A modest request: tell logs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Lilura Augur

Devs, would it be possible to create separate log files for tell discussions? Right now you fold it into the player's general log which drowns in battle spam. Having a separate file with just my conversation would be a blessing, as a friend helped me with PC questions.
  2. S33k3r Augur

If you use Gamparse and load a file it will split the tells up.

There is a Chat tab which shows All Tells From you, All Tells To you and a seperate entry for each person you had tells from/to. Can event merge these together and copy lines to the clipboard.
  3. S33k3r Augur

Quick screen shot
    [IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar, Yinla and Zamiam like this.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You can also save them to a text file with that handy "save results" button on the bottom there that I just now realized is the wrong size for some reason.
    Scornfire and Fanra like this.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

I would like this as well; the relatively new time stamps help with this somewhat, but a separate file would be swell. I will not use third party applications.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

What are you viewing your log file with, if not a 3rd party application?

Gamparse is just as acceptable as notepad.exe or any other text file editor. And Gamparse is literally just a text file viewer - not editor - that is specialized for EQ logs. And the EQ devs rely on it as a tool: even if they don't use it themselves, all of the EQ community uses it to report stuff to the devs.

Also, it will up your game: you will be a better player if you can see your parse.
    IblisTheMage, Beimeith and Fanra like this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

GamParse for the win.

Get it. Learn it. Use it. Win.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This should totally be the on screen slogan for GamParse. Love it!
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Depending on how you mean this, it's an unreasonable approach.

If you mean you won't run s/w which interacts with EQ while it's running, that's fine. However, you can run GamParse after you exit EQ, and filter the logs accordingly. Not anywhere near violating the EULA that way.

You can also try a suite with UNIX-type utilities in it, such as Cygwin64. You can navigate to the log directory and run a "grep" to pull out the tells. There are probably native Windows utilities to do this, but I've been using UNIX too long to bother looking. Of course, this is no different than what GamParse is doing.

At any rate, it's a stretch to expect DBG to use already stretched dev resources to accomplish what we can already do quite easily.
  10. Tucoh Augur

Totally unusable.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

You are telling me that you make your own maps or just go around blindly?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Tatanka like this.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It already has a slogan.

This is correct. GamParse does not interact with EQ itself in any way whatsoever. It only reads log files and interprets the results in an easy to read format.

Also, I know a few devs use it from time to time. I don't think they use it for anything *official*, but for casual use when they play. They also have access to the source as does Gam himself, though I don't think he's even looked at it in some years.
  13. kizant Augur

To be fair, there's a big difference between loading maps, which are simple text files anyone can read, and running an untrusted executable.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I find your lack of faith, disturbing.
  15. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I know right? That trickster Beimeith hacked my PayPal and bought himself a six pack and a pizza once! I asked him why and he said he was starving after working on GamParse for 48 hours straight so I let it slide. Just gotta watch that guy because he's so untrustworthy!

For those wondering this post is made up and total sarcasm. Please don't take it seriously.