A "what do?" scenario, AFK killing

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Uxtalzon, May 5, 2013.

1. Uxtalzon Augur

To keep names and locations obscured, just in case!

So I'm in this zone that has a choke-point and I'd like to pull mobs through this choke-point, but there's a group there. Not just any group, but an AFK merc-killing group, and if I pull anything I risk training and killing them. It's too narrow to pull around them and there's even a possible language barrier. I've tried being careful and accommodating by only pulling a few mobs at a time, but unfortunately a respawn happened on them and aggro spread, and they died = I trained them. I rezzed and buffed them and apologized, but it's annoying as hell to put up with their choosing to AFK. This group has been in the same place for over a week (not including downtimes of course) so just waiting is out of the question.

So my question is: zone in, want to pull, see AFK group in the way. what do?
  2. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Report them, Afk killing is not allowed
  3. Ddink Journeyman

can you get rezzed while afk?
  4. malfurionn Elder

id just report them and keep killing in the area, happens all the time in the hole on cazic at the temple or the rock door thing where the tunnel starts/in the tunnel sometimes
  5. Laronk Augur

ahh afk killing with mercs is allowed you just can't use macros and stuff.

IE no automation aside from your mercs and a /melody
    Leerah likes this.
  6. Uxtalzon Augur

AFK killing is allowed, with mercenaries, but doing activities while AFK is cheating. Either way, I doubt any action would've been taken, since reporting cheaters never shows results.

They were AFK, but it took about 20 minutes before they accepted my rezzes. I was trying to do the right thing, even if its a waste of my time. My guess is that the person would check every 30 minutes to loot corpses or something.
  7. 7thNecro Elder

He mentioned Language barrier, so he must have tried talking to them at some point. They may be leaving it afk, but periodically checking on it, or have the screen somewhere they can see it. I think the problem is, they are using what they are given to do it, and nothing more, meaning there isn't much to claim as being against any rules. The choke point part, coule lead to possible zone disruption, but its hard to really put a label on it unless they outright address the issue as legit or not. If they say it is legit, then really they could set up anywhere they wanted, so long as they were first there, even if the general population would disagree with it being right.
  8. Angahran Augur

When did that change ?
    Always used to be, basically, your character could not be doing anything while you were not physically at the keyboard.
  9. Ishtass Augur

Never changed, conversation came up when mercs were introduced and it was decided ok then. You are not technically doing anything with your character, the merc you have left up is.
  10. Toquillaw Augur

AFK Killing thread at Allah's

It links to the old website, but that thread is from 2009, so it has been several years.
  11. Angahran Augur

Ok.
    I guess if they are standing somewhere blocking you you could get them for zone disruption.
  12. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

Sounds like you did the right thing. It is their choice to rely on the AI of the mercs to keep them alive in a dangerous area where other players are playing the game. If they get killed it's the merc's fault not yours.
  13. strongbus Augur

was going say ya if they are doing it someplace that is dangerous they are nuts. but for afk killing if it was not alowed i would have been in trouble when slayer achievements came out. 90% of it I have gotten being 100 going to some 45 or lower zone and just taking ghold off of pet and letting it kill stuff as it hit me while i am in bed.
  14. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Actually, to correct you here.. AFK killing is not forbidden. It's frowned upon, but it's not breaking EULA.
  15. Oranges Augur

I wouldn't care one bit, if they die they die. You're talking about a player who isn't even playing the game. Who cares.
    NaVi7512, Ishtass and Kelefane like this.
  16. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

Some people abuse this type of thing far too often. Sadly it usually comes at the expense of those that are too polite to resolve it themselves.

Anyone that goes /afk in an unsafe zone takes on the risk and responsibility of doing so. Someone that disrupts a zone or monopolizes an area by using a tactic to kill while AFK is in violation of official policy on player conduct. Additionally, if they are using illegal means to automate character activity while AFK petition and it will be resolved.

I have to commend SOE on upholding and enforcing their policies on this lately. They are looking out after us at least a little!
  17. Mykaylla Augur

While I'm not a fan of the AFK killing personally, you mentioned that they were at a choke point. Could you not move ahead and camp beyond the choke point to pull without worrying about where they were? Was it that you were running out of mobs that way? Could you not keep moving, or were you boxing too many (I know, moving a lot of boxed toons sucks, because autofollow is blergh) for that to be feasible?

Just trying to get an idea, so that you don't feel you have to be overly careful and babysit someone else's AFK group.
  18. Leerah Augur

I'd send them a message/email that asks them to find a place that doesn't disrupt other players. There was a guy in SS in the maze for a month but he was in nobody's way.
  19. Wuttever Augur

Opinion, mine, so who cares, but if they die, they die. You were way more kind than I would be. I don't mind the AFK merc killing, if it works it's fine, but not if it it's in the way. They really gotta find some way out of the way spot that's a blind alley or something.
  20. Phrett Augur

There's an AFK'er who always sets up in the intersection of an older zone that I hit up occasionally for tribute items. Right in the middle of a bunch of see invis mobs that I'm not going to take the time to clear through... so every week or two they end up dead from mobs trailing me and I feel zero remorse. It's not an intentional train, but screw those guys... if they weren't afk they wouldn't die.
    Sinestra likes this.