that there isn't a feature that autocamps or disconnects players after _____ hours of staying in same same area/relative co-ordinates. Although I guess the developers would have to make the common lands tunnels work like the bazaar to facilitate a disconnect rule like that work well on progression servers.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

Just to add somewhere on the site it even states that when you AFK you should go to a relatively inactive area (e.g. without mobs or other players).
  6. moogs Augur

Earns a like because I'm a Patriots fan. And there's more to the story of Spygate. Changes to the rules are supposed to be voted on and approved by the competition committee (on which Belichick sits), not passed down from the league office in a random memo. Teams are allowed to film their opponents, but only with certain staff and from certain vantage points. What they did in the preseason was wrong (and dumb) and obviously proven completely unnecessary since they then went on to the only 16-0 season in NFL history, but Spygate was more about teaching the new commissioner a lesson on how the league actually works than about gaining a miniscule perceived advantage over another team.
  7. moogs Augur

Clearly. If you leave your keyboard for more than "a few seconds", you had better be prepared to take a permaban on the account that has generated hundreds if not thousands of dollars in revenue for SOE/DBG.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Having active mercs farming tradeskill mats for you while afk, is actually against the rules.
    What might be a grey mob to you, might be a quest npc to a lowbie questing in the area.

Generally speaking, if you gain anything from it, then you better be at the keyboard.
  9. Catashe Augur

Yea but the thing is they really ain't going to go around hunting down people who would do it.. Its mostly people who get reported so... how would ordinary people know your marcoing forage.. lol
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Are the EQEmu-server and the official eq-server even comparable nowadays? I was under the impression that EQEmu was a completely different codebase made by reverse-enginering ages ago, and didn't have much in common with the official servers.

Are they even written in the same language?

No reason to believe they have the same sever-side tools at DBG.

Unless, of course there has been a codeleak from DBG/sony recently?
  11. Horathmir Elder

I am certain there are much better tools today in the actual game at DBG's that could run passively and detect just about anything they want and spit out a report.
  12. mmats Augur

If I fall asleep at the PC and my cat jumps on the keyboard and attacks a griffon, how many shekels will I be fined?
  13. bigpapa Augur

when I did my artisan's prize augment and I needed to farm many foraged items, I took my "" free heroic "" ( when we had that option ) and created a druid on each of my 5 accounts , not only I had forage x 5 but I had teleport to bind AA as well and track, that speeded up my foraged items I needed. ( same for fishing )> I used my guildmaster points to raise fishing .

I had a druid bind at different zones when I needed an item, so one of them could teleport all other 4 there.

now that I don't need foraged items, I placed my druids at different area to track ( gorowyn , sathir , howling stone , skyfire and overthere , so I can see fast what nameds up before I load my "" army ""
  14. jiri_ Augur

I agree with your whole post, and this is the most important bit IMO.

Many skill rates are too slow. They were built for super slow xp, hell levels, and sitting in the EC tunnel trying to sell stuff, then they were adjusted for gear and everyone being capped out by level 40. Even on TLP servers where everyone complains about how slow the experience is all the time, it's possible to outlevel key skills. Monk Feign Death and Mend and Ranger Conjuration are two that come to mind immediately, but it's true for everything other than your main weapon skill, Offense/Defense and your main combat buttons for melees and Meditate and your two main casting skills for casters.

Getting something like Feign Death to a workable level requires about six hours of falling over. That's a bit unreasonable.
  15. KermittheFroglok Augur

So I've been back for awhile now and I haven't had a toon outleveling a key skill... Sometimes I've had to visit a guild master to train but that's why they're there. I feel like this shouldn't happen if you're playing your class as intended and also working on AA, especially once you get closer to level 60-70 when you start to feel the exp slow down.

1) I guess it's possible to out level skills if you play on an accelerated exp server, do you play on Firiona Vie?

2) Do you autogrant your AA?
  16. AlmarsGuides Augur

There are certain skills that most players are very unlikely to level up without stopping to spend time doing so. Casters leveling up Defensives is a good example of this. As a caster you're not really supposed to be getting hit and defense only raises while you're being hit. So, you have to find a place where you can take hits and survive with a healer merc and get wailed on for an hour or two OR duel a player and have them summon swarm pets/send their pet on you. I'd assume if you walked away from your keyboard while either of this was happening you could get suspended under the current rules which is a bit silly.

I can think of a situation where Daybreak's rules for this type of stuff are completely unreasonable. Some people lose their train of thought for 30 seconds, say the GM sends you a tell at the very same split second your phone rings. Most people are going to prioritize their life and answer the phone before a tell in the game. They aren't AFK -- they just arent paying attention to what someone says at that time in the game. They still are at their computer & keyboard, just distracted. In Daybreaks eyes this is AFK gameplay and it's really stupid. ((What's worse is the GMs in Daybreak try to act sly sometimes too and they talk in /say instead of a /t .... Because apparently we're expected to read every line of text in the game at all times. No one ever gets distracted while playing a game, that's crazy.))

With that said, the other guy is right that there's plenty of skills, like defensives, that take an unreasonable amount of time to raise. Some classes like Beastlords have to skill up all 5 spell casting schools, Feign Death and their defensives. Sometimes some of these classes don't get a useful Conjuration or Evocation spell until level 50 - 60 either which means that they have no effective means of raising that school of magic until they actually need it later on. Then they can either dump training into the skill at the Guild Master or spend a few hours stopping what they're doing to raise it.
    Issk likes this.
  17. KermittheFroglok Augur

Almar, good points! Particularly with casters and beastlords.

For casters I feel like part of the issue skilling defensive skills is vestigial to the original intent of the classes, to be DPS artillery. But it sounds like the endgame group and raid meta demand more than what's reasonable to earn "naturally". Almar, if that's case then I see jiri_'s point to some degree now, at least that the skill, but I don't agree that AFK exploits are an appropriate solution. I feel like the skill cap would either need to be lowered if the devs really want caster defense lower, or some backend table adjustments.

The beastlord scenario is definitely a good example. My instinct wants me to say that's just the penalty of having a versatile class to work with and that you should specialize, but then hacing to specialize a hybrid class' skill training defeats the purpose of playing the hybrid class to begin with.

I feel like some classes should be given accelerated skill increases or more guild master trainings per a level where applicable/possible.
  18. jiri_ Augur

I'm playing on Coirnav with slow xp. The big one so far has been Feign Death on Monk - I went from 1 to 10 in three levels using it basically on cooldown. It's not a valuable skill until you've got 70 or 80 points in it, and raising it up there is prohibitively expensive on a new TLP (admittedly, less of an issue on Live). Previously I complained about the casting skills that Almar highlights: mid-to-high level spells that are both important and the first in their casting school.

Also keep in mind the rate of skillups is dependent to on stats, and a level 30 guy in defiant armor and bazaar gear will have much, much higher stats than a level 30 guy with level-appropriate classic gear. I believe skillup rate was changed to reflect the new stats, which leaves progression servers at something of a disadvantage here.
  19. moogs Augur

It's still painfully slow on Live because the skillup rate was never adjusted along with the greatly increased XP rate. Bards have it pretty bad too.
  20. Quatr Augur

At least Bards can play /melody AFK, which I believe is allowed under the current rules. I haven't played a mid-level Monk in 15 years, but Monk skills took a long time to max back then. It was painful.