Scale all city guards to current levels

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sonoflame, May 20, 2023.

1. Sonoflame New Member

I really liked that there was always a fear of getting your butt handed to you if you went into a city that didn't like you. If a high elf went into the dark elf city and vise versa they would get their butt handed to them back in the early EQ days. I think the guards in these cities need to be scaled up to current levels so you can't go into a enemy city and wreck havoc.
  2. Strawberry Augur

I imagine the only players still regularly visiting towns like Freeport are newbees who need the weapon augments or Arena Badge charm. With high level guards, you're just going to kill these people making their experience worse. The high-level players don't need to be there to begin with.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Don't you need to kill some of the Freeport guards for pally epic?
    Allayna likes this.
  4. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

At level 120 I never go to the evil cities to wreck havoc. Why would I? Killing old mobs in a matter of seconds or less isn't a very good way to spend your time playing EQ. If all of a sudden high level guards were put into the game, who would it hurt? Not me, since I wouldn't bother with them.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am sure that isn't the only quest that would be impacted.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It's the only one which sprang to mind, but yeah, I'm sure there is others.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is this a TLP issue? I don't see this happening on Bristlebane.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  8. Windance Augur

I like PC scaling. I put in my time and if I go back to old content I *WANT* to be able to WTF own those guards.
    strongbus and Kaenneth like this.
  9. FYAD Augur

They should also scale all previous raid mobs, going back to classic era, to the current level hp/dmg figures as well.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Militia for SK epic, too.
    KarmaKitty and Yinla like this.
  11. Annastasya Augur

Did you say WRECK HAVOC? you are fired from the internet sir. Pack your sh&&. Clean out your desk. If you do not have a desk to clean out, one will be provided for you. And get the $^&# out.
    Shanarias likes this.
  12. Shanarias Augur

One of my fondest memories of being actually new at the game (I started with the first day of Kunark I think) was in North Freeport, around the corner from the bank, on that sort of ramp, as I recall. Some guy came up and trashed a guard for about 4 minutes before the guard went down. The guy gave me something like 500pp for "keeping my mouth shut", and I was RICH! I think I was about a lvl 5 Cleric at the time. :)
    Yinla, Rijacki and Carden like this.
  13. Laronk Augur

I've slayed beasts you can't even imagine.
    I've killed gods.
    I've saved norrath.
    I am more wealthy than the entire city of freeport, wealth those guards couldn't even imagine.
    I am the most interesting man in all of norrath

These little city guards in these safe little towns where snakes kick don't need to be higher level. They were killable when the level cap was 50.
    Fenthen, Allayna, Vumad and 2 others like this.
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Bristlebane had an all Troll guild called Grobb Squad (Sqwad?) back in the day. It was pretty fun to watch them raid Kaladim as a group role-playing a war against the shorties. Ah the days when a "raid mob" hit for 96 damage and kicked/bashed for 70 damage and you were like NEWP! Those hit too hard!
    :D
  15. Pops Racer Olde Faht

I'd think it would be fun if the city guard would respond to multiple guard deaths by sending full squads led by high-level "Captains". If these were wiped out, perhaps the level 120 "City Champion" would show up.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Lets just boost all the newbie guards to 250 so nobody will even think about attacking them! I remember my 1st char i begged off a kaladim guard yea he one shotted me lol.
  17. Cloud the Third Augur

So if we go to freeport and start killing weak guards they would send higher level guard groups to attack and then if all of them were killed batman would show up?
    Pops Racer likes this.
  18. KarmaKitty Augur

If you know what faction the guards are on, you can at least check your faction before zoning.
    That is an improvement. However, having level 120 guards in the newbie zones would curb my
    TS supply farming.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

The halflings deserve it.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Perhaps one of the worst ideas floated on these forums, ever.