2 Factor / Authenticator / Mobile APP

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rhaage, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Rhaage Augur

Koryu likes this.
  2. Geri_Petrovna Augur

is Daybreak Defender iApple only?
  3. Koryu Professional Roadkill

To Management:
    [IMG]
    Thank you!
    Players have been asking for these for a long time. According to the iTunes App Store, Daybreak Defender was updated on October 23, so it has been available for at least that long. Since 2-factor authorization was a vocally desired aspect of account security, and you guys could use any sort of positive press these days, you probably should have made an announcement that it even existed. I downloaded the app within 30 seconds of seeing this thread. I would still like to see this code required for character transfer services as well, but at least you've taken the first step!

For Players:
    The code is only used for logging into your account; I changed my password which only required that I answer the "secret question." It confused me for a little while, but the code generated by the app is tacked on to the end of your account's normal password in the password field (I expected there to be an additional security code field for log-in, but the server was refusing my correct password). Also, once the app has been activated for your account, that applies to forum log-ins as well. Just be aware that signing into the forums now requires you to have access to your phone, an unexpected annoyance but a small price to pay for better security.
  4. Baza New Member

Where can i buy a Daybreak Authenticator, the daybreak web sight doesn't have any?
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The one they were selling bombed so they discontinued it and the 2 step is what is left.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002980587-How-Do-I-Set-Up-2-Step-Authentication

From an old twitter post
    Daybreak Games Help
    @DaybreakHelp
    ·
    Feb 12, 2019
    Hello! Unfortunately, the Daybreak Defender is no longer being supported, we can get it removed from the account if you open a support ticket at http://help.daybreakgames.com
  6. Yara_AB Augur

The "authenticator" (the keyfob thingy) still works. I have two here - although they happen to lose functionality after a while due to the button getting somehow like "glue" and being sticky and not working anymore (this usually happens because you have to press that button with your fingers - pressing with gloves on would avoid this).

That is why i keep my 2nd one packed in plastic so it never really got touched by human fingers.
    (Fun fact: the Blizzard keyfob from vasco, too, doesn't have that problem)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem they are still selling the fobs. The App they once had also was available on iOS only - the android app never came to life.

Not having reliable 2FA authentication for games these days is a bad thing - especially because you cannot expect much help from CS if stuff gets deleted, moved to FV and sold, ...

Aside from the no-longer-sold authenticators and the no-longer-available app: Why don't they just implement google authenticator like everybody else does?
    Works on about every mobile device and is widely used.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Isn't that what they currently have? The 2 - step authentication I linked. That they use to flag certain accounts to set up secure access after suspicious activity caught by DBG programs? The one they force certain accounts to use:D
  8. Yara_AB Augur

what they do use is sort of an extra 2 factor auth.
    They do send you a textmessage or something to your phone. To my understanding they don't request that 2nd auth every time upon login.

So far I couldn't find them still selling the physical key fobs anymore (nor the iOS app).

This is was the physical thing: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/Authenticators_(SOE)
    But noticing that the FAQ pretty much is the original faq by SOE back then ... mine might reach end-of-(battery)-life "soon".

When I go to https://account.daybreakgames.com/authenticated/cam/authenticator/manage!input.action I do see the phone-authenticator on the left and mine on the right.
    But I cannot find them selling the keyfob anywhere anymore.

Both also read completely different:
    To me it looks like 2-step verification only comes into play when you try to change your password or when they want you to verify account ownership.

Authenticator generates a code you have to attach to your password at every login.

I highlighted the differences. Also found twitter replies from dpg / dgc claiming that their 2-step verification is "better" than what they had before.
    Well - better is when someone cannot even log into the account. If they can guess a password and log in the damage is about to happen already.
    Just keeping them from changing the password isn't much help if they are after mischief with the characters.