Your tradeskill expertise

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rooksmirk, May 23, 2023.

1. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Hi, i am thinking on how to optimize my tradeskills on the new tlp: Here are a few questions i only have a vague idea of and would like a confirmation :

a high stat in wisdom/intel would benefit tradeskill, i read somewhere.

1. Does it mean a cleric would upgrade his skill in say tailoring much faster than a warrior ?

2. Do the following tradeskill cost a lot of platinums before a decent return on investment ?
    Jewelcraft, blacksmithing, alchimy ? i would think so, but some players are able to sell trade stuff quite early in the EC tunnel, i always wonder how they could.

3/ Can one make money out of fletching ? i doubt it so how can a ranger finance this tradeskill to quickly get his trueshot bow ?

4/ should you not sell a krono in game for plats; at what level about a toon can be pretty proficient in the skills listed in 2, assuming no extra help from guild.?

5/ selling a krono in game seems to be the only way to level a tradeskill early one. Prove me wrong please.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Shredd Augur

When I was a baby shaman decades ago I made plat from making alchemy, visible gear, and pet gear. . pet gear was when con-flagrant is a thing. I still make millions ever expansion creating all the trade skill raid containers, and dumping on my bazaar mule. Note, never charge guild mates or folks who ask me to make it for them. I just ask for the material.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

1. So for an early TLP it matters, once players start hitting overcap stats it really won't matter as you cannot specialize in any particular stat any more. Pulled below for the description on stats vs success.
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Tradeskills
    • The chance of a skill increase is higher on a successful combine than on a failure.
    Edit: Tatanka 7/16/22: This is true for lower values of INT/WIS (or whatever the applicable stat happens to be). Once you hit a stat value of 420, then successes and failures have the same chance to give a skillup. Since most trades depend on INT/WIS, I'll address that here. Somewhere around level 66-68 (sorry, my notes weren't any more specific than that), you will be able to get enough AAs to raise your INT/WIS cap quite a bit. That, combined with now being high enough to have the enchanter buff Precognition land on you, will now get your INT/WIS to at least 420.

Prime Stat buffs: Always get buffs that increase your INT, WIS, DEX (dexterity applies only to fletching and poison making), or STR (applies only to blacksmithing), depending on whichever is highest. This increases the likelihood of successful combines.

2. If you are vendor selling, you will not make any additional plat as by design the vendor buy/sell is made to be a plat sink, but some recipes have less of a plat loss than others. The ROI you will get from TSing will be as baz/tunnel seller, depending on what expansion is open and what items are in demand.

3. Tieing into #2, unless there is an in demand fletched TS item you can sell to players, you would have to plat farm a different way.
  4. Rooksmirk Journeyman

What does ROI mean ? real optimum income ?
  5. Iven Antonius Bayle

Yes if the cleric has higher WIS than the warrior, but it is different for other tradeskills. INT and WIS are generally the primary tradeskill stats but some are also linked to DEX and STR.

http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g256&menustr=030000000000

Tradeskills are often not an investment but a deinvestment instead, which is the same like a money and time sink. The costs to raise tradeskills are much to high for most categories and you can dump millions of pp into them. While many unique items can only be generated by tradeskills like weapon and shield ornaments (pottery) or rocket packs (tinkering), most stuff is useless and you will put much more money into it than you will receive back because players are avaricious or are always short on money, and the competition between traders and the drop items is big. In other words, the tradeskill ingame market concept, if there was any, is broken since a long time. Jewelcraft and blacksmithing are the more expensive tradeskills. Alchemy is a cheaper one.

Hardly. Quivers can be a thing but only ~1/16 of all PCs are rangers. High level rangers do only need one arrow because of the Endless Quiver AA and the drop bows are about always better after PoP. For the pp you can farm hill giants in Rathe Mountains or buying a Krono. Buying a Krono is much more efficient. Even that still a few players do farm mobs for pp it is pretty silly because they do pay it with their time and hardware+energy costs and what else is related to them (food costs, eye health, ....).

Does depend on many other factors as just the level.

I never bought a Krono but had raised all tradeskills on one PC to at least 300 after starting out fresh with zero pp and help. AllAccess and the offline-trader function (RoF, 2012) had helped much to finance them but buying a Krono is much cheaper. Today they go for more than 4 mio pp on many servers, which is enough to max all tradeskills without the AA extension limits (300+), which is another story.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Return on Investment
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

Put a buyer up for tradeskilling items that you need. Let others farm the stuff you need.
  8. Crashdummy Elder

Jewelcraft skill is pricey there are more economical paths at higher expac releases, and a lot more farming. Blacksmithing is always pricey with a few future intermediate cheaper things with specific farming. Alchemy can be store bought parts to 232, and all the way to 300+ max trophy to 15% once you can get 1000s of Deepwater ink from water zones, or Nodding Blue Lily from Sebilis frogs. (These items get sold to NPC and are cheap to buy back)
    To make a Trueshot Longbow, triv 235, a skill of 200 or better should be good and can be gained from storebought supplies, not sure the cost, the required parts can be gained easily enough, that failing the combine does not seem like a big problem.
    Rooksmirk likes this.