Why dont they ever release all race all class tlp?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by gofortheko, May 30, 2023.

1. gofortheko New Member

Seriously, what I wouldnt give to just make a Guktan monk for once. Also I mean all classes and races currently allowable, not every single race class combo.
    Vlahkmaak and KobalWR like this.
  2. Doze Augur

Froglok monks are an abomination and an insult to both immersion and EQ Lore.
    DBG even hurried and deleted all the racial descriptions of the various races on their site (that clearly stated that frogloks are clumsy on land - hardly monk material) after allowing frogloks to be monks ...

Froglok BST (with Mosquito warders) would have been a far more sensible addition ...
    Muramx likes this.
  3. KobalWR Lorekeeper

That would actually be awesome!
    So fun to play barbarian rangers, ogre rogues and dark elf shamans :)
    It would really be a fun server to play on.
  4. Catashe Augur

I could have sworn one time that said that if they were to do that.. It would have to be for all servers because of way the game is coded aka sure they can change it but it would be for all servers including TLPs and future TLPs unless they change it back which they couldn't really do because of when Wood Elf BLs and Froglok Monks were released.. Kinda like all the discussions about monk damage in classic oh so so long ago back when like Ragefire was released...
  5. dentalplan lisa needs braces

There have been so many times they've claimed making something work code-wise would be impossible and then they later did it, so it's hard to put any stock into them saying that anymore.

Personally, a tlp with no race/class restrictions is about the only thing that would get me to try a new tlp again. Rolling the same boring thing every year is played out, we've all done it, the success of Mischief should really be a clue that people have a desire for something a little more daring and interesting.
  6. Appren Gnomercy

Gnome monks, the best feature of EQ2!
  7. code-zero Augur

Thing about the all/all concept in EQ. First of all it works with EQ2 because there are really no racials in that game that have any real effect.

In EQ you have an entirely different story. For example, Ogre's have frontal melee stun immunity and that'd need to go. Sure, for some classes there's AA that mitigate stuns but the 100% total immunity from frontal melee stuns from level 1 for Ogre's is significant enough that it'd need to be taken from the game.

Iksar AC bonus is very real until the really high levels.

There are others but those 2 are the biggest.

So, aside from getting a giggle because your Dwarf Monk does a flip when they Roundkick do you know anyone who's going to say "yeah, throw those racials out permanently and for everyone"
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

They could release an all races/classes (with the race/class restrictions of EQ) by having the TLP start with The Serpent's Spine.
    Skuz and Vlahkmaak like this.
  9. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I've been discussing this with my friends as we played the last few days. The devs could easily turn on the guildmasters, vendors, and any lowbie spawns around the Guktan starter area in RM. As an armchair dev, I think it should be relatively easy to also add classes to the Guktans, such as enchanter, magician, and even rogue. The race already has all armor type graphics. In addition, they could easily add bard to every race. I get the argument that berserker can't be done until GoD, and beastlords can't be done until Luclin. But they have a year, they COULD do this, as a special theme for the 25th anniversary TLP launch. No special gimmick rules, I'd even be fine with relaxed true box to start.

Already one of my friends is wanting to play an ogre bard lol. Again, I'm not a dev, I haven't played one on TV, I'm just arm chairing it. But they do have a year.
  10. dentalplan lisa needs braces

Or, crazy thought, just leave it as it is and let the Ogre racial ability be really good. There will probably be a lot of Ogres. So what?
  11. Doze Augur

Guktans have been able to be rogues for 18 years now ...
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  12. code-zero Augur

Yeah just what I thought.

People wanting all/all fall roughly into two groups. Those who think that some combo would be funny lore be damned and frequently explicitly because it makes not sense lore wise and the other faction looking for a min/max edge that will give them a more powerful character.

Early in the game an Ogre Shaman in banded can tank almost anything once they have slow. I've seen it and it's always impressive. In Kunark an Iksar can get by with poor or no armor for quite a while which makes them a superior monk. On an all/all TLP there'd be no place for a non Ogre anything at the start and only in Kunark would there be a race that'd give Ogre a run for their money. The people with their cute and largely useless Gnome Monks would be unable to get groups.

The point is that the reason that all/all works is because there's no overwhelming advantage to any race in EQ2.

In the current system someone could look at available combos and decide to play something a bit different because of some perk that a race has that a class otherwise couldn't do. Someone might want a WE Warrior for forage and hide, a Halfling Cleric to get Hide/Sneak. A Barbarian Rogue for slam and IITC throwing boulders. Maybe in Luclin a VahShir Warrior for the Safe Fall. But if Ogre can be anything or Iksar can be anything then early in the game there's a disincentive to be anything else.
    Doze likes this.
  13. Vlahkmaak Augur

You spelled bruiser wrong :)
    Appren likes this.
  14. Vlahkmaak Augur

Trolls pwn Ogres early in the game. ;)
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

"Additional Classes & Races are Expansion Content".

Until the devs move on from that definition then we will never see the Beastlord class prior to the unlocking of Luclin or the Berserker class prior to the unlocking of Gates of Discord.

And for races Iksar prior to Kunark, Vah Shir prior to Luclin, (Guktan) Froglok prior to Legacy of Ykesha and Drakkin prior to the unlocking of The Serpent's Spine.
    The other race/class combos are locked to their expansions too, again down to the devs considering these combinations to also be "Expansion Content".
    The devs even retroactively made Gnome Shadowknights & Paladins along with Halfling Paladins & Rangers locked to Luclin - on Ragefire they were available in Classic, then the ability to make them was removed during Kunark, and then restored once Luclin unlocked.

I have argued against locking the two additional classes to their original expansions, citing the fact that Beastlords & Berserkers have been part of the core gameplay on live servers for over 18 years now, and that it is long past overdue that they are considered part of the core gameplay of Everquest and are unshackled from their expansions.
    I would be okay with keeping additional combinations & races to their expansions because illusions & race-change scrolls exist, but the classes, forever chained to their expansions? Come on.

Some people still think the additional classes should never have been added to the game to begin with and their voices along with the devs sticking by the "expansion content" logic have maintained the status quo.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler and FYAD like this.
  16. code-zero Augur

Ain't gonna lie, I played an Innoruuk worshipping Troll Shaman for the regeneration and that sweet Regent Symbol of Innoruuk with Clinging Darkness click from inventory
    Skuz, Vlahkmaak and Doze like this.
  17. Muramx Augur

There would be a lot of work involved in allowing this to happen. Bsts and Zerkers would be OP in classic, they were tuned for their respective expansions. If you think mages and chanters are bad everyone would be playing those 2 classes.

Adding new classes I would be ok with, except the overlap would be concerning. With the classes we have now they fill every role, so anything new would end up being game breaking or would be a mediocre mix. And races... After the Draken I hope they never make up another race again... I won't invite a person to my group if they are a Draken...
  18. WeCameWeConquered Elder

I mean, if you're going to vastly overstate ogre and iksar racials, why not just claim they have S's on their chest while you're at it?
  19. Doze Augur

How do you figure that they are OP?
    In Classic there aren't really any good weapons that either class would be able to wield (no BABS, since RunnyEye won't be revamped until Luclin) and BST would not have access to all their spells until Luclin (lvl41 group HP/mana regen and lvl42 ATK/HP buff).

BER would gain some of their burn discs in Kunark but the available BER useable 2H weapons are only marginally better in Kunark (Axe of Destruction won't be dropping in KC until much later).

BST would be less effecient in Kunark since many of their spells won't be available until either Velious (lvl55 warder heal, lvl59 group HP/MANA regen) and Luclin (lvl52 group HP/MANA regen and warder heal, lvl54,56,58&60 warders, lvl 54&56 warder proc buff).

Also, neither class would be able to complete their epics until Luclin(BST) and GoD(BER) - and they don't get a Kunark Archaeologist quest either (BST Cabilis claw quest would proably be available though).

EDIT: BST also can't get their lvl60 Slow or mini-Avatar buff until Luclin.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Something that also needs to be available on day one, the Warrens. I'd go so far as to suggest Stonebrunt Mountains as well. They can deactivate any drops and quests that would be too powerful for Classic, like the Wakizashi of the Frozen Skies. The Warrens alone would both keep and draw people in/to the Toxx area for the early levels.