0xc000007b error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Varillian, Feb 15, 2022.

1. soliana New Member

actually no i have the same problem and my laptop is running on windows 10 64 bits 21H2
  2. Ommina New Member

I'm also grasping -- but have you reran a current EQ_Setup.exe to ensure that it is happy with everything?
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Dear OP, something is wonky on your machine. A quick search for your error makes me think in terms of a memory boundry type error which could be caused by some weird BIOS setting and/or some disk or file corruption.

I'd run a chkdsk c: /f from an elevated command prompt first. It will force you to do a reboot so that it can test and fix errors on your c: drive.

My other thought was perhaps you have a motherboard that allows for doing funky things with RAM and reserved memory spaces. I'd get into the BIOS and review all Advanced settings and look for things that might affect 32 vs. 64-bit programs and/or reserved memory. Depending on how customized you've made it perhaps find the option to Load Optimized Defaults and let it reset all settings to default. If you do that make sure to get pictures of your hard disk and boot settings so you can restore them if necessary.
  4. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Good idea, but I already did the chkdsk.
    I bought the machine new 4 weeks ago and I didn't tinker with the BIOS, but since I am grasping at straws, I will have a look.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You try launching EQ without the patcher?
  6. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Yes, but the error occurs when eqgame.exe is started - it's the same when the patcher tries to start it or when I start it manually.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Did you try installing it in c:/daybreak game company instead of c:/program files? I think installations in program files and program files (x86) have caused people issues in the past.
    Moege and Duder like this.
  8. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Already done that, too. - Support suggested it. That changes nothing in the result. :(
    eqgame.exe just doesn't start
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Have you looked at a possible conflict with sound. In the past there has been issues with the built in audio on the motherboard or even the line in on speakers and sound drivers etc. Disabling it and all the software associated with it has let eqgame.exe start according to other posts
  10. Jennre Band Leader

Oh wait! Hit me up in Discord Jennre#4014

This happened in Beta too
  11. Ratalthor Developer

Did you try installing to an empty location and not copy any files from your old install to the new install location?
    Duder likes this.
  12. Duder Augur

I have seen a fair amount of players who end their play sessions with /ex instead of /camp desk. It's interesting because if a save hasn't occurred recently you could be causing rollbacks of your chars and miss those last 10 minutes of exp or whatever you might have been doing.
  13. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Yes, that was one of my first thoughts.
  14. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

Hm, new information:
    Tried to uninstall EQ but got a message from Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:
    Runtime Error!
    (the uninstaller) has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Uninstalled the Runtime Library, reinstalled it - same error.
    Driver is up to date. etc.

EDIT: Ok, not new. That seems to exist for many years now - I just never had to uninstall EQ since I started in 2004, just had to install it on several machines over the years...
  15. Ratalthor Developer

Could you open Event Viewer and see if you have any Errors with eqgame.exe listed? Please PM me your results.
  16. Metanis Bad Company

I had two other questions occur to me. How much RAM does the machine have installed? Is it DDR5 RAM? My reasoning is that if you have more than 64GB and/or DDR5 it's conceivable no one at Daybreak tested on that stout of a machine.
  17. Gorg00 Augur

I have 128G of ram and my machine is fine. Only DDR4 though.
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Jennre Band Leader

I wonder if its trying to use a 32 version of the DX9 graphics file.

1. Look for EQGraphicsDX9.x64.dll
    2. If it exists, run the patcher, don't starting the game,
    3. Rename EQGraphicsDX9.dll to EQGraphicsDX9.OLD
    4. Rename EEQGraphicsDX9.x64.dll to EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    5. Start the game using a direct shortcut with patchme. ("C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest Beta\eqgame.exe" patchme /login:<YOUR LOGIN HERE>

If EQGraphicsDX9.x64.dllis not present, then this wont work.
  19. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

I have only EQGraphicsDX9.dll.
  20. Kanstorm New Member

I will add details of what I have here, of the EQ 64 bit live game, on Windows 10

In the EQ install directory, there is only the EQGraphicsDX9.dll.

In terms of new / upgraded DLLs, there are 6 of them.
    mss64.dll, steam_api.dll, steam_api64.dll, mss64midi.dll, eqmain.dll and EQGraphicsDX9.dll.

Others have brought up the theme of DirectX 9 being a possible contender.

Using the Visual Studio "dumpbin" tool it lets me see the dependencies of the exe and the dll. From the output, I will detail those that feel they are from the DirectX family. Out of the exe and the dll listed above, only these two stood out:-

eqgame.exe -> d3dx9_43.dll
    EQGraphicsDX9.dll -> d3d9.dll, d3dx9_43.dll, d3dx10_43.dll

When I check the headers of those 3 files with dumpbin, they report back as 64 bit.

Now looking at the file details in Windows explorer [ c:\windows\system32 ] ( properties / details tab )

d3dx9_43.dll, date stamp May 2010, version 9.29.952.3111
    d3dx10_43.dll, date stamp May 2010, version 9.29.952.3111
    d3d9.dll, date stamp December 2021 version 10.0.19041.1387

I haven't gone out of my way to install any directx software. I'm inferring that Windows Update activity has applied it as part of the monthly cumulative updates it applies for Windows 10.

When i run dxdiag, the foot note on that system first page declares:
    DxDiag 10.00.19041.0928

It may be clutching at straws, or otherwise help with a comparison of what is installed on your machines. Accepting there is likely a difference between Windows 10 and Windows 11.