0xc000007b error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Varillian, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Metanis Bad Company

It sounds like you have one problem remaining, you have multiple Everquest installation folders. You should resolve that now to ensure you don't have problems later on.
    Varillian likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Not wanting to watch a whole video but still interested in what the fix was. Is there a TLDV short version?
  3. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Download all the DirX-stuff for 64bit-client (there is a link under the video for a rar-file) and unpack the dlls etc. into your EQ-directory.
    Svann2 likes this.
  4. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Harr! - Yes, already did this. The Ranger-Forage-Force-and-Fishing-Corps (RFFFC) is ready to rumble and search for Roots and Fruits again in theory.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So the conclusion is that the installation procedure for EQ is insufficient, since it doesn't cover all the needed files...?
    Angahran and Metanis like this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

Either that or the Windows installation for folks with this issue is insufficient. Neither scenario is good.

I'm thinking that certain Windows installations aren't installing correctly, because if it was an EQ installation problem with the upgrade to 64 bit, then it would seem likely that everyone would have the issue.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Directx9 and 64bit, is a very anachronistic combination, I am not surprised if it is neglected by standard windows-update...
    Honestly, depending on directx9 support by Windows and Drivers in this day and age, is bound to backfire occasionally...:oops:
    Angahran likes this.
  8. Ratalthor Developer

modsiw and Svann2 like this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is odd since I had posted this suggestion and link on the first day. (post #7)

OP said he had downloaded it and it made no difference.

So 8 days later we now have it as the fix?

I think other factors were in play but not tech enough to figure it all out. Perhaps some other change that was also made during all the troubleshooting.

But glad he is all up and running!
    Metanis likes this.
  10. Baldur Augur

I think the issue was not the install of those dlls, it was copying them into the EQ folder.

There must be a copy of the 32 bit dlls in the path that it's looking for the dlls first, copying the 64 bit ones directly into the EQ folder is where it always looks first, so it solves the problem.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

In a similar manner, you can drop the D9VK .dll files in your EQ folder to use vulkan rendering ;)

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

I haven't done this (yet) on windows; but it was one of the tricks I used on linux to make the older ROF2 client work with vanilla wine. Just had to drop in the DLLs to the EQ folder (or install them into your wineprefix) and it was smooth as butter.

Its something I'm keeping in mind if M$ ever decided to drop DX90c support entirely from newer windows builds. (and DPG hasn't gotten around to upgrading yet). It just requires your video card/driver support Vulkan. (Which most, if not all modern ones do)
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Jennre Band Leader

Applications will always check for dependent DLLs in the root directory first. Possibly there is a problem with the DirectX installation or a conflict somewhere.
    Svann2 likes this.
  13. Sarkaukar Augur

True that. The question to ask the OP is when he downloaded that Redistribution file and double clicked on it, did he then go to the new folder double click on the dxsetup.exe to actually install/reinstall dx9C?... When I used to post more, initially players had been "installing" it in their EQ directory, thus all of those packed files would end up in a either in the main EQ folder or subfolder but not actually be installed/expanded. It is similar to a ZIP file in EXE form, it doesn't actually install the program itself.

There is likely something else involved but it would take the OP or others who were in the same boat to troubleshoot it. I am not able to replicate it, even with a separate EQ directory installation. Since I play some other games which are dx9c bound, reinstalling dx9c redistribution file is one of my troubleshooting steps.