0% exp at level 2...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Vandir Lorekeeper

Can concur. It's "not that bad," so long as you're pushing the yellow/red mobs, which most groups should be doing relatively easily.
    Nickatropolis and TeeEHLpee like this.
  2. Boosi Lorekeeper

Hahah
  3. TeeEHLpee Augur

You are 100% true. After some more killing, its really slow is your are just killing white / blue stuff. You have to switch to white / yellow / red. If not it will drag azz.
  4. vylo Augur

Maybe don't kill blues at lvl 2. No one should do this, on any server, ever.

Join a group and slaughter yellows/reds right out of the gate. You will level much faster and have a lot more fun.
  5. Critt Augur

I think watching how much xp per kill you get is keeping you from actually playing the game....Seriously if you are that concerned with the xp bar moving you are missing the point of the game.
  6. Potsos76 Augur

Level 3 to 4 for a Monk in WFP: 37 mobs, 75 minutes. What a blast! So fun.

Seriously, DBG. Throw a bone here. Increase experience gain by 50-100% up to level 6. It's absolutely mind blowing that these guys can't released a TLP with experience that allows for a lot of alt leveling. At the very, absolute least you could make the first few levels go by a bit quicker.
  7. Nuther Augur

Just for a frame of reference. I took all my belts and pads that my Ranger picked up in CB (up to level 15) and gave them to my dorf Cleric to turn in to the guy in Kaladim. Having never set foot outside, he is sitting at 83% of the way through level 5, almost level 6. What a twink.
  8. vylo Augur

The problem here isn't the exp rate, its that you are in WFP apparently soloing at lvl 3 as a melee. by that point I was in a group in CB smashing red orcs (and getting smashed back, but the exp was still good).

I see a lot of people complaining about exp with bad scenarios (soloing as a melee on a brand new server, killing lvl 1 mobs past lvl 1, etc). This is launch. Don't solo past level 1, don't fight blues until you hit ~10 (and still try not to at all when possible). This isn't kunark era where you can twink yourself to max str, have a solid haste item and a fungi on a melee and go to town. You don't even have a single piece of armor beyond the starter tunic to start, you are going to get destroyed if you go it alone and if you aren't in a caster heavy group.
  9. Magic Augur

Why not just increase exp for soloing ppl? Why everyone forced to join hardcore group for kill deep reds mobs?
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think this is really good advice, because it's true. But it also really highlights the reason servers like this are hard to catch up on. Once the groups dry up in the lower level ranges, it will be excruciating to level up if you plan to go past level 1. There has to be some way to set it up where a full group at max efficiency will level at a good pace, without making it mind-numbing for soloers. But even ignoring soloers, a group of 2 or 3 who can't fight red cons in any reasonable manner is going to slog along also.

So the problem here isn't just the exp rate, it's also the method by which the slowness of the exp rate is mitigated for groups. And let's not forget that we're still in bonus exp land. Maybe this is the best exp configuration for a server like Coirnav or Phinny, or maybe it's just the best one for the launch. It will increase with future expansion packs, but that's not until after PoP. A newbie coming in during the PoP era could be in a world of hurt trying to level up.

I'm not going to say I know the best way to configure the exp on a TLP. But I will say that I never felt intimidated by the exp rate on Agnarr. I can't say that about Phinny when it had a rate similar to what Coirnav has now. Maybe it will be fine, Phinny is doing ok, but the question is, could it have been doing better if it was easier to catch up there?
  11. vylo Augur

The problem stems from the bonus they give groups.

When EQ first launched there was no bonus. It was assumed (pretty correctly), that the efficiency of grouping would reward an innately higher exp rate.

To encourage more grouping, they gave a small boost to exp that capped out at 20%. Essentially a group of 6 people got 1/5 the exp of a soloer for killing the same mob at the same level. Since a group could typically kill 6 mobs faster than a soloer could be expected to kill 1, it ended up making soloing less attractive for most classes. Notable exceptions were Necro, bard, and druid. Necros were/are extremely effective at burning down large mobs in rapid succession, druids could quad kite with many tools to make them self sufficient, and bards at that time could kite half a zone down at a time (from what I understand this got nerfed to the ground later on).

Now the bonus is a staggering 100%. A group gets 1/3 the exp of a soloer per kill. Even quadding as a druid or burning through mobs with a necro struggles to keep up with being in a group, and the increased risk makes it not worthwhile. The only reason to solo is for farming money.

The result is that even people who are twinked to infinity and solo classes are basically forced to group for efficiency and risk's sake. I don't know for sure, but I feel like this was mainly aimed at twinks, to force them to "share the wealth" and not just run around blowing mobs up solo in areas that would annoy groups. So long as there is at least 1 other twink, or a power class (necro/mage/enchanter) in your group, yer better off as a twink hanging out in a group than doing your own thing.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  12. Rhodz Augur

Because some people would cut down the forest to solve the problem of raking leaves
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

Id rather hire a crew to level a forest than rake leaves tbh too.

Yuck... then you have to bag them and rake up the debris AGAIN.
    Ronzark and Rhodz like this.
  14. Potsos76 Augur

Ultimately, with travel time (if I even make it alive at that level) and hoping for a group once I arrive, this wouldn't be any faster--at all. And again, why can we not just have a quick couple of levels off the bat and THEN implement the ridiculously low experience modifier? Is it too much to ask to be able to get to level 5 in say, an hour or so without having to find a group at level 3? I guess not. lol
  15. Prathun Developer

We're not looking to accelerate characters past the first few levels on Coirnav.
    On progression servers, the game starts at level 1.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  16. Rhodz Augur

Ah yes but then you die in the mud slide because you cut down the tress...
    yeah
  17. Rhodz Augur

heh ok
    Ronzark likes this.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

That's fair, the issue isn't that level 2 is slow. It's that if level 2 is that slow then every level after that will be worse. I don't want Coirnav to fail, but I feel like it already is. You were willing to revisit the exp rate when Phinny launched. I hope you are keeping a similarly open mind this time. If you think the whining is bad now, wait until the bonus ends.
  19. Crayon123 Augur

You completely missed the point. Enjoy your dead server.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

coirnav failed when they... suprised launched it, released it before agnarr hit POP, spent 0$ on advertising or bringing in returning players, gave it slower exp, neglected insane epic bottlenecks, ignored broken key quests instead of unrest keys (lol true story), lost characters from launch, and of course introduced NOTHING unique.

Im sure there is more...