A Concern about some of the 'new' ToV weapon's procs.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Caudyr, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Caudyr Augur

I know that ToV has been out awhile...and I'm not entirely certain that this hasn't been talked about already...but I came across a concerning situation last night when I got Trident of the Deep Sea (and have been for awhile with Nevederia's Horn).

I started getting "Spell did not take hold." messages on the Trident procs almost immediately (because the mobs were slowed). I get the same messages with Nevederia's Horn's proc when a mob is crippled.

Now, for reference...the two procs are...

Suffocate - Nevederia's Horn proc
    Slot 1: Decrease HP when cast by 200-335 (random)
    Slot 2: Decrease STR by 40
    Slot 3: Decrease AGI by 40

Waves of the Deep Sea - Trident of the Deep Sea proc
    Slot 1: Decrease HP when cast by 200-335 (random)
    Slot 2: Decrease Attack Speed by 10%

Now, my concern is this...when the mob is slowed or crippled...will the dd portion of these procs not land at all...or...will having the proc being top in the slots cause the dd proc to go off and then have the cripple/slow not take hold?

If it's the latter then there's no problem with the procs...but if it's the former and the DD portions aren't going off/landing when the mob is slowed and/or crippled (depending on which weaps you have, etc)...then the procs should probably be changed to autocast a separate debuff that has the str/agi debuff or slow debuff so that the DD portion will still hit the mob.

A quicker method of fix for that would be to just swap the slots for the agi/str debuffs so that the whole buff lands...and changing the slow portion of the waves proc to a different slot altogether. I can't guarantee this would solve the issue, but I would think it would since there would no longer be stacking conflicts. I don't really think letting either of these stack on top of other debuffs should overpower anything...though they would take up more debuff slots on the mob...so the first option may be the better one so as to not aggravate even more necros and others as well. ^^

My other concern is that these procs actually have no resist adjustment to them, so they get resisted a lot...especially since they check the magic resist. If you look at Shadowborn Hammer's proc (yeah, it's a VoA t4 group weapon...I went with one of the ones in my inventory for quick reference, heh) it has a -160 poison resist check. Could we at least get this changed to have the same resist check...or have the resist it checks be either prismatic or chromatic (whichever one makes it check the lowest resist, I forget :p)?
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

As far as Waves of the Deep Sea goes, Lucy's has two listings:

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=33063&source=Live

Slot Description
    1: Decrease HP when cast by 200 to 335 (random)
    2: Decrease Attack Speed by 10%

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=1972&source=Live

Slot Description
    1: Decrease Hitpoints by 20 per tick
    2: Decrease Attack Speed by 10%

I'm not sure which one is used by the Trident of the Deep Sea. The second one is used by the Fabled Club of Slime, which I use on my monk. I reported here a while ago that Chalandria's Bite XVII (poison from the Chalandria's Fang LoN reward) would knock off the Waves of the Deep Sea from that weapon.

As far as I know, the only slow item that monks can use is the Club of Slime (or Fabled Club of Slime), which limits us to a really lame 10% slow, when we can get it to land. It would be nice to get something better, but we take what we can get.
  3. Caudyr Augur

The one used by the trident is the one I linked. I am certain of that one. I'm not necessarily worried about the low # on the slow itself, but rather the fact that the slow may be preventing the dd proc from even landing if the mob is already slowed (or the cripple for the other weapon)...thus detracting from the overall dps. It may not be much of a dps loss, I can't really say for sure...but it's still a dps loss.