24 box of mages destroying HG on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dlovin2, Mar 19, 2019.

1. RolePlayith Journeyman

I never said get nothing for it, you said that. I believe strongly in getting an enormous amount for it. So much that you don't really need to return, except for people who missed out (that you care about). No scarcity, you kill the mob and it drops everything it can drop for as many people as it was intended to be killed with (with MOTM in early expacs, that's about 60 people). Currently they drop part of their loot table, and only about 3 people get something. So you have to return endlessly. This creates the scarcity.

I don't want to kill these mobs more than a few times, that leads to burn out. That makes me not want to play on the yearly new TLP, regardless of the ruleset, I'm done with it, burnt out.
  2. RolePlayith Journeyman

Making the loot no-drop actually doesn't fix anything, because people will happily sell you loot rights. It is not quite as fungible as something they can take to the tunnels and sell at their leisure, but it's pretty effective, and they absolutely will destroy the item if there are no takers.

Faster spawn rates I totally agree with, I don't really know why they're so long.

Mkaing the mobs "harder" is orthogonal to this conversation, except that you are attempting to remove AE groups from contention, which I'm completely against, unless they finally figure it out that slow XP is terrible for everyone and they radically increase it across the board on all servers. Even then, I really enjoy AE groups, so I think some zones should be reserved for that. Chain pull groups are boring, particularly if you play an AE oriented class. Increasing the XP per mob, particularly for BLUE mobs, would at least reduce the amount of time anyone needs to use the zone, relieving the pressure.
  3. Spayce Augur

The presence of this thread suggests folks have yet to grasp the business model behind TLP servers...

DBG launches a TLP server. Thousands of folks rush to join it from the start, each spending 1 krono to play for a month. The boxers spend upwards of 20+ krono to start. This represents a huge cash infusion from a dead game that generates little cash any other way.

Players slowly quit the server, and less krono is consumed as a result. Once a server drops below some level of krono consumption, DBG couldn't care less about it.

So DBG opens up another TLP server a year later to get another wave of krono consumption. This time, as a special anniversary gift to themselves, they opened 2 TLP servers to get an even larger cash infusion.

Folks need to wake up. DBG doesn't care about you playing this game long term. They care about everyone being stupid enough to think "this TLP will be different" and join the next TLP to provide the cash bump they need. These boxers paying 20+ krono per month and driving demand for more casual players to buy even more krono are the lifeblood of TLP server profitability. They aren't going anywhere. Ever.
    Scruff likes this.
  4. Joobs New Member

/facepalm ... duh? These forums are terrible.
  5. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I remember the old days, when gaming companies were about the art, not making money. /bong rip
  6. Candystore Augur

If you knew you would get a +1 longsword every time you wouldn't be playing either.

The MMORPG model has little to do with risk / reward, or roleplaying, but more with randomness.

Getting a random reward is far more addictive than getting a known reward. Not getting a reward is more addictive than getting a known reward.

It's not knowing what you will get which makes you play. The brain is far more active right before you get loot than when you actually get it. It's the randomness that makes games addictive.

You're not actually playing to get the longsword, that's not what excites the brain. You might think that's why you play, but that's not why you play. What excites the brain is the moment right before you get the reward, the brain is extremely active at that stage, it doesn't know if the longsword will drop or not.

Everything in MMORPG is based on randomess, because developers know that's why people play. Named spawns are random, loot drops are random, skillups are random, tradeskill combines have random success, etc.

Randomness is what gets people hooked on social media too. Will they get a like, will they not, when will they get a like, who will they get a like from, etc. It's all based on randomness, which makes it addictive.
  7. Candystore Augur

note that dopamine is not released when you get the reward, but before you get the reward

the anticipation is the addictive element, the more random the reward, the more dopamine is released in the anticipaton stage

That is why mobs in EQ spawn randomly, why tradeskill combines are ranom, why loot is random. It's not the loot that makes you play, it's the randomness right before you get loot, you get excited before you get loot, not when you get loot, and the more random that loot is distributed in a game, the more addictive the game is.

8. Machentoo Augur

Exactly. Hence, the game is built around scarcity.
    Dythan likes this.
  9. Ghostdog New Member

Petition and use every characters name in the box group get them out of the game .
    Its I believe a violation to monopolize and entire area and not share too now .
    There is only really one area hill with Hill Giants now .
  10. Ceffener Augur

If you want to argue game design and psychology. You can just as easily get dopamine from defeating challenging content within a game that has 0 loot. The “reward” is over coming a challenge and personally getting better.

Gambling based game mechanics are not the only way to reward players, just the way MMOs typically reward players.
  11. Elemenopi Augur

Not tough to detect really, for the objective minded.

Those who do not fit that description will tell us that we "cant know for sure" how some script kiddies (on a good day) are subverting detection in a 20 year old game.
  12. a_librarian Augur

That's not against the rules, you might be thinking of 'zone disruption' which basically means training the out of other groups
  13. Elemenopi Augur

Single player games, sure. Consoles did this for decades.

But nowhere near enough people would play that MMO to keep it afloat financially. Especially a sword and sorcery style RPG MMO.

Ive seen enough games create higher difficulty settings while adding zero new progression for communities which complain the game is too easy. Most die off within 6-8 months. Those who already mastered the system and know the META will simply skip playing the higher setting in favor of grinding out what they want even faster from the lower settings. As this continues to bore them, the attrition increases.
  14. Machentoo Augur

You keep saying this and providing no backup.

Again: How can you tell, as a player, whether someone is using one computer with VM's or multiple computers? I am not talking about whether they are scripting, or what the toons do, just their hardware setup. You've repeatedly stated this is possible but given no indication whatsoever how. I call .
    Accipiter likes this.
  15. Elemenopi Augur

You contradict yourself yet again on the "cant possibly know for sure" claim, with this little diddy right here.

Totally undetectable, couldnt possible know for sure. hmm hmmm.

Seems legit. :p
  16. Elemenopi Augur

17. Elemenopi Augur

18. Ceffener Augur

But loot doesn’t have to be extremely scarce either. People can hate/diss WoW all they want, but it is highly successful. Highly successful with challenging raids (tiered difficulty also) and large amounts of loot rewarded to all participants. A fantasy MMO can be successful with more than 4 people out of a 72 person raid getting loot.
    Thalliius likes this.
  19. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'm curious how much pp per hour does a 24 man group make at the hill giants?
  20. Machentoo Augur

Thanks for not even reading my post.

I am asking specifically about detecting VM's, NOT detecting scripting. You made the statement earlier in the thread that you could tell if someone is using a VM. I am asking for the 10th time, how?