62 Ranger and struggling...help?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Tadkins, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Tadkins Elder

So I hit 62 not too long ago and I feel like I've hit a wall. It takes me a long time to kill anything and I can't so much as take on a single blue mob without my healer mercenary holding my hand.

I asked around in General earlier and figure it might be due to my gear. I was grouped with a Berserker last night who was literally hitting for twice what I was. I'm in mostly full Defiant gear at the moment with a Flawed 2h sword. According to Almar's guide it's because of that gear that I'm struggling, but it doesn't offer too much advice on what sort of gear I should be aiming for. I'm a long-time returning player and this is my highest level character, so I feel like I don't really have a lot of options for farming. My plan right now is to farm up some low level dungeons for money in hopes of buying some better gear. Any advice?
  2. beryon Augur

Defiant is pretty much as good as it gets at your level, if you keep it current. At 62, you should be upgrading to Elaborate Defiant. As a dual wielder, you're generally better off with two 1h weapons. Don't worry so much about max hit; what matters is dps (damage per second).

If you're having trouble finding affordable Defiant, type /ach and check out the Hero's Journey tab. Most of the achievements give gear rewards. Pick a level range you feel you can handle, check the rewards, and do the quests to fill in any slots you need upgraded.

Also, talk to Franklin Teek in PoK for the daily hotzone quests. This will give you a nice chunk of xp as well as a free piece of Defiant gear for the back, waist, or shoulder slot. Note that you can pick up multiple level quests as long as you get them all at once; once you do one of them, you're stuck with an 18 hour timer before you can get more.

There are also some NPCs selling Defiant-type jewelry near the Loyalty vendor. You can also check the bazaar and/or harass a tradeskiller for trio jewelry. It's a bit complicated, but you can play around with the combos here. Basically, you want a setting that has a rec. level less than 5 levels above yours (Palladium, for you) then you put in cut gems with different stats & effects.

What server are you on? If you're on Drinal, I might be able to dig some stuff up for you.
    AB-Muvien and Tadkins like this.
  3. Tadkins Elder

Thanks for the response. I'll try and acquire two Elaborate 1h'ers as soon as possible. I spent about everything I had just recently buying a set of Intricate jewelry from the vendor along with my new spells. I've been doing the Franklin Teek quests but the last one was what prompted me to make this post; it took about an hour and a half just to kill five nocs in the Bloodfields.

I appreciate the offer, unfortunately I'm on Erollisi Marr. xD
  4. AB-Muvien Elder

Beryon got it pretty spot on, not much else to add there. Get two 1handers and use your healer merc, as you have been, then hang in there for about 30 levels untill the game opens up again for groups.

Right now you're in a spot where soloing isnt too easy and groups are most likely very hard to get. It will get better though :)

Join serverwide.outrider : outrider if you want. Its often quiet in channel but can usually get questions answered there.
  5. Tadkins Elder

Yup, I hear that. It looks like two of some of the most solo unfriendly spots in the game are coming up as hotzones, too (Undershore and Plane of Air). It's going to be a tough ride.
  6. AB-Muvien Elder

As I recall Dragonscale hills, looping planes and later on Hills of Shade should be pretty descent xp at your lvl.

Lots of animals in those zones too ;)
  7. Brohg Augur

Are the Headshot AAs worth using/abusing at that level? where are there level 60 humanoids?
  8. AB-Muvien Elder

Not sure if its worth using headshot at that lvl. Would have to find some humanoid mobs around lvl 48-50 due to the way headshot works at those aa lvls
  9. Brohg Augur

Headshot's functionality wasn't changed for all tiers?
  10. Tadkins Elder

Speaking of Headshot, should I be stopping my leveling right now to grind some AAs for it? Also, will there be a point where I should be killing things with my bow instead of melee?
  11. Brohg Augur

Archery's never best dps, but it is a way to solo when groups aren't available
  12. AB-Muvien Elder

Im honestly not sure if the lower tiers of headshot was changed at the patch last year.

Tadkins - Keeping headshot updated as you level will give you another angle to attack xp grinding as you level up.

Heres a link to zam's headshot page maybe you can find some info there.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:headshot

bowandarrow.org used to have a very good guide but it seems like its offline now. Maybe you can find a cached version somewhere :)
  13. Brohg Augur

Alla's definitely documenting the old version. The replacement ability will work on any humanoid that's blue to you when you get the current rank of the AA.

Based on its list, though, can pick out a spot to try it :) The lv62 rank of Headshot should do great on goblins in The Steppes zone, or on pirates in The Barren Coast
  14. Tadkins Elder

Alrighty, thanks everyone for your help. :)

I'll go ahead and lock exp for a while to grind out Headshot.
  15. Viper1 Augur

All of these are fine suggestions, but if you really want to level at a decent rate, learn how to 2-box (or 3 box). The mid level 70s are even worse, so best to start boxing now rather than hit another wall in 10 levels and be even less prepared.
  16. Picaresque Augur

At 62, with elaborate defiant gear and a healer merc, I hit the Hole (Ruins of Old Paineel) from the drop down. You will kill slowly at first. See if you can get a DS from a friendly Mage. The cash you make canb be used to upgrade your equipment and the mobs there are have much lower HP than later expansions.

I stayed there until 69. The Guild Lobby will be your friend once you hit 65 and definitely at 67, because then you can receive Flameweaving DS and all sorts of buffs.

Your tanking ability changes a lot at 70-71 due to gear choices. Currently I am slaughtering Murkglider mobs in WoS at level 71 (thank you Teek and double xp), having upgraded a few spots with Archaic Chain gear. Guess I am not much of an archery Ranger.
  17. Ratbo Peep Augur

The Werewolf camp in PoNightmares wasn't bad at that level.
    Fastest way to get to max gear is to pony up (1 time) for a Krono - sell it for a Mil - and gear to the MAX.
    Then earn your own keep from there.
    And keep doing the Teek dailies - fastest exp in game for your level.
    -Rat
  18. Orienn TreeHugger

When I couldn't find a group I would go to the steppes or loping plains to kite. But wall of slaughter is pretty decent xp at that level. Killing at lower levels is pretty tedious.
  19. Thistleborn New Member

If op is still checking this thread, i am on emarr as well. Have a shattered emerald that can be if you are near the end of 1.0 epic. Name is Torth, will have 2 days off
  20. lancelove Augur

Enjoy the slowness of it. Eventually you will be 105, max aa and then....