Oakwynd exp / legacy

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by KronoCatcher, May 29, 2023.

1. KronoCatcher Journeyman

Lets be honest about the Legacy / Heirloom stuff here. The 10% exp bonus on a server that already has slow exp is garbage. Once this 50% exp bonus ends, your looking at a sold 50-60 hours of play time to get a toon to lvl 50 for raiding. 3-4 hours of play a night plus lfg / travel time, your looking at 3-4 weeks to hit 50 for raiding with 8 weeks in an expansion.

Will this post change the devs intentions on this? Prolly not but it would be nice if ppl were able to stick around on the server because ill give them props on the FTE, its not too bad. Just saying dont kill the server before it gets rolling.
    Risiko, Vetis and Nymm like this.
  2. kain200 Augur

The slow exp rate on this server has hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. I was not prepared for this. I think the last TLP I started on was Agnarr. I know thats been awhile but I really feel like it wasn't anywhere near this bad. I know Agnarr was good enough that I just kept on playing for awhile whereas Oakwynd is so bad, I started questioning whether I could even continue playing...at level 12. This is with the 50% bonus going. It's still painfully slow. I don't know if I'll be able to stomach it when it drops on tuesday.

Also, getting a 10% reward after the slow grind to max? You might as well throw a homeless person a penny and tell them to enjoy a hot meal. Then go back a few hours later and take the penny away along with a few other pennies they may have scrapped together because "oops!, level cap increased!"
    KronoCatcher and Nymm like this.
  3. Hashire New Member

Imagine being sad you didn't get 50 quick enough in a 24 year old out dated, dying game that you didn't get to kill a pixelated dragon.

Burn it down!
  4. Nymm Journeyman

What is it about the age of the game or pixelation of the dragon that makes slow xp enjoyable? Pretty sure that won't convince anyone that numbers not going up is fun, when they want numbers to go up.
    KronoCatcher likes this.
  5. Karne New Member

Exact kind of response that really adds no value to the conversation. If you disagree with him, that is completely your right. But, at least come back with something of value to the conversation.

The server experience is too slow. I can only hope they did this on purpose as a way to limit leveling during a bonus weekend so close to the launch. If they just continue this bonus weekend experience as the new normal, it will go a long way to making this server actually playable.
    Risiko, aFTeRLiFe, Moraeulf and 2 others like this.
  6. Apple New Member

Thank you for this lackluster server Daybreak. You continuing support of mischief is appreciated.
    Appren, Jontrann and KronoCatcher like this.
  7. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There are a lot of different playstyles. I've actually been enjoying that the leveling hasn't been blink and you miss it like on Live. But, I also have no interest in the race and grinding raids. Thankfully, there appear to be a goodly chunk of those with like mind. I am hoping they sustain Oakwynd for a long time to come, too.
    GnomeGnomeGnome, Yinla and Fallfyres like this.
  8. Captain Video Augur

The base XP rate, not counting holiday bonus, is exactly the same as it was on Yelinak, Mischief/Thornblade, Aradune/Rizlona, and Mangler. There has been no artificial reduction of XP rate on this server. People who keep claiming this has been done are delusional. Players seem to be able to level just fine. If it's taking you too long to level to 50, my advice is git gud. If you want Live XP rate in Classic content, play on a Live server.
  9. Recondojoe Lorekeeper

I like slower / grindy games, which is why I also play on P99.

But I did notice that the exp feels dramatically slower than when Mischief launched? I feel like the XP pots we got back then was 50% instead of 25%. Also I think it might have been the hype, the groups I were in were so hardcore I was being added to voice chats with complete strangers and being asked to buy clarity potions with real life $ unless I wanted to be replaced by someone who could keep up.
    Muramx likes this.
  10. brickz Augur

Is there any evidence this is any slower or did people just forget how it feels to level a character without giving them full raid gear at level 1?
    Lejaun, Iyacc and Rijacki like this.
  11. GnomeGnomeGnome Elder

This is my first TLP from the start, and I have to admit, i totally forgot how it would feel having a level 10 warrior wearing mostly cloth, with no stat gear at all. In fact, i have only upgraded my newbie sword to a rusty short sword hahahaha. So yeah, that element of it does slow things down.
    But, for me, the shock like a punch in the face, was the first level 2 kill. A mob gives you about 3% while you are level 1, then the very next kill drops down to 0.8%. And in that moment, I realised i was going to probably have to kill over 100 mobs to hit level 3.
    Obviously it is not that bad if you can kill white or even yellow cons. But those first few days in the newbie-zone, it was hard to find any white-cons, because everyone else was freaking out trying to get them.
    So I do sort of agree with some of the other people here, that the slow exp rate has been a bit discouraging.
  12. Temporality New Member

There's two things to consider here.

One, the most recent prior TLPs may have used Mangler exp rates, but they had 12 weeks of classic, not 8. The number of actual hours required to hit cap if you aren't risking DVT in the first two days is two-three times as much as the premades experience. Around 100-200 hours of /played. I've never done it, but I'd love to know the /played solo to 50 on Mangler rate servers. It has to be god awful.

Two, with every passing year, the player base continues to age. With the exception of certain kinds of people, most either have more responsibilities/worse health (and thus less interest in sitting in grind groups for 10 hours straight) or have simply done this specific grind enough times to have lost their taste for it.

I'm in both camps. I have less time and less interest to sit in long duration grind groups, and I have done this enough times to also be sick of it. Perhaps it would be different if they flattened the ZEMs, but as it is, it's bottle necked the same as it always is. First night, if you're at the front of the pack, you have all of the mobs to yourself in the high ZEM zones. After that, you are competing with a dozen other groups in every pick, and you are slowed down by those other groups because there's less exp available than what your group can handle. Going to low ZEM zones isn't an improvement, even if you never run out of mobs to kill.

GnomeGnomeGnome, you don't want a rusty short sword. You want a cracked staff (or a giant snake fang, or a vendor bought weapon.)
    sadre likes this.
  13. sadre Augur

They know this. I already pitched the nursing home tlp's. The genius of those will be, you don't got to unlock nothin. Unless you exploit their earning potential via macros, like my company does (platinum plat farmers ltd) they just will sit at a non-existent camp. And *hold* it, whatever that even means to them.

Lots of the early players who were already "adulting" in original working as IT admins and such, they are already well on their way up Mount What.

What we are trying to roll out is a national "Let Grandma be an elf before she dies" themed campaign. Kind of like "Give them the wonder once again!" pitch. The aim is to make Everquest the Disneyland of the basement set as they age out.
  14. Krizem Augur

Complaining about xp is like the favorite pastime on just about any server. Yelinak only had 8 weeks of classic too and I think Mischief had 4 weeks? Although you could buy your own raid gear to help there on free trade. Certainly there are always those who have time constraints and stuff, but a fair portion of the server is already max level and give it a week or two and many more will be. That's more than half the time left for raiding, tradeskilling, or whatever one likes to do in EQ. If you are hardcore, you get 7 weeks + of that, if you are not hardcore...you still get a fair amount of time. Pretty much the same as always.
  15. KronoCatcher Journeyman

We will see how it sustains after the bonus drops tomorrow. :)
  16. IlllIllIllIlll Journeyman

The legacy character bonus should kick in for all characters who are of at least the prior expansion's level cap, not the current expansion.
    KronoCatcher likes this.
  17. PriestofDiscord Journeyman

I've seen the complaint about slow XP brought up quite a bit on these forums, but honestly I'm not seeing it.

Do we have any figures comparing XP here against prior TLPs? I'd honestly be surprised if there was much difference.
  18. Lineater Augur

It’s the standard TLP xp rate. Same as Phinny/Aradune/Mangler etc.
  19. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Mischief felt faster because we weren't staring at our XP bars on the way to 50, we were staring at the advloot window wondering what crazy thing was going to drop next. It didn't feel like as much of a grind even if it was technically the same total # of mobs required.
  20. gunstar Apprentice

Hit 50 tonight with my static and we're doing planes tomorrow. XP rate felt just right - still quite a mountain to climb but not the 6 month slog of p99.

Remember this isn't WoW. The leveling is the highlight of the game, not the raids. If you're not having fun leveling maybe EQ isn't for you anymore. We had a blast, made new friends, and made lots of wild memories of things gone horribly wrong and amazingly right. Feels good to be back in Norrath.
    Rijacki likes this.