A Note to the EQ Community from Jenn Chan

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by JChan, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Orzulth Journeyman

It amazes me how many people in this forum enjoy being served crap on a plate and having it called dinner.
    Metanis, dirgenoobforreal and D3C0D3D like this.
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

When I see the TLP complainers come in, I am not sure if I am on the Fortnite or Call of Duty forums with a bunch of adolescents. SMH.
    Bubossi, code-zero and Nennius like this.
  3. Xyphen Maximum Augur

A big note of thanks for posting this. Taking the time to give the community a detailed explanation and throw a bone (xp bonus) goes a very long way, and should be a benchmark for other businesses to follow.

Video game developers receive an inordinate amount of harsh criticism when things go wrong, so it's nice to remind folks that there are real people behind the curtains, most of whom are passionate about the work they do.
    Whoops and Nennius like this.
  4. Kalantha.Mangler New Member

The communication is much appreciated! Not that people won't still complain, but...

When we get feedback like this, people peacefully protest. When we don't, cities burn.
  5. Tucoh Augur

I can assure you both live and TLP players are old AF.
    [IMG]
    Metanis and Skuz like this.
  6. KimchiGoddess Augur

You're actually reaching with this post, a simple typo is easy enough to make and the mistake was fixed quickly.

A massive mistake costing millions of dollars, yeah the ramifications should be a lot more severe. A potential typo that was corrected quickly and had little to no impact other than a few people getting some super fast XP for a short amount of time is not something that deserves such an overraction as you're posting about. Give your head a shake.
  7. DamastaShonuff Journeyman

Telling us what happened months ago doesnt fix what is going on right now. Not a peep about the loading crashes, the long zone loading times, the lag on Aradune. This is why you get irate people. You are only addressing issues that months old, not current. You wont even acknowledge them. Just like you didnt acknowledge the opening day issues until now. You claim you couldnt, but twitter wasnt broken. The forums werent broke.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I would rather she did the job of organising and let the minions keep us informed.

That said I do appreciate her posting as herself rather than having Dreamweaver do it for her and the detailed update is very much a change from the silence we used to have from Holly when things went wrong.

It must be hard getting things done when you have to schedule virtual meetings rather than asking someone something when you bump into them in a corridor while getting a coffee or sticking your head round their door.
  9. Arkeal_Rathe_Bots Lorekeeper

Adolescents? Just because you like crap being shoved down your throat doesn't mean the rest of us do. Grow up
    Metanis and D3C0D3D like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you have ever managed a team I feel sorry for anyone who worked under you with such a poor attitude & unrealistic, almost perfectionist expectations.

This is one of the quickest ways to lose talented people & all for the want of less egostism.
    KimchiGoddess, Whoops and code-zero like this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Yeah it's been really hard getting anything done without the usual crew of people popping in to ask for help with whatever goes through their heads :D
  12. Orzulth Journeyman

Now if only the "Minions" would actually keep us informed.

This is true enough at least
  13. vazaelle_newb New Member

stability, performance, quality > new features. thank you for focusing on what matters most!
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If the hat fits....
  15. Bolg New Member

The offer would be great, if I could actually get in to take advantage of the offer. I sit in queue for 30 mins, then the launcher reports I must have been disconnected, then I get into another 45 min queue and hope for a different outcome. Definition of insanity? But, luckily, once I am in I can look forward to 3-5 min zone loads. Then there is the random client crash or disconnection, starting the whole cycle over again. BTW, it is a good idea to try to make up by adding an experience bonus, but if some people can't take advantage of the offer, what good is it?

Being in an industry where my teams have to maintain standards for customer access 24/7, I have sympathy. However, as a customer, my sympathy runs short.

I am still hoping things get better...
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Thanks JChan.

Server stability and PERFORMANCE should certainly be at the very tippy top of whatever to-do list you're distributing.
  17. Ruanuka New Member

Hello Jenn, thank you for the update. We're with you guys - be safe!
  18. Bobokin Augur

Do you not know what kids are? I can explain what they are if you really need me to.

For me, playing Everquest is a social activity. The game itself is outdated, repetitive, and has a monthly fee that is too expensive for what it offers. I play because my family and a few old friends still play.

My kids have been playing Everquest since they were three years old. Yeah, their characters died a lot, but it helped their dimensional spacial awareness, so it was all good. By the time they were in middle school, they played quite a bit, grouped up, and had fun. Over time, the game was just too slow and repetitive for them, and it was really not great for casual players to keep up. They moved on to playing WoW, Skyrim, Dota, Warframe, and other games.

They still came back to Everquest from time to time, but it became more difficult when they believed they didn't get anything real done when they played. These past months, they literally would get nothing done because they were faced with roll backs, crashes, and long periods of servers being down. For them, it was the last straw. They are both very bright and in college, so they have pretty full schedules and limited time for gaming activities as it is.

They are not the only ones. Members of my guild basically got so fed up, they rage quit, and we have not seen them since. Others have been on very sporadically, and I don't think we will see them much either.

So yeah, my kids went All Access to play this last month, and they got little for it. It was hard enough to get them to play as it was, and now it will be more difficult. That may not mean much to you, but family and friends mean more to me than leveling and getting loot.
    Metanis likes this.
  19. Metanis Bad Company

I don't play TLP but the epic failure of providing a decent experience for people on Aradune is massive in terms of losing potential players who will probably never come back and give EQ another chance. IMHO all the other recent failures pale in significance to this.

But until the crickets begin chirping behind the scenes (and anonymously) we players will not know who was truly responsible. Was it the pointy-haired boss? Was it Dilbert? Was it Dogbert? Was it Covid-19?
  20. Trapper New Member

I really do not know what all the fuss is about. I have been able to log in every day that the server has been up, the only zoning I have had problems with is into and out of CL and the only major lag i have seen outside of CL is the chat lag. I kinda think its funny, i am not a hard core gamer. I have been playing everyday since server launch and I currently have 5 toons at about lvl 10 and will probably do a couple more before I decide what I really want to play as.

On behalf of the causal gamers like me who just enjoy the escapism and who is not worried about getting phat lewtz and hitting max lvl asap, I thank you for the effort you have put into the new server and apologize for all the idiocy you have had to deal with from people who have nothing else to do with their lives other than complain.

It would be nice to see more GM's though, I wonder if it would be possible to create a volunteer GM corp to deal with in-game issues? But that would probably lead to corruption and favoritism.
    Bubossi likes this.