+1000 throwing daggers, only 2 throw skill ups

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yawn..., Apr 5, 2014.

1. Yawn... Journeyman

So, in trying to increase my necro's throwing skill, I threw many daggers at a level 46 summoned mage pet in a duel.

I gained 2 skill up within the first 30 minutes, and did not gain a further skill up after.

Should I just expect to not increase my throw skill to cap, because this is amazing. I am amazed. I'd call this a bug but wow.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong.
  2. feiddan Augur

What level is your necro?

Skill-ups are significantly slower against low-con mobs.
  3. Anglesy Elder

Go find an out of the way arena where no one is going to mess with you and throw them at a healer merc, you'll get much quicker skill ups.
  4. Yawn... Journeyman

Level 95.

I did the arena thing, yeah. Except I usually use a pet instead of a merc. No point wasting plat.

But I guess I'll try it next time against an even con level 95 fire pet.

2 skill ups after I left it on all night was just...shocking.
  5. Fendy Augur

I did my skill up/dueling in the guild hall. Safer than a public arena, even if it's out of the way.
  6. Treesong Elder

2 skillups is definately wrong. Any chance that before you left it for the night, you had accidentally targeted the Mage instead of his pet? I know I mess up like that sometimes. :)
  7. Yawn... Journeyman

No, I'm sure I was targeting the pet.

I even remember the string of crit messages from when I still had the enchanter haste buff.

All I can do is try again, like the guy above said, on an even con pet. I did it with a low level pet thinking that getting hits would increase skill ups, and misses would not give as many.

Going to set up perhaps 2000 daggers tonight, and will see what happens. It's kind of unbelievable 2 skill ups in maybe 1200 throws.
  8. feiddan Augur

I'm surprised you got any skill-ups at all. Grey con mobs shouldn't be giving any. Hit or miss doesn't make a difference on the chance to skill-up.

Regardless, even two thousand throws is a tiny amount. Even at 100 with well over 1,000 Dexterity unbuffed, I'd be surprised if I would see a lot of skill-ups under these scenarios on just 2k throws.
  9. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I go to the gargoyle in ToB to raise throwing and archery. If you stay at the far side of the island, you're out of range of his AE's, and he never gets low enough to summon.
  10. Qbert Gallifreyan

1,000 or even 2,000 throwing items can't last more than 15 minutes or so? It seems like you would want to have 10s of thousands if you're doing this over night.
  11. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Put merc on passive so it doesn't eat plat, then try again in arena. Worked for me.