50 Ft. Range

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eggolas, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Eggolas Augur

How does one tell if a character is within a 50-foot range of a target? I am assuming that the distance is sufficient for range attacks (e.g., bow) but close enough for discs (e.g., jolting kicks) to work and proc synergy. Is that correct?
  2. Nniki Augur

There's unfortunately no built in way to view the distance between you and a target. You simply have to move forward/backward until you're where you need to be. It would be a nice addition to the target and extended target windows though.

You can calculate your distance, but it's probably not something you want to do in the midst of battle. :p

Distance = sqrt((X2 - X1)^2 + (Y2 - Y1)^2)

/loc at target
    /loc at your position
    Kobra likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Key words there :)
    Koryu and Nniki like this.
  4. Annastasya Augur

if the discs you are referring to require you to be in melee range of the mob, then the answer is varying, as not every mob has the same melee range. In general very large monsters can be attacked from further away, while very small monsters require you to be much closer.
  5. Eggolas Augur

Thanks, Nniki and others who answered. I came across a Brohg post from about two years ago where he was discussing the allocation of Ranger AAs in synergy, even if the Ranger primarily used a bow. It appeared to me that the post was suggesting that there was a distance where both the bow could be used as well as the kicks required to trigger the synergy. I assume that would also be the case for Rogue "Barrage" synergy while throwing.

[Puts idea for developers in suggestion box.]
  6. Thraine Augur

the answer is .. just outside of being too close to use a bow.

i use a audio trigger when i get the "too close message" so i can easily tell when im too close to use my bow, i just step back a few steps till the AT stops going off and normally im in range for my disc kick.

its a pain in the tho, making our synergy melee related while giving us heavy bow dmg i assume was just DBGs way of screwing with is
  7. Belexes ForumQuester

Practice, practice, practice. I do it now without even thinking about it too much. I rarely have to adjust my position. Golems usually throw me off because when you are in range for those abilities to work, you look much closer to them than other mobs.

I do it just by my eyeballs.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Square Root is an expensive operation, faster to just do "if ((X2 - X1)^2 + (Y2 - Y1)^2 <= 2500.0)"