64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Karhar Dream Crusher

as much as im gonna love this, im also not gonna love the fact my windows tablet isnt 64 bit and its what i box on tlps with :(
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

What brand of tablet are you using?
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am wondering if the devs will stress test 64-bit on Beta Server and if they will reward Beta Tokens to participate. :)
    Shindius likes this.
  4. Bigstomp Augur

Will we be able to test the 64 bit client alongside the 32 bit client sharing the same data files?
    (I would be expecting to back things up first obviously)

By alongside I mean running 64 or 32 bit without having to restore a backup.
    I don't mean operating them both together at once.
  5. Helicoprion New Member

I definitely hope this handles long standing crashes and instance issues with lag. o_O
  6. Abundant Elder

7. Karhar Dream Crusher

its a nuvision 10.1 inch tablet that i bought for phinny for 130 bucks
    Tarvas likes this.
  8. Sonavaa_Bertox Elder

Please, if you're going to take the time to do this, please also create some method of scaling the interface parts, en masse, so that they can be used on 4k screens without having to manually edit every .xml file and instance of <font>x</font>. Just a simple upscale.xml or .ini that overlays all graphics and fonts/tooltips by some percentage would probably do.

Would be ecstatic with an /uiupscale 001% - 200% command line function.

Begging here. Begging.
    Juicewrld, Vumad, Zwifter and 7 others like this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

A UI revamp is already high on their priority list, afaik. :)
  10. Iven the Lunatic

These are some grave news. It would be more logical to leave EQ at 32 bit and create a new EQ at 64 bit for a free Linux distro. Windows 10 will no longer be supported in just a few years and Microsoft stinks more and more with all its spyware, registrations and hardware restrictions.
    Juicewrld and Gnothappening like this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

So, I'm not really up on video cards and have no idea on what's good/bad. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, and I 3-box with no issues.

Anyone know if that's good enough or should I start saving for a new card?
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't think this is related to video cards in any way. it is more of a CPU/Windows issue...
  13. Schadenfreude Augur

It should be fine and now is not the time to be shopping for a new video card if you can avoid it.
    Shindius and Leerah like this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yeah, when the previous card went out a few months ago, I kind of went into a panic looking at the prices of newer cards. Luckily, the repair shop had an almost identical card sitting around (the one I have in there now), and it only cost like $130.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  15. Xendo New Member

Be very interesting to see where you can take it with 64-bit.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id say yes. They say that it will allow the game to load more into memory rather than reading off the hard drive. That says faster zoning to me.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I take that back! the old minimum requirement GPU's have 128 mb ram, while the new minimum GPU's have 256 mb or more.

It may just be related to 64bit driver support, but it might also be a question about texture memory-requirements in future content...
    I would not expect 128 mb GPU memory to be enough anymore, given the talk about "higher resolution art".

Another thing, the new minimum requirement GPU's all supports DX10 or better...
  18. Uoman New Member

Test it for a decade and they'd likely find and address about as many issues as they will when they test it for a month or so.

That's not a shot at DBG. It's simply the reality of the method of testing. Results in a vacuum rarely offer an accurate representation of results in real world application.

You also have to accept that only a small minority participating in beta and on the test server actually have any interest in testing content.

What do you think the odds are that you're going to get enough people actively testing on top of people carrying on as if it were their typical play session across all content? What about stress testing with them mentioning server merges, and not stating they're only talking progression servers? Unless you get everyone on beta boxing two groups each, that's unlikely. About the 2/3 of any server is sitting afk in the GH, GL, PoK, bazaar, etc. (Want to improve lag/stability issues? Start booting afk players after X amount of time like every other mmo out there. There are frequently more people sitting afk inside the small bank in pok than you can find actively playing across any given expansion.)

There's really just no way to get an accurate representation of how something will perform until it goes live. That sucks, especially considering this is a point of no return, but it's the reality of a game like EQ.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Depends on where the zoning bottleneck is...It is my impression that the zoning time is not related to data or memory sizes, but is held back by some server-related hand-shaking/syncing protocol...

I think that zoning times will actually be unchanged or maybe slightly slower, as they will read more data into memory.
    Otoh I expect that there will be less stuttering when meeting new players or stream-able objects(like trees), as the models/ornaments will be better cached.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would hope that when it lands on the test server more people would at least login once to make sure they have no issues.
    Shindius and Keella like this.