Oakwynd - First TLP to dip to medium population within first week of launch?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, May 31, 2023.

1. wade_watts Augur

I saw Oakwynd population was at medium for an hour or two today. Is this a new record of the first TLP to hit medium population within 1 week of launch? Seems like yet another sign of wasted effort to even roll on this server. Looks like the naysayers were right.
  2. topple good idea generator

First to engage? More like first to disengage amirite?
    Montag, Siah, Kunfo and 4 others like this.
  3. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Servers been really good actually. I hope they put fte on every tlp going forward. It’s really chill. I do wish they’d juice the do rate a bit though.
    Zrender likes this.
  4. kain200 Elder

FTE isn't as terrible as I feared. They seem to have fixed some problems. Though you still can't set your pet to guard without spam which annoys me to no end.

The real issue is the exp rate. It's abysmal. I seem to remember there being a TLP in the past that had exp set super slow like this. It got so bad for people that DBG actually caved and raised the rate a bit. Hopefully i'm not experiencing the mandela effect and they consider this again.
  5. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

No shot you checked the server population at 3:30AM central time and decided the server was dying because only 1,100 people were online on a Wednesday.
    Rijacki, Zrender and minimind like this.
  6. Protocol Dragon Defender

Oakwynd seems to have the standard TLP exp rate. It’s perfectly normal.
    Skuz, Rijacki and Zrender like this.
  7. wade_watts Augur

Dude, its a brand new TLP that cannot maintain high population within the first week. No matter which way you slice it - FAIL
  8. Ruhi Augur

huh? there lots of people at 50 already and it's been a week. i think there were level 50's on day 2.
    Bailen, Rijacki and Zrender like this.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

You should probably make sure that you have your facts in order before making such a claim - otherwise your creditability (or what little is left of it) is self-flung out the window.

5/31/2023 @ 9:00AM EST
    [IMG]
    - https://www.daybreakgames.com/status#eq

The server is at high population on a Wednesday morning and 1/3 the country is still tucked away in bed.
    Skuz, Heloisa, Zrender and 1 other person like this.
  10. wade_watts Augur

I guess if it's high right now that means that it has never dipped below high. #fail
  11. Bullsnooze Augur

I think you need to stop while you're already so far behind.
    Skuz and Witless like this.
  12. Atomos Augur

I tend to pay very close attention to population numbers (not just for Everquest) because I find it all interesting. Generally when a TLP launches it takes several months for the population to dip below High during off hours. If a server is doing that already during week 1, it does not bode well. However there could be other factors as well, like perhaps the server has a more casual population than normal (possibly supported by the amount of people complaining about the slow EXP rate) or a lower amount of offhour/EU/etc players than normal.

I expect Oakwynd's population to be briefly inflated either way due to FTE and the fact that it is a test for potentially one of the most game altering mechanics ever introduced to Everquest. If you care about Everquest, whether you were already playing on a server or not, you probably SHOULD be on Oakwynd testing FTE since it may be added to the base game on ALL servers. I think that's how a lot of people feel and are just there to see what it's like but aren't actually interested in playing on the server much. Most of the people I've talked to have tried Oakwynd but are turned off by starting all over, the slow rate of EXP, and the lack of free trade. IMO, that's to be expected.
  13. Doze Augur

I strongly disagree with your take on this.
    Everyone that actually cares about the future of EverQuest should 100% stay away from Oakwynd, since if DPG get the impression that Oakwynd is even remotely a success then that is the one way to ensure that they WILL implement FTE on all future TLP servers - and most likely on all the regular servers as well.
    Lawyer and Ballzz like this.
  14. Shemak Journeyman

There s the possibility that not being able to kill steal and train people kept a certain kind of players away. And i wish them all the best on other TLP
    DeadRagarr and Rijacki like this.
  15. Atomos Augur

Surely you don't think they'd call FTE a success simply by week 1 numbers of a brand new TLP. What matters is how many of those people stay and what they are saying on forums/Discord.

Truth be told, most of what I'm seeing is "FTE isn't as bad as I thought" so you might want to get used to the concept. That said, I'm more concerned with what people think after they've dealt with camping some named rather than just EXPing, cause EXP is easy, it's everywhere, especially with picks and EXP pots and EXP bonuses. But rare named spawns, stuff for Epics... this is where I want to see what people think. I see people mentioning "boxer groups can't take our EXP mobs anymore" but what about when those boxers are using programs on all of their computers to spam claim agro on the named they were camping?
    Klokk and Ballzz like this.
  16. Magician9001 Augur

Meanwhile in Necromancer Chat #2.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. code-zero Augur

Apparently the armies of whatever not showing up and staying online 24/7/365 is really a bad thing then?
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Magician9001 Augur

FTE has been almost nothing but positive. Noticeable less camp drama and you can now AFK at zone ins and not worry about getting trained. The only minor negative is sometimes if you try to engage on a mob that just spawned you need to wait 2-3 seconds.

You can't instant engage the mobs randomly unlock a few seconds after spawning. So basically nobody has an advantage. Because of this a bunch of the more toxic boxers didn't show up and bully people out of camps. The few boxers playing on Oakwynd are the type that look for open camps rather then just bullying a lower level group out of Frenzy or something like that.
    Rijacki and Zrender like this.
  19. wade_watts Augur

You guys are all right. This is the best server ever, no issues, everyone loves it. That is why it is the first TLP in history to dip below high within the first week. People love it so much they don't even need to play it.

;)
    Familycat23 likes this.
  20. Triconx Augur

Imagine being so invested on wanting to see something fail. What a strange flex. You must be fuming right now.

Touch grass.
    Aiona, Skuz and Zrender like this.