I duped my corpse in 2004.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Qutsemnie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Qutsemnie New Member

I been meaning to post this for about a decade.

In the summer of 2004 my guild was raiding Texvu/Tacvi. I was a rogue. I was just inside Tacvi when I got ordered to go outside and drag someone that got lost to the front of Texvu for a rez. I did so, and on the way back into Tacvi I got agro by something that saw SoS and dotted me. I clicked the statue into Tacvi just as I was about to die. I zoned into Tacvi dead.

I got a rez into Tacvi, and went about getting dressed and rebuffed. Then I got a tell,
    cleric tells you "ready for rez?" I was like I got rezzed thanks. Cleric says, "this one isn't rezzed." Confused I said okay, and I took a rez into Texvu where I was standing over a second version of my corpse.

I had two corpses. Two sets of stuff. Two of every aug. Duplicate cash. Etc. Fully duped corpse.

I started to tell one person, but then I thought about it, shut up, and looted what I could of my stuff my stuff, and came back later that night for the rest. I took my cash, sold an extra bridle back for a 100k, sold off some random stuff, and took advantage of the two sets of augs. Last time I checked I still had a couple of my duped augs.

I can recall at the time there was often speculation about whether duping was possible. At least by accident it was.

RekMMO likes this.
  2. Daegun Augur

Both by accident and through dubious means, duping corpses has definitely been possible.

In your case, you didn't really "dupe your corpse" ... at least not intentionally. The game glitched and screwed up. Stranger things have happened.
  3. Hatsee Augur

Is this like a deathbed confession?

Usually they are more interesting.
    Leerah likes this.
  4. Shang Augur

reported.
  5. TheQxx Augur

I've gotten 2 duped corpses in my time.

One was in Chardok in 2001 when I was like level 57. The server was lagging and cashing all day. We were raiding in Chardok and the server crashed and I must have died. When the servers came back up, there was a pretty heavy rollback and I was back at the Chardok zone in, alive and well. Raids were over so I left. I got a tell from another guild's leader asking for consent to drag and he'd bring my body to the zone in. I was confused because I didn't die. So I go there and there was a body that looks naked. He was the one who realized the body probably had a full boat of gear and stuff on it, so he made me check and no doubt, it was packed with all the fixins a level 57 warrior has. He was all over me to plunder the body and hook him up with some duplicate items; Cobalt Greaves, Amulet of Necropotence, etc... but being the honest Joe that I am, I didn't take anything, I petitioned it and the GM came and took it away. I was rewarded for my honesty though!

Back then, when you made a surname, that was set in stone; no changing it, no removing it. I didn't like my first selection of my surname that I had for 30 levels and I figured this was a good opportunity to get it changed all proper. So I asked the GM to change it up in light of my boy scout deed here and after thinking about it for a while he changed it from Zired to Xired. Happy day.

Pretty much the same exact scenario happened again only this time on my cleric in MPG during OoW. Running through, server crashed, she died, rollback, duped body, petitioned it and again for my boy scoutiness I asked the GM to change her unfortunate and horrible name from Galadriiel to Keylala and he did.

Crime doesn't pay!
  6. Drathus Augur

Lol. This brings back memories! Back in 1999 I had run my troll warrior all the way to Unrest - took like 90 minutes to get there. Once inside I died and the zone crashed at the same time. When I logged back in, I was alive inside Unrest standing over my corpse. Prior to traveling over to Unrest, I had purchased a full set of Banded and a FS greatsword. To my amazement, when I looted my corpse, I had duplicates of everything!!! The problem, however, was that after looting everything, my movement speed was a complete crawl. I was so giddy at the prospect of being able to sell off all the gear, that I spent about two hours crawling to EC to sell hahahaha.
  7. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Happened alot back in 1999-2005ish. Even a small about of lag while zoning would create the situation the OP described, most people were in dialups, dropped packets and 250ms was pretty common even with a "good" ISP provider.

Another common issue was when an instance crashed and tossed bodies out to the default location in Everfrost or South Qeynos after you died but you crashed while zoning (prior to the "hover mode" post death we have now) the game would spawn you after logging back in to the next best save prior to your death, but you would still have a body someplace out there in a default drop point from a collapsed instance.
  8. UnnamedPlayer Elder

My friend had his corpse/gear duped right when the RSS zone crashed at one point. I think the story was when he logged back in, he wasn't dead, but he had a corpse full of gear in RSS.

I think he only told me the story, since he actually did petition to report it, and the 'GMs' actually awarded him exp and completely misunderstood what he was trying to tell them. He'd always bring it up, since every time he went to Shadowrest his corpse would still be there.
  9. Rouan Augur

Yea, this is probably the biggest reason why we no longer lose our gear upon death.
    Leerah likes this.
  10. WarSheol Augur

its only exploiting if its done on purpose, if it happens more than once and you havent reported/bugged/petitioned it its in your best interest to do so asap.

So basicaly once Hey I discovered what may be an exploitable bug, then you should be fine :cool:
  11. Koutarou Elder

To this day I still have a corpse in Shadowrest with about 2 bags full of duped lore stuff.

Caused by some bug with Shadowrest itself. I put in petitions to try to get it resolved but as of last time I tried still there.
  12. yaddab Augur

It happened to me once Oct 2008, I had died in Wos a few days previously, but after a server crash no body appeared and I got rolled back to Wos. Then I died in BOT and summoned to Lobby - 2 corpses arrived.

One ressed, one would not, well out of curiosity I had a look and sure enough they were both fully equiped. Out of curiosity I used the shared bank to loot the Duskwoven Robe I was wearing. Yikes - I had 2!.

I petitioned of course, and while the GM removed the corpse he could not see anything wrong with keeping the robe, I was having nothing to do with it however and petitioned again.

The response :-

Thank you for contacting Star Wars Galaxies in-game support. This is GM-xxxxxxx following up your issue about the Elaborate Duskwoven Robes. As communicated to you in-game chat, you can have both the robes. There is nothing to worry.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you for playing Star Wars Galaxies and safe Journey.

Yup - that from an ingame EQ petition!
    Well I was having nothing to do with the robe, and gave it back to the guy who had crafted it for me.
  13. Falos Augur

Three duped corpses, you're forgetting Grunkuck in 2010 m i rite? (mostly joking, who cares about that gear anymore, all gear is obsoleted within a year anyway)