24 dollars 12 cents a month to play EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Astehroth, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Astehroth Elder

If you live in the UK. Compared to $14.99 in the US.

I guess I better start looking at other MMOs to play when my subscription runs out in March.
  2. Trevor Elder

Europe is one of the worst places to live to play MMOs. You're ip banned from a lot of good ones, and the ones you aren't are usually pay to win or bad subscription games (all games that have subscriptions in 2012, almost 2013, are bad).

I suggest another genre to play more casually... something like Brawl Busters. Or even Dragon Nest/Vindictus if they're in europe now.
  3. Oranges Augur

Vindictus costs much more than Everquest. While it seems F2P on the surface, you'll quickly realise that items can be enhanced and enchanted, but to do this without breaking the item it will cost real-life money, they sell "protection rune", each rune costs 20$ or so.

Imagine each time you augment an item in Everquest you have a chance it fails and you lose the augment, and the item. If you don't want to lose the item you pay $20 for the rune protection, but you can still lose the augment on a failure, so you keep farming augmentations and keep spending money so you don't end up losing your item. That's what Vindictus is like.

A +15 weapon (enhanced 15 times) is about 3 times as powerful as a normal weapon, and over +10 you can't use protection runes anymore, so you keep destroying your item and you keep spending money until you get a +15 weapon, which will cost you a few hundred dollar at least.
  4. Tobynn Augur

Ah yes, yet another expert in international trade law crying out about unfair pricing.

Probably think that 1 Euro = 1.293 USD and that's all there is to it. Anything above and beyond that must just be SOE price gouging the UK out of spite, right? Not as if their are any laws that your country imposes upon non-domestic organizations, laws to which they must comply if they wish to do business in your country, laws that increase the cost of doing business in the UK. Nah. Couldn't possibly be that.

Good luck on your search for a new MMO, one based outside of the UK, one that offers a free-to-play model so you won't have to pay a single pence in subscriptions. Then, you can pay a 60% premium on microtransactions and be happy about it.
  5. CaRnon Augur

Your "im gonna quit if i dont get my way" Is not gonna make the SoE gods bow down to you. Might try to reason with them.. People normaly dont react well to threats
    Voodoman likes this.
  6. Trevor Elder

Enchants are easily farmed, and items are nearly irrelevant in that game anyway. It only costs more if you insist on having the best (which, again, is pretty useless), and only if you also are bad at making money in-game.
    Corporations are people?
  7. Tobynn Augur

I must assume the OP intends to forego the use of any and all imported goods and services. Since, you know, the stuff sells for less in its country of origin than it does in the UK market.

Consistency is key.
  8. Leerah Augur

If their predictions of ProSeibenSat's customer service are realized, they just got screwed twice. I wouldn't put up with it. Too much bad stuff too soon.
  9. Astehroth Elder

I made a statement of intent thats all.

If the pricing in the US went upto $24 dollars the forums would look like a nuclear bomb hit them so think on before you criticise.
    Leerah likes this.
  10. Caudyr Augur

If pricing in the US went up to $24 dollars, it'd mean that it'd probably be at least $30 for you, I bet...but probably $35-40 or more.

That being said, it would indeed be like a nuclear bomb went off.
  11. WarSheol Augur

I read through most of this thread, is this purely a government related price hike out there?
    Some of what ive seen seems to be out of SoE's hands
    EQ does have the Free to Play option if it comes to that but its sorta limited in what all you can do.

I know there will be a euro company producing a branch of EQ in the near future with its own servers, I have no clue what they might charge per month it might be less, but I then you have to choose between staying on a US server with your friends you have been with or leaving it for a better price.

And to be honest I have no idea who sets the price for a month sub over there, do you know? it is possible this is not any thing SoE has done.

Cant any one from the US send you game cards? I do know Soon'ish the market place will sell Korona's which can be traded in game and grant 30 days of game play, but those might still be a few months away
    Do they have discounted yearly pay plans as an option? I got lucky they had a 25% price cut on yearly subs which where already a lowered ammount for the 12 month plan so now it averages $7 a month and is reaccuring

Hope you find a solution
  12. Oranges Augur

The OP is from the UK, which is I believe the only EU country still not using the Euro.

In the rest of Europe, MMO prices are perfectly normal and completely in line with $ prices.

Everquest:
    [IMG]

Rift:
    [IMG]
  13. boukk_sebilis Augur

While not as much as out of line as the uk, it still is more than what the usa customer pay for.
  14. Tarrin Augur

Obvious solution is to just move to America.
  15. Izcurly Augur

Some of the difference is not obvious to US readers, unless they're well-traveled like me.

In the UK, most goods and services including EQ, are charged a 20% VAT (sales tax). That tax is typically included in the advertised price, while in the US one expects taxes to be excluded from the advertised price and tacked on at the time of sale. Of course, most of the US doesn't tax EQ subscriptions at all, but the point is that 20% of the original posters price goes to the UK government, not Sony.

It should be noted that the rest of the European Union also uses VAT, but the rates and exceptions will vary by country.
  16. Astehroth Elder

I would like you to explain how then I only play 20% extra for RoF expansion but 60% extra for EQ subscription.
  17. Mykaylla Augur

~Shrugs~ I have lived in the United States and Australia.
    I started playing EQ while living in the US.
    Two of my accounts were created in the US. The third and most recent was created in Australia.
    Even though the Australian dollar is currently stronger (just barely) than the US dollar, and has been that way for quite some time, I pay more for the subscription in straight up dollars (that are worth more) for the third account, than for the other two. Even though I pay for all three from the same credit card. Expansions and station cash bought *through* SOE also cost more for the third account.
    I am not from a country with a VAT. I'm not doing anything different, it was just created in Australia.

Is it annoying? Sure. There's no good reason for it. For now, I accept it. If the OP doesn't wish to, fair enough.
  18. Slayed New Member

Am I missing something? I know if you look at memberships in game you see £14.99 / month but log into your account on the website choose memberships and i see this:

[IMG]

Now unless sterling has tanked pretty bad in the last few days £8.99 = $14.something ish so where has $24 come from? Other than converting £14.99 from in game cost which would get to $24ish (i think)
    CaRnon and Voodoman like this.
  19. Astehroth Elder

:)
  20. Slayed New Member

Or you've discovered their devious plan to jack up the prices SoE charges to £ / Euro players to make P7S.1 prices comparatively cheaper and thus to quote Smed "I want to be clear that Prosieben will have better European CS and payment options IMO" - where better options, read cheaper :p

That or i'm just cynical.
  21. Xnao Augur

100% true.
    CaRnon likes this.