Epic Bottlenecks: Permacamped

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hingabe, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SpamFactory Augur

I have done the mage 1.0 twice.

the quillmane spawn cycle has been figured out. you can find multiple guides out there on zam or google on how to properly camp quillmane. you need a ranger buddy to help you out, but it DOES work.

camping quillmane the oldschool way without any sort of plan, just running around killing random mobs and waiting for it to spawn is absolute insanity, I agree, but this isn't 1999 anymore and people are much more knowledgable about quillmane's spawn table now.

that said I'm not against making 1.0s easier, but quillmane is not anywhere near as hard as it used to be.
    Sinestra likes this.
  2. Tharzak Elder

Also agree!
    Sinestra and moogs like this.
  3. Alwyzn- AB Journeyman

No different than when they were current they were also perma camped and whoever (as already stated) could get the force there the quickest won.
    But they have always been perma camped, now they may only be up a matter of minutes instead of 20 or 30 minutes max.

Here is another idea for the OP, maybe send the camp mule in zone a tell asking if they are after any particular item. If they not after the epic drop maybe they will let him loot the epic piece.

Simply to much /easymode these days
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No back when they where current it took a raid to kill the mob when these days it takes a single player who knows the spawn schedule.
    Sinestra likes this.
  5. Alwyzn- AB Journeyman

Again the highly contested targets were only up as long as it took to mount a force, pre-nerf manaburn it only took as long as 1 group of wizards took to get there.

Eitherway they were not up long.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Whatever. It shouldn't take a miracle to complete the 1.0 because some with no life has the spawn cycle on lock.
    Tegila and Sinestra like this.
  7. Zahrym Augur

Things like Phinny are only 12 hours and are still killed within a few minutes of spawning by alts or permacamp bots and Fippy is on what? Dodh I believe.

I did my 1.0's 1.5 and 2.0 in 2009, took a few weeks and some improvisation (bribing a friend with beer to kill and loot it while I was at work)

I imagine it took several months when they were current if you weren't an absolutely hardcore.

Honestly if you don't have them after several months playing, much less years...there's really no reason for anyone to jump to your beckon and call and alter the way it's been since launch because you don't want to do what everyone else did. I'm aware the policy is "We will never say you have to do it this way, simply because other's before you had to" in the interest of making the game more appealing to everyone as a whole and even bring in new folks. But really? I suggest you read the definition in which they were designed to inspire a feeling of great worth and accomplishment, not a free pass because you want to don't want to camp something.

ep·ic

[ep-ik] Show IPA

adjective Also, ep·i·cal.
    noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series ofgreat achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.

resembling or suggesting such poetry: an epic novel on the founding of the country.

heroic; majestic; impressively great: the epic events of the war.

of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions.

noun
    an epic poem.

epic poetry.

any composition resembling an epic.

something worthy to form the subject of an epic: The defense of the Alamo is an American epic.

( initial capital letter ) . Also called Old Ionic. the Greek dialect represented in the Iliad and theOdyssey, apparently Aeolic modified by Ionic.

8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Oh so epic is being able to find a mob up that you can kill in a few seconds to get a drop?
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. Sonavaa_Bertox Elder

Grumble...

Instanced Zone areas specific to Epic Loot, triggered by visiting the LDoN Mages and speaking the right words. Raid force must be complete before asking for Zone. All mobs SCALE difficulty based on original mob level + half the difference in the Average Raid Force Level"

IF RaidForce AvgLevel = 20 level's higher than original level
    Then ALL MOBS HP, Resist, DMG, SpellDMG etc = 100% + Avg of 10 levels %.
  10. Warpiggs Augur

Or do nothing and keep Epic quests like they have been for over a decade. That's why they are "Epic". At least that is my opinion. Of course nowadays most if not all of the mobs can be soloed by pretty much anyone of higher level. So you have to beat someone to the mob, put in the time/wait for a server reset. It's a good thing most of you didn't have to do these when they were current. Waiting in skyfire for 6 days for that dam dragon to pop for my clerics epic 1.0 was brutal, but I wanted it so I did it (Thanks to all those people back then that took shifts keeping an eye on it to pop when I had to sleep, and calling me when it popped so we could kill it. We did this for about half dozen of the clerics in my guild/friends). Even though not 1 of them play the game anymore :( They actually did change this quest though at some point because of the HUGE bottleneck for this dragon. I still don't agree with what changes they made, but that's just me.

Please don't make easymode Epics for the instant gratification crowd that has plagued this game for years now.
    Alwyzn- AB likes this.
  11. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

This has got less to do with easymode and more to do with toolboxes camping camping crap they have no need for. Lets make it really fair and do what Oblivion did for Elder Scrolls. Make the content scale to whoever is attacking it. That will give the toolboxes a nice surprise.
    Sinestra likes this.
  12. Voth Elder

Persevere.

On my main I have done my (Monk) epic as well as, Warrior, SK, Paladin, Necro, and Shaman just for the questing fun. I have also done a Bard and Cleric epic on alts of those classes. I also tried to do the SK 1.5 but wouldn't you know it, the final step where you hand in the piece doesn't get you anything if you aren't a SK, even if you have done absolutely everything.

I used to camp retro raid mobs a long time ago. I still have a few parts laying around. I even gave out a Slimeblood a couple weeks ago to a lowbie who was struggling finding golems up. If you're on Xegony, look for me. I might have something you need.

Anyone reading might benefit from this bit of information if they are struggling. The /up command is your best friend. Golems are always up immediately on a server respawn. Most mobs are not though. However, when the servers restart and when they are actually available are two very different things.

Example:
    I log out in zone X at the spawn point of mob Y the day before the patch. Patch day comes and I look for when the server is supposed to be up. The planets align and the servers come up when they are supposed to. I log in and find my best buddy standing right before me. I stomp him immediately hit /up.

The world has been running for 00:12:32:10.

Now I have his exact time of death. Most retro raid mobs are on a 3 day +/- 12 hour schedule. That means the mob will spawn at exactly one of these times corresponding to /up:

03:00:32:10
    03:01:32:10
    03:23:32:10
    04:00:32:10

It is at that exact second, not one before or after that time. That's how it works and that's how I did it successfully for a long time. If you can also find them randomly like others suggested, try this next time.
  13. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Tarvas, you have it easier than most with Tracking available to you, Rangers are some of the worst farmers and kill stealers to compete against. Several times I've engaged a rare spawn only to have a higher level ranger swoop in and KS it.

Had one do that for Quillmane cloak, and then had the gall to try and sell it to me; I just had him it, then didn't pay him. Fair is Fair.

Level 100 with over 12k AA's?

Pot, Kettle. Get over youself, you are no more entitled to rare spawns than any other player.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Does it seem like I am advocating for idiots who sit on spawns they don't need that block people from getting quests done? Funny, I thought it was the opposite.

Oh, and I apology for having the audacity to be level 100 with max AAs. What was I thinking to commit such a crime?!
  15. Tharrg Augur

I have for years been complaining about the permacamped areas. Even with the newest items that come out each expansion certain old world zone mobs are permacamped for their loot. I have suggested time and time again that the best way to combat this, is to change the Spawn time on ALL preluclin raid Bosses and epic mobs to be around 2 hours. This will have the benefit as to allow more players a chance for the loot, because the influx of drops will flood the market and thus drop the price. Also by having it spawn more, people who cant login within 1minute of server repop will have their chance to kill said mobs. The idea of a mob that takes 7days to spawn is stupid, it was a dumb idea to begin with and created an unfair advantage to some over others. It would only make sense to finnally remove that feature and create a reasonable time that these mobs spawn..
    moogs likes this.
  16. moogs Augur

Yes.

Artificial time sinks do not equate to any kind of challenge. My girlfriend at the time tried to get her paladin 1.0 completed for over 2 years, with a ton of support from the guild's trackers. The handful of times that we did find Lady Vox, she dropped the wrong quest pieces.

I've been campaigning for an NPC to spawn one's mob for over a decade. This is so easy, an intern could do it. (TM)

Remove the artificial time sinks. I've seen multiple marriages fail directly because of the incredibly stupid amount of time wasted to accomplish something in EQ. There is no challenge in these so-called epic encounters. Only frustration and pain. The player base is growing old and grey, and it's time for this nonsense to be put to an end.
    Sinestra likes this.
  17. Jyve Augur

Nearly 13 years wasn't long enough for people to get an epic 1.0 done?
    Fenthen likes this.
  18. moogs Augur

Does it matter how long the servers have been up when most of the players have been driven away by frustrating design decisions?
  19. ---Xislaben--- Augur

What do you think a good price would be for the epics in SC?
  20. Sarah the gamer Elder

Lol.... The epics are not hard to get at all. I just finished doing, cleric, bard, necro epics 1.0's and am almost finished with all three 1.5's. (probably will have them done today.) I've only been back playing for a little over a month too and I didn't put much effort into getting these done.