A complete noob/rookie

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Splat86, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Splat86 New Member

Hello everyone.

I have always been a fan of MMORPG's, to make the long story as short as possible, in recent years i have been more and more disappointed with the mmorpg that i have grown up with and learned to cherish and really enjoy, i have recently finally decided to cut ties and move on.
    The game that i used to play had inspiration in games like Ultima Online and Everquest, these names have been 2 that i always heard about in some youtube video, game forums and so on, especially Everquest, but i personally never tried it.

I have been wondering and curious about this game and whether i should try it or not or if it's too late in the sense that maybe in this day and age not many play a game like and as old as Everquest?
    I also noticed that there is Everquest and Everquest 2, which one should i go for? What are the differences between these 2 games?

Now that i know that there are 2 Everquest games my choice has just become more difficult.

Have a great day everyone.
  2. Riou EQResource

Both games are free to play so they should be mostly fine to try and see if you actually like them, not sure how far EQ2's goes but EQ1 f2p can be played for quite awhile to gauge if you like the game and want to really continue or not

If you do enjoy EQ1 more I would suggest subbing and going on a popular TLP as it is a much easier experience to join and learn as you go then going straight to live, higher pop TLP's also have actual people LFGing and stuff to play with where on live you will be soloing for a very long time until you reach end game
  3. Rauven Augur

Let me give you an unbiased response first.

Everquest is what I would consider a first gen MMORPG. So it typically lacks much of the modern day features you take for granted in MMORPGs you may have played already. Most of those features were pioneered by Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. Things like quested progression (leveling through quests instead of grinding spawns). Though I believe much of this has been added to the live version of the game (I primarily play TLP).

Despite being a first gen MMORPG, it does handle some things WAY better than other's of its time period. How you move your character around and use abilities are similar to 2nd Gen, unlike games like Final Fantasy XI, Lineage, and others.

Without any bias, I would recommend EQ2 for the uninitiated. It plays more like other MMOs you may have experienced and you can get into it without much fuss. EQ1 is going to have many unique mechanics and nuances that will likely require someone who has played the game before to help walk you through it.

However.. with bias, I cannot. And to be fair. I was a big fan of EQ2. If this was 3-4 years ago, I would still be recommending EQ2. But after the last few expansions, I feel like EQ2 is just a shell of it once was. It feels like the class diversity that used to be its strong point was mitigated by the addition of the four specialties that made one's class irrelevant. Couple this with the content of expansions starting from Terror of Luclin just not being worth the price (I was able to complete all of ToL in 2-3 days, literally going from level 110-120 in under 45 minutes without any glitches or exploits).
  4. kookoo Augur

some good links about EQ. 1 ,_______________>> EQ 1------------------------->>> FTW
    can google --->>> EQ almarsguides /everquest fanra / allakhazam { spells and zones ect },~~raidloot.com / eqresource /eqinterface / eqtraders / everquest info ,EQmaps , magelo , ect
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Links

not sure if these 2 links still work or updated : http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/
    https://www.eqmagetower.com/wiki/ReturningtoEQFAQ

like someone said you could try both and see what you like the most tho .

BTW welcome to EQ,
    if you decide to try EQ 1 , firiona vie is a unique server , most items are tradable , and there is a permanent 50% xp bonus . so you can see faster if you going to like eq 1 or not.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's not too late for EverQuest. Also the all Access membership gets you EQ2 and DCUO so you can try all 3.

The problem with EQ is that it is huge and on "live" servers the low level populations are low and theres no cross-server play like in WoW or etc. It can be very hard to find a group. The learning curve if you buy a heroic toon can be very high and may not be a great choice for new players.

TLP servers may be a good choice, but I have never played on one.

A lot of people box, play multiple toons at once. I myself 3-box and swap out mercenaries with real players when they are available. Playing well during high population play times makes it easier to not box, I can find groups easily at the right times and right areas, but my playtimes are not ideal most times. Also, I don't always want to do what the masses are doing.

As an ENC, soloing is difficult, but some classes solo very well. BST, NEC, SHD, PAL, WAR, MAG, RNG, are all examples of very independent classes. Be mindful that as tanks, SHD, PAL and WAR will be expected to be well geared in groups, so if you don't plan to play much, it is better to go with a less gear dependent class, like NEC, MAG and to a lesser extent, BST.
  6. Enrinco New Member

I'd have to say soloing as an enchanter is pretty easy. U have the most powerful charm in the game.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I have spent plenty of time charming. Not sure what sever or level you are, but charm is a viable for XP in some places, but not very good option in the later game overall. Charmed mob DPS is lackluster, significantly so when considering risk, and many many mobs summon, and many more can't be charmed. Reverse charming works for some XP, but it's not ideal.

Most importantly, when comparing ENC soloing to other classes, we are significantly under performing overall. Sure, we can go charm and kill some stuff at high levels other classes would struggle to tank, but charm does not scale. We can't go back 5 expansions and be gods with charm like another classes who gets to keep their high level stats or pets. Also charm is often not an option in many places we might need it to work, so while we can do a lot, many other classes can do more.

Yes, ENC can solo, but if asking what's the best way to experience EQ solo, ENC is not the answer.

Otherwise, I main ENC, always have, probably always will, and I would not discourage anyone from playing ENC.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Don't take our word for it - jump in!! After all you are the only one who can decide if its for you.

No commitment. At least until we get you sucked all the way in and then you will pull out your hair trying to get the Artisan's tradeskill charm or camping that elusive rare named during "increased rare spawns" which seem to make them spawn less that they did to begin with lol

There should be a bonus experience weekend coming up so you have time to create your character and get thru the tutorial right now and get a feel for things.
    Wdor and Nennius like this.