New Hero's Forge sets in Daybreak store. Pricing Typo?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Thren, May 26, 2023.

1. Thren Lorekeeper

I am a collector of armor sets,, and have many. Some of these are easy to get, some are harder. That said I want to know who at daybreak, slipped and banged their head, and thought someone would actually pay 99 dollars real money for a set of VR armor for a game , and even better yet 199 dollars for a new set just released.

I truly hope this is just a typo , I have been waiting for the clockwork set to be sold again, and the Golden Hero set I also would be interested in,, maybe for 9.99 and 19.99, but thats about as much as Im going to spend on a make believe set of armor for a make believe toon, in a make believe game.
    Shanarias and Toukan like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The Golden was $250 originally although that was shared across your accounts. Then it was brought out at $199 in 2016, and in 2018 they offered it as part of the package with 1 year access, a heroic toon, a bag and the golden for $199.

So it has come out in various forms and it seems to sell well.

I also collect HF armor but refuse to buy the golden set. There are other sets that will look gold, I alternate between the "fake gold" look and my full set of Millin's halfling scale mail on my Ranger and he looks just like a silver SK. He still can't do FD though.
  3. eqgamer Augur

100% not a typo. And if it were cheap then everyone would have some of the best looking orns in the game and they'd lose some level of awesomeness. I'm glad they've kept it at those costs for that reason alone.
    Andarriel likes this.
  4. Thren Lorekeeper

Not many players will dole out that kind of cash for a suit alone,, maybe as a perk for higher edition expansion, I know myself, I wont ever pay that price, dont care if there is only 2 people across all servers that have them.. not a single suit of armor ornaments in this game is worth that much. but to each their own.
    But I do think its a poor financial decision to price yourself out of the majority of the player base when only a few will " bite" and buy. When at a reasonable price, 20 bucks for example, they would make more money . 5 people buy at ridiculous price, vs, 100 people buy at reasonable price.. more money to be made for daybreak in the latter ..
  5. Thren Lorekeeper

PS.. and if they were going to do as you say and always keep it high priced, why not leave it up all the time ? Give people time to square away real life bills and obligations and save to buy? Just randomly throwing up for 2 weeks,, every 3 years, I dont know about you, but I cant just squeeze out 200 bucks out of my real budget in 2 weeks, because daybreak decided to put up an expensive suit out of the blue.
  6. FYAD Augur

It's a status symbol and they've been around for awhile now, just for limited time windows. $200 for vanity items is more like making a donation to the game and you get something to brag about.

Or maybe they're just a sign of how much a sucker the purchaser is.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

This is the EQ equivalent of the "I am rich" app ;)
    Bobokin likes this.
  8. Sissruukk Rogue One

Well, if it makes you feel any better, with All Access + 20%, the price comes down to about $160.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Bobokin Augur

Economic thinking suggests this is a poor way to build a customer base. Is it better to make some money by selling an item at an outrageous price to a few players or making the same amount or more selling it at a lower price to more players and making more players invested in the game and actually happy?

Instead, they choose to alienate many players, many of whom are veterans, on Memorial Day weekend with this elitist dungbucket of an offering. It's all hubris. SMH
  10. Febb Augur

I don't think I've ever spent over $10 a pop in the marketplace on anything and I rarely buy anything from the marketplace and I have plenty of money to spend. A couple hundred is a drop in the bucket for me. However, I bet there are people out there that will buy these sets because they like throwing their money away.
    ProbablyAFK likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think the ability to buy this optional armor appearance is going to make many players more invested in the game. They already have plenty of different sets at more reasonable prices, not sure why these sets will alienate players.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The Golden set sales tatic is similar to real life. Supposed to be rare, envious and the top of the line of the HF armors just like Porsche was supposed to be top in its day. Of course we all know some Porsches have VW engines.

They bring it out randomly just like Taco Bell brings out its Enchrito (its back right now if your into that) or McDonald's brings back the McRib (don't know and don't care when that is here). Limited time offers sell more.

If you don't like it then use the substitute like I mentioned. No one can really tell the difference.
  13. Bobokin Augur

We have been over this before. Yes, they treat it like a luxury good. Is that a good way to build a player base? Market economics would suggest otherwise.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I got for my ranger $199 got me the golden armor and a 40 slot golden bag. Some people need to stop being so cheap if everyone had this would greatly lose it value.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

It's Cash Grab Season at Daybreak.

Another TLP to entice the recyclers to subscribe again, and a stupidly priced "status symbol" trinket to entice the whales that DON'T play TLP servers to spend money.
  16. Bobokin Augur

Read the comments here. This type of thing alienates many players. If you don't know why, you are part of the problem. People are willing to pay to play to help the company keep the game alive, but this is just out of hand. These prices are so whacked, I sometimes wonder if they use these to launder money.

Most players just move to other games when they get sick of getting charged five ways to play a game two decades old, and the elitist attitude of some players here does not help the majority of other players.
  17. Donaghy_AB New Member

I got two sets and out of the left over db cash i got an aspect of the brood and big spider illusion.. I am happy
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yes, Apple really needs to set their iPhone 14 Pro to $100. It’s going to make more customers and help society.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I know i did at the time i either got the golden armor bundle or life subscription which they were selling for like 300-400 i forgot the price. I felt like in the end i was hurting the company. I like eq been playing since 2000 so i dont mind paying subscriptions or krono's.
  20. Marton Augur

Cash grab.