105 mage help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SavEightynine, Jun 21, 2017.

1. SavEightynine New Member

Hello all,
    Ive been an off and on player in EQ for the last 15 years, i really only played duo with with my brother. Level 105 now and been focusing all AA's into pet Def, so my offense is horrible. Any thoughts on what i should be focusing on to up my dps, cuz im really no help in groups if my pet aint tanking, spell rotation would help too just to make sure im casting correctly, with servant, fickle and bolt. Thx for taking a look and TC
  2. Just_Another_SK Elder

Im not a mage but here goes, In groups i see alot of mages use water pet (have been told its best dps) - you also want the best pet focus possible for your level - besides that gear upgrades to arms (fire focus) - Head (magic focus) may help , as far as casting goes the mages i group with pretty much rotate servant, Nukes, and short duration big payoff Damage shields ... anyways saw noone had replied yet so figured id help with the little knowledge i have from grouping with mages :)
    SavEightynine likes this.
  3. SavEightynine New Member

Thx man
    ill start rotating the damage shields more, as for gear im just missing a couple T1 pieces from EoK. Appreciate the reply!
  4. Thesehips Journeyman

Water pet's nice but I prefer air pet myself. Good for tank or dps with its stuns. Give it some hate swords and I can actually throw all 3 my enc dots on the mob usually if I feel lazy with tanking on her.
    DPS wise, I like to throw in bolts, many line nukes, servents, and i wanna say one more but can't think of it. Keep the main DS going, use 2.0 if got it, dicho is nice, keep up with burnout (pet haste), and combat innate ds is nice to keep up too, but not needed.
    SavEightynine likes this.
  5. Just_Another_SK Elder

yeah sorry most content I do is yellow / Reds at 105 and air pets stun doesn't land on them, so for the content we do she uses water for more dps :)
  6. Cicelee Augur

Rotating damage shields?!?! The bleep bleep Halfling bleep!!!!!

First off.... no. Don't rotate damage shields in a DPS weave.

Secondly... as far as AA goes to improve DPS, you want to use the following when burning down a named (or rotate them when they refresh)-

Focus of Arcanum
    First Spire
    Heart of Flames/Elemental Union (Heart of Flames first, when that fades Elemental Union)
    Improved Twincast

Spire eventually gets a 7:30 minute refresh timer, Focus gets a 10 minute, IIRC Heart/Elemental get 14-16 minute refreshes, and Improved Twincast gets 16 minute refresh. Again you can hold all of this for that one named every three hours, or use them as you go to maximize DPS.

Thirdly... as far as spells goes, here is what I do when I solo/box/group-

Chaotic Fire
    Remorseless Servant
    105 Spear
    Chaotic Fire
    100 Spear
    101 Bolt (or wait 0-2 seconds and start at the top with Chaotic/RS/105 Spear/etc)

You always want to use Force of Elements AA every 30 seconds when it refreshes.
    You always want to lead off with AA Malo on a mob, unless someone else is debuffing the mob.
    You always want Theft of Essence aura on your pet; if it is not on, then cast Storm of Many every time it refreshes EXCEPT after Remorseless Servant until you get Theft of Essence.
    You generally, if not always, want to use spell Twincast when it refreshes. I only save it if I know Heart/EU/First Spire is about to refresh.
    You want to get 10/10 on Conjurer Synergy.
    You want to use Firebound Orb when it refreshes EXCEPT after Remorseless Servant, although if you click it after that it is not that bad of a thing. You also want to continually resummon your Firebound Orb once the 10 charges fades.

This should be enough to at least get the ball rolling IMHO. There are other things you can do, but considering you were at least thinking of rotating damage shields (Halfling bleeping Halfling) then the above will do wonders for you...
    Pootle likes this.
  7. SavEightynine New Member

Cicelee thanks much man, big big help with the response! Only prob im having is i cant find Conjurer Synergy, looked it up and increases dmg on spells but dont c it in my AA's
  8. SavEightynine New Member

Nvm found it in Focus tab. !00 AA"s a point, got sum work to do! =)
  9. Felicite Augur

Edit: Well, hell.. while I typed that out he found it.
  10. fransisco Augur

Rotating shields - are we playing eve online? It sounds fun!

But really, the short term DS were not optimal damage even when we first got them in PoP.
    For them to be worth casting, considering crit changes, damage focus of nukes ect, they'd need to be increased by about 10x. (In fact, all ds need a 10x boost to be like they were back when the game started).
    Currently 1 cast gives you 12k damage. They are unfocusable/uncrittable. That is a horrible use of your casting time.
  11. Pootle Elder

Thanks Cicelee, helpful post for my alt mage.