2 new TLPs announced for 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elbereth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Elskidor Augur

How about tweaked with FV ruleset with LDoN/Ysheka included with PoP and release every 2 month unlocks instead of 3? = b
  2. Elskidor Augur

As someone that only boxes 2 characters, true box is actually much better than alt+tab for me. I enjoy boxing that way, but it does put up some roadblocks to other people that want to legitimately box and aren't out to be malicious. The people that are purposely creating 20 box armies will find a way regardless so the system might be hindering the wrong customers. True Pay is something I could totally get behind though.
    Sabi and Quill like this.
  3. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Casual server = Faster XP, AoC and you can't kill Naggy
    Hardcore server = Wannabe server that you won't even have to do corpse runs on, will be ded before SoV, cause all the "hardcores" are secretly soft AF and will jump ship after a few weeks.
  4. TLP Addict Augur

Yeah we all know there will be "That one guy" that will start a "hardcore" guild on the "casual" server because he wants to wave his Ewang about but not actually have to deal with real competition.
    Chatoyan, Rajaah and Punchu like this.
  5. Boze TLP complaint factory

GNOME.
    BEASTLORDS.
  6. ForumBoss Augur

One thought as to casual vs hardcore (besides clothing jokes). I felt that the server rules themselves of Phinigel were fairly casual. However, all guilds seemed to raid 12-20 hours + per week, which I feel is extremely hardcore. I do enjoy playing the game quite a bit, but having so many hours in the week dedicated to a block of time with full attention is a bit much for an adult with a job and who has at least 1 other "hobby" such as staying fit or being social. I don't think expansion unlocks should be too slow though, as people get bored and leave.

FV loot rules would help people that want more flexible hours attain a couple key raid pieces, such as a shield or weapon, by saving up group content drops. This aspect is fun on the FV server.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

Balancing life and EQ is really hard. Ultimately, life is what prevents anyone from competing with the most uber EQ players, and that's just a fact.

However... even if you wanted to join a hardcore guild, if the server was free trade then you could easily do the batphones and raiding while simply trading for or buying (plat or DKP) quest items. I'm sure if it is free trade there will be a plethora of new ways to play the game that will spike krono sales. Who really wants to camp keys when you can hit up the EC tunnel and be done!
  8. Magic Augur

For you maybe, but for me FV ruleset is necessarily :) I not hardcore, but will choose hardcore server if it will have FV ruleset and casual one not.
  9. Jontrann Augur

Actually i'm in the same boat as you. I tend to like faster exp rates but if the hardcore server gets the FV ruleset ill end up playing there instead.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

The prices of top tier in-era raid gear would be unaffordable to most people so they'd end up "earning" it anyways. But really, AOC's killed the entire idea of gear exclusivity. After playing on Agnarr and seeing what happened once POP dropped, you really let the ego go.
  11. ForumBoss Augur

The all/all stuff might be, but I'd wager some class-specific or common stuff would be reasonable given that so many guilds would be farming AoC's, and some guilds will get 10 paladin items (which could outfit the entire server of paladins). Think class only haste items in posky, ghoulbane, any leather armor, and the class only gear in ToV/PoTime/SSRA. Previous expansion raid weapons are leaps and bounds better than current group weapons, so buying old stuff is worth it as well.
  12. Zipe The Healer

I wonder why everything thinks that a Truebox server (thus disallowing some third party software) is casual.
    Why do you guys think that being able to run 12 accounts on same PC makes it hardcore? I think that it makes it easier, not harder.
    Btw, the so-called third partty software doesn't run on truebox servers because devs from both parties decided to disallow it, not because "it is detected".

Hardcore server doesn't mean "your personal nerd dream server" (pvp, FV-loot rules, AoC, no truebox, mercs at lvl 1, level locked and wood elf beastlords, and everything else)
    Punchu and Polekn like this.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

Casual is in relation to gaming effort. Playing 1 account is, by definition, less effort than playing 2, 3, 4 or more accounts.

I can box 2 lazily or play 1 character hardcore, but that's really neither here nor there. It seems to me the intent of true box is to encourage more "classic" gameplay, which by every measure it certainly does. I played EQ from Classic into the start of Luclin, and I knew 1 boxer acquaintance. There were undoubtedly more, but my experience is not unique. The players that want to "relive" EQ are going to play on a TLP and that just does not harmonize with 1-man armies.

TLDR: not remotely classic.
  14. Zipe The Healer

Where does that definition of casual comes from? What makes it easier is the capacity to log in and start farming. Once you don't need to go LFG to do something, the game becomes easier since your farmtime increases and you don't need to play the social metagame.
    Casual means non-regular. A Casual player is that one that don't log in on a fixed schedule. Casual doesn't mean "less effort while playing so I can watch TV" or "less money spent into the game" and don't necessarily means "less time spent into the game".
    That said, doesn't it make more sense for non-truebox to go to casuals than hardcores? A casual, with his erratic playtimes or reduced playtimes or unscheldued play times will benefit from boxing more than a hardcore player whos huge playtime lets him play the social metagame.
  15. Komaf New Member

Having all classes from start would be an interesting twist. Beastlord and Berzerkers from start...

I could a lot of people finding that interesting.
  16. snailish Augur

Casual is less playtime in a given period. Not less capable of playing the game.

Fast, really fast XP is great for a casual target audience.
    Box armies are a major turn off.
    The rest of Phinny rules work great for a casual audience...

...with the exception of 3 month unlocks. An Ultra-casual server should not be aimed at "keeping the raid guilds interested with fast enough unlocks". You want that you play on Phinny/Coirnav (or the hardcore server that probably will have racing unlocks). Raiding isn't a focus of the casual, though they may dabble in it. Raiding burnout for an era should take a casual force a long time to hit.

Ultra casual should mean you play your 3 hours this week, 7 hours next week made it to 50 within 4-5 months... okay I can jump in on a naggy raid 1 time in the next month with the casual family guild that hits targets once or twice a week with nonmandatory attendance. 6 months should be the minimum unlock length for Ultra casual. If they go with 8-10 months and it is a ghost town... shrugs. It was offered and the people didn't actually want it. Even if it dies "early", I bet it would be fine until Luclin at least.

Long unlocks with fast XP keep the population in the same band, lets some go alt nuts if they put in more than casual play time. Let's others play heavy for a few weeks then go away for 2 months and not be tragically behind. Let Ultra casual actually be that.
    Mestops12 and andross77 like this.
  17. Barathrum Augur

Ultra Casual
    Starts in OOW Locked 6 months then 4 month expansion unlocks( this will exclude POR this will be a 1 month expansion if you have objections to this i am sorry to inform you that your wrong and your just trolling Also prathrum and the other devs said they were going to remove the flagging for POR this may be a rumor / myth / lie but since you can not prove me wrong we will go with this as truth. )
    FV Rule set Fast exp
    Pick Zones !!
    True Box
    AOC
    Raid mobs drop double or even TRIPLE loot drops WERE CASUAL
    Double Rare mobs with double loot tables !!! Casual !!!!
    Spawn times based on kill rate
    Lower threshold for pick zones
    MOTM

HARDCORE Starts in classic because its super hardcore
    Slow exp because super hardcore
    Charm Removed
    Melee AA removed
    Focus effects removed
    Corpse Runs
    NO PICK ZONES WERE HARDCORE
    NO AOCS THIS IS HOW EQ IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED
    MOTM HARDCORES CAN HANDLE
    No Truebox
    FV Rule set because why not!
  18. Alarya Augur

An interesting idea would be to have 2 TLP servers drop at once. One would be starting with Luclin and past expansions, but it is classic rules and a no box server and is perma locked. The other starts in classic and unlocks with votes, and as soon as they unlock Luclin they merge the two servers.
  19. Moranis Augur

Honestly - the casual server will probably have higher exp rates and slower unlocks whereas the hardcore server will probably have lower exp rates and faster unlocks.

I don't think DBG will differentiate between the two servers when it comes to truebox, mob difficulty, or anything else like that. The two variables they love controlling are xpac unlocks and exp rates.
    Trevalon likes this.
  20. jeskola pheerie

What free drugs does the Hardcore Server get?