So I made my first TLP toon on Oakwynd...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cicelee, May 25, 2023.

1. Cicelee Augur

Started up around 8:45pm PST, no queue, no wait. Went out with my rusty weapon and started to slowly whack mobs. And I mean sloooooooowly. But I got like 3% XP for a dark blue, 5% for white. I am cool with that. I ding level 2, and suddenly I am getting 0.7% XP for the same mobs that gave me 3%. I knew there would be a drop off, but yikes! And the mobs were now dying slooooowly, which is an improvement but still. And I ran around, got a couple armor pieces, and at 10:05pm PST I painstakingly hit level 3. And then I realized one of the main reasons why I never started over on a TLP-

O my goodness is this slow! To me, painfully slow!

I will say I did get some moments of excitement when I was low health on the verge of death. And to my surprise, I got excited about reading some quest that would bring my character an item with like +3 STA and like AC 10 or something- did not expect that euphoria over a level 10 quest item. But for those of you non Krono farmers who start over on these TLP for the "experience", more power to you! It might be too slow for me, I admit. I shudder when I get to level 7 and if I cannot get a group, goodness.
    Nymm, Koshk and Herf like this.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Basically have to group to level at a semi decent rate on TLPs, the xp bonus for multiple players and the exp caps per kill mean you want 6 players killing yellow/red cons consistently.
    Bailen, Koshk, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

How fast do you think a level 120 will be able to get to 121 by solo grinding mobs in the next expansion on live?

Find a group, bother, it's what TLP is all about.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Fair and valid point. As far as going from 120-125, you have an entire year to do so (technically). And you have partisans and missions to help provide large chunks of XP, whereas that is not the case on a TLP (at least early on). And if you want to keep up with the masses on a TLP, one year to get to 50 is probably not going to suffice.

But I agree about the grouping aspect. I expected that later, not so much at level 2 is all.
  5. Cidran Augur

Indeed, it's way slower. There is plenty of time and groups available too, but I think TLP allows for different mindsets. Every expansion brings something new to the table... Some players enjoy rushing to the top but I think it's best not worrying too much about it and just have fun doing your own thing ;)
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You're supposed to start picking up other players and forming a group, because it will benefit you both. The leveling is slower, so the friends you meet don't completely out-level you over night.

Fresh TLPs are the best time for making new social connections.
  7. Numiko Augur

EXP is a lot better now on TLP's.
    When Phinny first launched exp was capped at 2% a kill even vs red cons.
  8. Nymm Journeyman

It feels far slower than the last several TLPs, which all felt about twice as fast.
  9. Muramx Augur

I did notice the exp isn't remotely consistent. I was level 4 and killed an even con kobold and got .9% killed a yellow, 1 level up, and got 5.2% killed a blue and got .7% seems like the exp is all over the place. In Crushbone killing the same level orc centurions I would get a wide range of barely any exp and then a lot.
    Bailen likes this.
  10. Bullsnooze Augur

Fallfyres likes this.
  11. mcsleezy Elder

Just spent the last 2 hours trying to group with new players and no one interested.

Either people are boxing or in pre made groups.

Or they would rather solo.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

People who aren't filling up their box team or even going from solo to 2 players need to slap their own foreheads, on TLP it's just mathematically way better to group with as many people as you can fit in your group, and the old advice holds true, build your own groups as much as you can, use the LFG tool & message the general & area channels, once you got a couple folks find a camp & recruit more.

It is always a pain in the butt to build groups when nobody knows wtf you are but it doesn't take long to build up a rep as a group-builder if you keep at it, word of mouth goes a long ways.
    Bullsnooze and code-zero like this.
  13. mcsleezy Elder

Dude is stuck in 1999
  14. Herf Augur

Those numbers mus exp divided across the group. It's definitely not per group member since adding a third person to my group gives less xp per kill per group group member than with two people in the group.
    Koshk likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Me?
    Nope, I was on Ragefire TLP & made plenty of PuG's from Classic through to the end of Velious.
    Took a short break then once GoD unlocked on Phinigel TLP I was there until it hit live, I 2/3 boxed until I caught up then made PuG's mostly, taking advantage of every bonus XP weekend, before Omens of War Unlocked I was Level 65 with pretty much all my combat AA.

I did have quite a lot of good guildie groups on Ragefire since we were all levelling up together, but on Phinigel until I caught up to the level cap I only had small amounts of help from a single long time good friend who was playing & there was almost nobody else at my level on the server during my levelling phase, bar a few twinks getting PL'd.

Once I got "known" for running decent groups I had less & less trouble finding people, this is no different to playing on Live really except on Live it is actually much harder to form groups, long after 1999 word of mouth good reputation still carries value in EQ.
  16. Doze Augur

Yes, but 3 people is normally able to kill more mobs faster and able to keep killing with much lower downtime (if any at all) ... unlike when you are soloing.
    And a full group will be able to kill even more, faster and with even less downtime (by allowing healers and casters to med while the melees are pulling, starting up on and finishing off mobs).
  17. Tucoh Augur

28ish hours for first level 50 on Oakwynd.
  18. Herf Augur

My point is that it's not just a matter of numbers, it depends on the gear and AAs of the toons. Trying to get XP in Crypt of Decay with 4 boxes of which one or more are under equipped is painful; better to drop to 3 to get more XP.
  19. Doze Augur

Well, each member of course needs to be able to contribute in a meaningful way to actually make the killing faster and/or downtime lower (unless you are PL'ing them).

However, you are talking about Crypt of Decay here, but this is a thread about the newly started Oakwynd TLP, so it is hardly a relevant scenario (yet) since CoD(PoP) won't be available on Oakwyn until christmas (assuming Oakwynd is even still around by then).
  20. Ballzz Journeyman

Are you the Cicelee from Lanys server back in the day?