I dual wielded last night.

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by TheQxx, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Explicit Augur

It's an AA, no timer issues
  2. Tronin Evenshade New Member

With all of that and yet you still reference a main-gauche/parrying dagger???

Maybe for a rogue.... who already use rapiers and other piercing weapons... but have duel wield and high dps.... so completely irrelevant.

One of the most accomplished sword duelists... or sword masters in human history.

Classic Everquest Description.

As for your "We didn't gain the ability to DW until level 7" argument. Everquest began as a game where you could level from 1-50, all content between 1-50 was implemented in game and you had to work to have certain skills for certain classes. Duel wield was one of those skills warriors unlocked at level 7.... I do not see where my own "warriors were intended to have duel wield" argument fails in this regard seeing as it was implemented at the very beginning of game production before any other duel wield class except monks....

I can tell, the current EQ devs seem to add a lot to the game and not fix it in orderly fashion... though 10 years is stretching it. Duel wield was never a design error as much as you might wish it to have been for the sake of your misbegotten argument... good try though.

You're correct in this statement, though this dev is biased as a proponent for warrior shield tanking and has been for years... it has nothing to do with dual wield being plausible or acceptable in defensive situations it has to do with their opinion which is NOT held by the larger part of the Warrior community or the original developers of the game, which can be attested to by the many posts not just on this forum but to general unhappiness from warriors with the direction our class is heading and the way the game began.

Lets backtrack a bit to your statement based on armor maneuverability referencing The Battle of Agincourt.
    Generally in Everquest our armor does not stray far when it comes to display. It looks like heavy plate armor, basic chainmail, leather armor, or, of course, cloth.
    However, there is a reason different sets of plate armor including White armour replaced the many different types of crude mail armor that was created in earlier era's as a main line of defensive armors.
    Luckily, armor type is not limited in game by wealth.

As for maneuverability, I was referencing White armor, as it began to cover joints previously exposed or covered by mail worn beneath plate and gave maneuverability previously hindered by the mail beneath plate armor. Oh, if you want to go by weight plate armor often weighed nearly equal chain armor until around the 16th century where it began to become thicker to inhibit attacks from more powerful weaponry... like firearms.

There is much more I could say but I am tired... goodluck with the trolling.
  3. Battleaxe Augur

Nod there is much more you could say, but....

"Miyamoto Musashi"

Check out the images of this master duelist - unlike EQ tanks he was not a heavy plate armor wearer. The use of even just a heavy plate BP was not common among Samurai. A full suit of plate armor - I don't think so.

"Duel wield was never a design error"

Good luck with trying to undo a change that addresses issues that should have been taken care of at initial release. S&B is for tanking challenging content. The 1Handrs Warriors had available were unsuited for use with a shield <- design error.
  4. Explicit Augur

I must be one of few warriors who does not care in the slightest if DW is ever viable again, it has been gone so long that it simply just does not matter anymore. There are much more significant issues and frankly asking for this to be viable as a "dps" setup will most surely result in the nerf of whatever dps we're doing now with shield (enough that we don't need any kind of boosts, if you play right). Along with the added "dw dps" and nerfed "shield dps", we can probably expect that overall our dps will be lower than it is now but "omg gaiz i can dw again i'm so kewl".

Don't know about you, but I rather like having the best of both worlds in one setup and it's rather apparent through design that it's intended to be this way and is not changing.
  5. Kamea Augur

I'm with you. Before last year's ISS aggro fix I would DW with rage of rallos if I really wanted the extra aggro, and I wouldn't mind if there was a single disc or AA that would make DW significantly higher aggro for a short period of time. But I think the fact that shield survivability was buffed and S&B aggro was significantly buffed lowered the frequency of (and arguably eliminated) situations where we had to choose between aggro and survivability, which was good for the class.
  6. Maereax Augur

qxx you're my hero for your post. The entire rest of the thread is pure hate, but you stay strong man.
    TheQxx likes this.
  7. Braveheart Augur

I have played since 99. I want my DW back. I want the option to go higher dps with DW and switch to B&S for named or in tough pinches. What is the point in me even having the ext bandolier?

If I am in a fast grind group with a great healer, i want to sacrafice a little extra damage taken to gain more xp and kill faster.
  8. Battleaxe Augur

Use a not tanking sword, not tanking aug and offensive rather than defensive endurance fueled abilities.

I have a (actually 2) 1Handers and a 2Hander for precisely that purpose. A best aggro augged aggro 1Hander used with defensive disciplines is definitely not anyone's best DPS.

Bandoleer? Leesee Slow, snare, DPS, Tank, Bow, Pierce. Got plenty or reasons to use the bandoleer and (unlike the DW 24/7 era) plenty of reasons to maintain a variety of weapons.

S&B for tanking not trivial content. 2H for DPS at the cost of the enormous amount of mitigation a shield represents (and an offhander could not ever reasonably supply).

Make DW competitive with 2H in damage, better aggro, and provide better protection and 2H is dead for Warriors (as it was in the DW 24/7 era). Since DW is better aggro already, DW having better DPS and/or better protection than 2H seems out of line.

Besides - if mobs are so trivial tanks don't care if they use shields or not they probably shouldn't grant any or much experience in the first place - groups should be able to do better vs. current content than mass killing moss snakes.
  9. Braveheart Augur

I have a T3 Tank weapon and a ROF T1 Tank weapon. DW them produce half the DPS as B&S. I have a VOA T3 2H which also yields 1/2 the DPS. In current group content ROF T2, cleric in group uses Nuke's that heal the HOTT or heals that nuke the HOTT. Untill T3 rolls out, ROF T2 is trivial--save a couple named.