A question about the Progression servers

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Broley, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Broley New Member

I've recently returned to EQ after a LOOONG time and I have a question about experience and the progression servers.

Way back, gaining levels was a slow and fiercely won process. It took weeks at least to get to 20. Now, playing F2P, xp points are flowing like water.

So, my question, if I get a subscription and play on a progression server, is the experience like it was in the old days, or is it like the regular servers?

Thanks
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I returned to the game after a long absence also. I found the exp on my silver account just flowing like water also. And all the cool things like summon corpse, merc rez, find key etc. So I tried a TLP- omg I cannot believe we used to play this game when it was even harder than the TLP 's are now. They seemed very hard. They have it all - hard won exp, camp stealing, guilds that work together etc. So yeah if you want pain then try those or if you got soft like me in your old age you can always come back to live after a month - only cost ya $17 INCLUDING TAX. :D:D
    snailish likes this.
  3. snailish Augur

The thing is, you have a degree of control over your own XP rate in the sense that you can choose to kill "level appropriate zones" in "only dropped or made by me gear" and such or you can take advantage of the linear leveling paths that people group in (Unrest, Lower Guk, Velk's etc.).

You can choose to use XP potions or not. Progression servers give you a better bonus XP for grouping so you can solo. You can use higher-powered buffs and/or have an out of group chanter/druid or such babysit you. Many classes solo poorly in the early eras, especially if you don't give the character gear.

Progression server XP thus far has varied in initial rate, but goes up at GoD & TSS (maybe one other bump somewhere I forget) as it did historically to get to live levels. Coirnav server has a lower rate and that is cited as a main reason less people hopped on board (opening so soon in respects to other servers is another)... maybe that would be your thing.

Keep in mind that on progression forum, many of us are appealing for the next server to have a much higher XP rate while also being tuned much harder to kill. We don't all want the same things.
  4. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

Honestly I had a great time at first on Coirnav. Plenty of people to group with ect.. Even now it's not bad at all even in the low levels. However, the Krono aspect of game play is a serious deterrent to the TLP experience. It's accepted/expected that you WILL spend real money buying Krono in order to continually gear up your character every 12 weeks. Even small upgrade gear drops cost Krono. You could fight this by camping the gear drops yourself but most of the good gear spots are perma-camped by farmers looking to sell the gear for Krono. For instance Farmers had claimed every single /pick of Velks where the Kobold armor might drop the past four times we went there.

At this point we are leaving the TLP servers and heading to live to see how the game play is there.