AA or continue levelling?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Cydonia, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Cydonia Elder

I’m getting close to the point where AA auto grant is no longer a thing ( I believe it stops after level 105)

So the question is, should I stop to grind AA, or just crack on to level 110, or level 115? Does is make much of a difference?

Cheers
  2. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

My opinion would be based on a lot of things. Class, what you're trying to accomplish, who you have helping you (example : you're a tank class but aren't going to be required to tank)

Generally I'd just recommend you grind out max level because the AAs come fast enough after that from quest rewards, collections, missions, etc.
    Cydonia likes this.
  3. Raptorjesus5 Augur

What is your class? Are you soloing or grouping? Is there anything you are wanting to do at max level like raiding for example?

Stopping for vital AAs can make your life massively easier. Especially defensive AAs if you aren't using a merc tank.

If you are grouping a lot and want to get max level quickly for raids or anything like that, then it might be best to just power through the levels and work AA later.
  4. Raptorjesus5 Augur

5. bigpapa Augur

have you done EOK missions ? there are 4 and can get 100 + aa per mission , with the ach;s
    good way to get some aa's fast if you can get somone to help you.

and depending of the class, some aa's are really worth to get , if you can kill faster , tank better or heal .

as a shaman i always maxed cannibalise aa when it was gtg to get, some for dot , heal aa's .
  6. Cydonia Elder

I’m a 3 box, sk, shaman, bard.

So from what im reading, the general idea is, grab a few of the more important AAs along the way but push for max level to catch the rest?
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I agree wholeheartedly.

MANY AAs are so-so, only a small percentage are really crucial. Either set your AA to 100% while getting the crucial ones, and then back to 0% to level, or set it to something like 50% or 60% and just get what you can as you level (my preferred method when I was leveling).

Also, if you haven't done much with collections, now is the perfect time to get a lot of the easy ones done. Every set completed can get 12 AA as a reward, with 12 AA more for each meta-achievement. That can add up pretty quickly.
  8. Tucoh Augur

If you're looking to hit max level ASAP so you can play with your friends/guild, there are very few AAs you'll want to stop and get on the way to 115. The most obvious ones are going to be the AAs that help your SK tank, AAs that unlock useful abilities and the AAs that help your bard's songs last longer. I'd stay away from the synergy AAs till you're at cap, they're powerful but a massive investment.

If you're looking to just enjoy the leveling experience I'd recommend investing in AAs when you want to halt leveling and enjoy the content while it's still giving you decent experience and is a challenge. Ex: if you don't want to move on from CotF yet and are getting close to 105, nothing wrong with turning on AAs until you want to move to TDS or something.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Pretty much yes, get the important ones to help you survive.

Word of advice do not do the missions in TOV until you reach level 111, they give a huge level boost but the levels in TOV need a lot of exp, so I'd save them up for when you really need them, or you are going to find yourself stuck between level 111 and 115 for a long time.

As you are over level 85, make sure you do your Overseer on each account for the aditional exp you can get from them, it is a great bonus.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

Considering how XP in ToV works, this is a unique time where this is a no-brainer.

Grind to 111 with a 10% buffer, then 100% AA XP while you do ToV progression.

Make sure anytime you get a collection you select experience, because 2% XP is worth more than 15 AA by far. Also save collection sets until you are at least 111.

If you need to stop before 111 for critical AA, such as a healer that can't heal strong enough or a tank that can't take a hit, then you can do that, but just do as little AA as you need to get by until 111.

Make sure you complete overseer everyday. If you like ACH, you can do overseer collections (but wait until you have an almost full set to claim the reward), or claim XP, especially after 111.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

There aren't enough "critical" aa to matter between 105 an 110 (you can use the tier 1 tov gear at 110).

So I think it depends on your gear. If you're able to kill well enough to get to 110, do so, then get t1 gear (buy it when you see it super cheap, I've seen it for 100pp before) and grind in ToV.
  12. Lockdown Elder

My Enchanter is 69th level and I have over 2200 AAs. I don't use Auto-Grant.

Obviously, I find it useful to grab AAs as I level. I also bank over 100AAs before I hit the next level. This way, as soon as I hit the next level, I start spending AAs to enhance my survivability and increase my DPS. And anything else that is vital to my role as an Enchanter.

Doubtless many will find my approach ridiculous. Why not just go heroic and use Auto-Grant? But for me, as a returning player, the journey was more fun and interesting than being at the top.

Once you hit max level, the content will never change until a new expansion comes out. I'm not anxious to reach the Zone of Stagnation.

Also, I'd rather acquire the tools one at a time, and learn how to use them through experience. Not just be granted levels instantaneously, acquiring a whole bunch of tools without even seeing what they are, much less understanding what they do.
    Yinla, Tucoh and CatsPaws like this.
  13. Cydonia Elder

Well, that’s your prerogative, everyone finds their own enjoyment in this game how they see fit.

Personally I want to see current end game for the first time since the early 2000s on the live servers, and while I’m not in a massive rush I do want to get there via the path of least resistance.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not to mention that auto-grant only works through level 105 (and only two of the three level 105 expacs, at this point), so there's PLENTY of AAs to grind once you get to 105, which is still 10 levels away from max level.

Though, as the previous poster mentions, if that's how you enjoy playing, more power to you :)
  15. Lockdown Elder

I think it's utterly hilarious that people who openly admit they want to fast-track their way to the top are acting like it's somehow wrong to actually want to work my way to the top, instead of actually, you know, just getting it for nothing.

EverQuest, last I heard, has more content than any other MMORPG. Yet, people who claim to enjoy the game wish to bypass roughly 99% of that content. Or, at the very least, return to old content when they've attained such a high level that the content becomes trivial.

But regardless of how many people insist on going heroic and auto-grant, I will not be looked at as "the odd one out" for wanting to play the game instead of getting 90% of everything handed to me. How do you even garner a sense of accomplishment when most AAs are given to you automatically, and you start at level 85?

"I'm 115th level, and I got all my AAs!"

Yipee-skipee for you. You started at 85 and were given every AA for nothing up until ten levels from max. Even when the max level was seventy, max level players still had to earn AAs for 19 levels. You don't have to earn a single one until you're ten levels from cap.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Grinding is NOT content. I.E. you will run out of content at your level before you max all those AAs.

That is all

We're happy for you to play your way.

It would be nice if you would return the favor.

PS - didn't start at 85. Started at 1, in 2000. Have been max level occasionally, have never been close to max AA. Of my ~24,000 AA, about 8-9,000 is auto-granted.

I'd have quit this game a while ago if not for auto-grant.

Stop assuming you know so much about those you converse with.
  17. Lockdown Elder

Uh, yeah it is. I have to explore content in order to grind. Not going to do too much leveling hanging in PoK all day.

I haven't run out of content yet, and even if I did, it's content that the Heroics have skipped. And thanks to Franklin Teek, I can rack up the AAs pretty quick.

Stop assuming you know so much about those you converse with.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is incorrect, just hit level 51 and the mobs are going green/grey for the NPCs needed for the quests. If players want to see all content then doing AA is away of slowing down out growing a zone.

I've just got my daughter playing and if all we were doing was killing NPCs she would be bored already, but she is really enjoying doing the quests and exploring all the zones rather than racing to the end.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It is not incorrect, once you get to higher level.

At level 51, you've had scores of zones to quest and hunt in. Yes, you can go a long way without running out of content.

Now, get to level 75+. Most 5-level ranges have 1 or maybe 2 expacs to support those levels. Yes, you will run out of content before maxing all AAs without auto-grant.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Your definition of "grinding" is dumb. I've assumed all I need to know about you. Bye.