85 boosted old character, got butt beat by blue.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Pilgrimzero, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Pilgrimzero New Member

So I haven't played since Luclin.

My old warrior wa still around so I used the 85 boost. Came with gear etc nice!

Decided to give the "hot zone" a shot and give it a whirl. Found a nice blue, and figured EQ is supposed to be more soloable now....

And then that blue beat my sorry butt so quickly, I thought I had glitched or something.

Why did this happen and how do i avoid it in the future?

Thanks!
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

3. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Dark blues aren't necessarily easy to solo in heroic gear, and if you didn't go all-access, then you don't have many AAs either, so you're level 85 in name alone, so to speak.
  4. Drusi Augur

Heroics have the same number of AAs as auto-granted AAs at 85 + DON + MPG, so that part is good.

However, the gear is not optimal, basically it is level 80 or so gear.

Start with doing Journeyman 5 quest in Feerrott (all heroics are asigned this quest), that one you should be able to do even with a Warrior and Apprentice Healer Merc.

Warriors are still gear dependent as ever. So you need to start working on augmentations get gear upgrades.

Check your bazaar for gear;
    You can buy Rustic gear at 85: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=102589
    Good Alternative top buy is Reis armor: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97516

Also, you probably want one of the following classes: Chanter/Shaman/BST along for DPS/Buffs/Slow etc.
    Could just go pure DPS, add Wizard + Wizard Merc.

Warriors have never been soloers but are still the best tanks in game.
  5. Vizula-Emarr Elder

Like others said, Con can be decieving and even during the time you played, dark blues were a threat =) But MOST LIKELY, the hot zone you decided to give a whirl could have been foundation. Underfoot expansion did not add levels, just challenging mobs, that place can be tough. Dont give up!
  6. Wayylon Augur

A lvl 105 can still die in Underfoot if they just walk in and auto attack...
  7. WatchmanDreeb New Member

85ish gear is drained on the bazaar on ever server I play on. Pretty much everyone is trying to find bazaar gear for their new free heroic toon(s).
  8. Ryanxp Augur

http://www.almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/guide/

There are still a few key classes that can solo: Necromancer , Shadowknight , Druid , Enchanter , Ranger. Most these classes are not condensed to grouping or going to specific areas. However, for all the classes unable to ease into their levels, check out Almar's Guide. He's written a very specific walk-through for all classes and you'll find yourself going back to some of the areas listed just because of the accuracy.

But you're in luck because level 85 opens up grouping anywhere as long as you can find a group, and you'll find the most groups in-game at levels 85+. Search in General, turn on LFG, and make your own group; unless you're on an unpopulated server, you'll find players/groups within an hour
  9. Ryanxp Augur

And at Lv.85, you're wanting to take on light blue cons solo (until you feel better prepared)
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think it depends if you were in old zones or new ones. Mobs are tougher in the new zones. The ones in the new zones that are blue seem to be equal to red ones in old world zones. Another factor is that around level 85 people on my server start working the hot zones together due to how hard they are from there on up. I would hone your skills in Feerrot on the snakes which are also blue but when you con them will say something like you should be able to kill it and at 85 are good exp.
  12. Cats Meow Journeyman

Same thing happened to me. I only had enough time to hit the FD button! Totally got my face torn off!

Gotta thank Franklin Teek for sending me on that suicide mission, LOL
  13. Vizula-Emarr Elder

Hiya Cats, im sure you have seen from the comments, foundation was from underfoot expansion which just made super tough mobs, its kinda cruel to hotzpne it hehe. And to comment on what you were asking in the video, the reward is definitely the experience, its huge. The item reward is complete garbage.

I havent played monk in quite awhile but from what i understand they lost that tankish ability at some point. You probably remember them differently than they are now.
  14. Cats Meow Journeyman

Yeah, the corpses at the entrance were the first clue for me. :) I guess I should try the Franklin's level 80 quest and see how that goes.

You're right about the Monk's of the past. Nowadays I guess they're just there to pull or add dps. So funny how I was say "I'm going to whoop some azz in there" and I ended up giving him a mere paper cut while my face got torn off, LOL.
  15. Karanthal Augur

Heroic upgrades are pretty much group geared characters from that era. Its never really been possible in EQ to straight up melee mobs anywhere near your level. Even with a healer merc most melee classes struggle to output enough DPS to kill them in a reasonable time and stay alive.

EQ is really a group game, or for a lot of people a 3 box + 3 mercs game. If you want to solo at 85+ you can kite or root/DoT mobs with most of the caster classes, mages are also very capable with a tank pet, healer merc and their own DPS. Raid geared melee classes have always done quite well (monks in particular) with a healer merc, but standard group geared and heroic geared melee are too weak.
  16. Klaoge New Member

Some things I noticed that might help

Turn your merc to balanced instead of passive, you might actually get some healing although don't expect much from that apprentice healer.

You were not using any of your clicky buffs. Heroic armor has clickies on about half the pieces and some of them are actually useful. Particularly the Form of Defense V on the ring will raise your AC a bit.

You should have had a lot more confidence about single pulling that bug too. That's what monks do.

Never played a monk before and I'm not that familiar with Foundation but I think you might want to get better acquainted with the game before trying that again.
  17. DinkumThinku99 Elder

I have a couple of heroic characters in classes I've never played before, and I plan to visit AllaKhazam's site to find some zones with slightly lower level monsters to practice on so I can figure out how all those unfamiliar spells, skills, AAs, clickies, etc. work before I start taking on level-appropriate content.

Actually, I'd probably do the same thing even if the heroic was a character class I'd played before at lower levels. I'd still want time to learn the new stuff before tackling really tough fights.

(But first I have to figure out why my game hangs up and crashes intermittently in newer zones....)
  18. Murphy Elder

just delete :D EQ iz 2 hard 4 u.

J/K

Watch some streamers on Twitch, read some stuff. Do something to study up on the game and class you are rolling.
  19. Malbro Augur

The daily missions, even though they say a simple task, are set up for a group unless you are at least 5 levels above the one for your level. i.e. level 90 to do the 85.

I ran into trouble with my monk, just heroic'd, in Dream Feerott with even light blues.
  20. Cats Meow Journeyman

Thanks for the comments on the video guys. If I set the FTP T2 apprentice healer to balanced, they'll start to heal you too early and get themselves killed. What I do is manually set them to balanced once the health goes to about 50% then they'll give you a big heal instead of lots of little ones. But those complete heals take time to land and at the rate that Genati was hitting me (around 5k) per round, I don't think my monk had a chance.

If you go back and watch the video frame by frame you can see I was going decent damage, but the Genati has an insane poll of HPs to go along with 5k per round damage.

I should've looked into the clickies, but up to this point the low blues I'd faced (earlier expansion) were not a problem at all. I have a videos of my level 85 heroic SK and Warrior easily talking 3 low blues each at a time in Fortress mechanotus.

As for the daily missions, the only one I'd done prior to this was the one in upper guk (level 20s) and I soloed it with a level appropriate character(forgot which one) and was done in 30 minutes.

So yeah, to the comment that EQ is too hard for me, maybe the higher level game is. I'll see what I can do to improve or at least not die so fast, LOL.