A Message From the Team about Phinigel XP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Roshen, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turinbar Augur

Well said...for you people white knighting the horrendous xp...lol just stop it. I'm laughing too hard to type atm.....whew. There we are, increase xp rates across the board please. The reason double xp brings out so many is because the normal xp rate is terrible.
  2. Asdrael New Member

While I don't mind much the slow xp rate, I'm not sure how detrimental it is going to be in the longer run. We'll have to see how Kunark+ XP goes, but attracting "new" players on the server to sustain the player base with a 3 month window to catch up is going to be tough. Especially when the target audience is mostly people that want to see the end game of each expansion as "current content".

Maybe the xp could rank up toward the end of a period - as is the first 2 month, 50% last month? For the sake of encouraging server activity and attractiveness...

(but for the love of Inny, boost lvl 1-10 because it feels like the slowest part of the game right now).
  3. nostalgicfool Augur

4. nostalgicfool Augur

Xp is not computed like in OLD EQ, it seems to me that you get almost the same xp killing a mob solo
    than killing it with 6 people, this is very absurd. Indeed a very extreme point of view would be to give no xp if you kill in a group a mob that can be solo ... a moderate point of view would be to divide xp by the number of people in the group and then to add a very moderate (but still appealing) group xp bonus,

Something like 2 15%, 3 30%, 4 45%, 5 60%, 6 75%.

Sadly as it is now soloing is not really an option to level, it is more than 6 times slower.
  5. Dahaman Augur

This could be why some people say XP is way too slow and why other people say XP is okay as is.

Another great divide is that new players are not twinked and veteran players are now twinked. This might double the XP rate in a lot of cases.
  6. Zansobar Augur

Yes I've noticed this too. I "think" what is going on is they are giving a very generous group bonus to XP and that is why killing an even con mob solo gives the same XP as when you kill the same mob with a group of 6. In theory this is all well and good, but soloing should have some viability too, at least for classes that are efficient at it. This is why the XP seems so very strange. Of course all of this would be remedied if they just increased the base XP gain by at least 50% and preferably 100%, then they could tinker with the group bonuses to bring the group leveling speed down a little bit so playing solo or grouping would be viable...though grouping should always be faster, it shouldn't be 6 times faster than solo.
  7. Jaymond1037 New Member

Hey everyone. I started playing last night and got to level 4 in under 3 hours. I think that's pretty reasonable, considering probably only about half that time was spent killing. The other half was spent setting up my UI, running back and forth selling items, exploring, chatting with folks, and getting killed by the guard a couple of times because I forgot to turn off my Chords of Dissonance, LOL.

4 levels in ~1.5-2 hours of XPing is MUCH faster than what I remember it was back in 1999, so I don't have any complaints about the XP rate so far.
  8. Baldur Augur

The specific reason was to give players MORE spots to XP at the higher levels, since in classic there isn't a lot of places. It has nothing to do with the exp curve. And the exp on ragefire/lockjaw is way easier than phinny, so your argument doesn't hold water. If the hole wasn't on ragefire/lockjaw and then they just added it for phinny then maybe...
  9. jiri_ Augur

What are your play hours? I've never found any difficulty finding or creating groups sub-25, and I'm playing as a melee DPS class.
  10. Pseudofate Augur

Fixed.

And if it wasn't obvious enough, double xp will bring out more people no matter the xp rate because its, wait for it........... Doubled.
  11. Venthos Augur

This (Both on the "Fixed" correction and your statement)

You can spin the "double xp rate brings more people, therefore xp is broken" argument on anything and it makes just as much sense... which is to say no sense at all.

"On Black Friday, more consumers than any other day of the year come out to buy things because of the deals. Clearly all pricing structures for those retailers are broken. Please reduce all costs of all things by 50%. Admit it, CEOs, prices are broken."

Like Pseudofate says, I don't care if the default XP rate was 1% or 300% that of RJ/LF, you give a time-limited XP event and (unsurprisingly) more people will play.
  12. KumbayaMyLordNagafen Lorekeeper

Can't you just award the OP with a fully geared level 50 of every class already so he'll shut the hell up and move on?
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  13. GhostbustersII Elder

I agree with what you all are saying about anyone would play more with double XP no matter what the original XP rate was but there is another thing.
    I feel like the first set of double XP weekends saved a lot of players from quitting including myself. I was ready to go back to RF/LJ until there was a double xp weekend and I was able to utilize it. Many people in my guild were in the same boat too.

If XP were higher I would probably have 3-4 accounts honestly since instanced raiding is account bound but as it stands right now, I have 1 account because I can't bring myself to level up another one. Could it be said that DBG is than missing out on 2-3 account subs because of the EXP rate with me alone? I think it can safely be said.
    I would have likely bought xp pots and the 40 slot bags on those accounts too so they lost out on quite a bit sadly for them and I don't think I am a minority here.
  14. Pseudofate Augur

I'm sure they are. After two months it's clear this server, along with being pro instances and anti-army, has become more of a "feel connected with your character" server. Which is a VERY Classic phenomenon.

If it was a conscious decision on DBGs part to sacrifice additional subs for the above to come to fruition, then we should be applauding a decision that in this day in age is almost unheard of within the industry as a whole.
  15. GhostbustersII Elder

This is not a company that wants to pigeon hole themselves with subs. They are a for profit public company so any decision they make that loses them money is a bad decision.
  16. Pseudofate Augur

Oh absolutely, I wasn't arguing that. But IF what I suggested was even a consideration, its more than I've come to expect from any company with the exception of Nintendo.

The server must be a success on both fronts at the moment or it wouldn't even exist or a major change would have been introduced already.
  17. GrugSA Augur

There is already a lot of XP spots for those levels in Classic, OOT Gobo and seafuries, Sol B Efreeti, fire giants and LDC, King/Herb/tact, Ice giants, Hate and fear. This is w/o counting things like Sol B nobles and Hill giants which are good for some but not all of those levels and ignore things like killing nobles in HHK or guards which give bad faction hits. The thing is except for Efreeti and elite gobos they're all slow XP or slow respawns. Adding the hole isn't about adding more spots but more FAST ones. My argument is that leaving the Hole on phinny is a contradiction to "giving the players a different(slower) experience on phinny" This point helps demonstrate how poorly thought out this XP change was by DBG.

Next time i'm trak at 4am i remember i'm just a casual WoW kid who wants to be handed everything cause some forumwarrior told me so :rolleyes:
  18. Pseudofate Augur

Yes that's what I said because that's what you and every other add/increase this post sound like. (perhaps not casual, but certainly entitled) Should I have inferred something different from the aggressive and dismissive tone of your OP and its title? When you speak like this, why would you think anyone would take you as anything but?
  19. KumbayaMyLordNagafen Lorekeeper

Yeah, no joke.

OP: "The EXP Rate needs to be increased!"

"How much? Would a level per kill work?"

OP: "NO! That's not fun for me! It needs to be increased to exactly the rate that will fit MY schedule."

"But what about the people with less time than you?"

OP: "MY schedule! MINE! WAaaaaaahh!!11"

What works for you doesn't work for me and won't work for someone else. The difference is that I don't get on the forums and cry about it for... what's it been almost 2 months now?
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  20. GrugSA Augur

You said it because you have no arguments against my actually arguments so you resort to sophistry like slander, strawman and arguing about my "tone" rather then the content of my post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.