EQ is quickly falling behind

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, May 19, 2023.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

SOE also promised something similar for EQ2 when it was early in development.
  3. uberkingkong Augur

This is what I mean by EQ is quickly falling behind. You have to get using it so your up to date, otherwise you will spend too much time

Super helpful to give as much context as possible when solving the problem. Problem is solved.

19:18 - 20:12
    19:54 if I kept telling it its not working, it will keep giving you solutions that do not work
    He explains later, 19:58, more context, NOW its actually working as its suppose too.

See what you are doing is your not trying to any problem, your just looking for problems. Thats your problem.
    Glass half empty, lets see how can make it even more half empty. You not solving anything.
    Ex. Computer wont turn on. Computer is not on. Computer its still not on. Are you sure the computer is on? The computer is not on.
    Lacking context is basically how it appears you are using AI.

You are not able to get the technology to work/ give proper results. Others are able to get it work.
    Get better at using AI.

If you have coding experience, someone WITHOUT coding experience is doing better job than you can do using AI.

It's already been done, its already live, Skyrim mod. Did not require many developers to work on, you don't need a huge dev team. You need people who are motivated.

It's one thing to talk about it, but right now it's a reality. It exists, it is out there, it's a matter of staying up to date or being left behind now. Its here. People are already using it.

Stay up to date or be left behind.

You know like elderly people, they choose not to learn how to use computers and such, look at the state they are in now. Saying to them "click the searchbar" they struggle with simple tasks.

You do not want to struggle with simple tasks in utilizing AI. It's here, its not talk anymore.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Skyrim mods are nothing like working it into an mmo. We already told you, you know this. Until you can answer that point, just stop.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I'm excited for the potential AI brings. AI in EverQuest is not among them. Maybe using AI to write quests or design new zones. But nah. I'm good with AI staying out of EQ.
    WFSBelaar and Rijacki like this.
  6. kliqIMB Elder

Probably one of the more salient points being made here. Not even just "why isn't EQ doing it", but rather, "Why are all of the people who understand how these things are made telling everyone else that this is one of the worst ideas of all time?"
    Rijacki likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even the people making it are telling us to be careful with what we do with it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Strawberry Augur

English isn't my native tongue.

"AI gets your 90% there" reminds me of this argument in language learning.

"If you learn the 3,000 most frequently used words, you will understand 90% of any text."

Not really. It's actually that last 10% that tends to contain the essence of the text.

"The xxxx fell into the xxxx and turned into a xxxx."

"The frog fell into the pond and turned into a princess."

These less frequently used words are essential to understanding the text.

If AI somehow gives you 90% of the code for a simple game, and it still has many major issues, but you can't program, what use is it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  9. uberkingkong Augur

EQ doesn't invest in new features. All Darkpaw does is make 2.0s, invests on nostalgia which has been used again and again, eventually nostalgia runs out because thats all they do.

Next expansion, even more Luclin nostalgia, we have not heard from the grimlings, and their wereabouts. We have to go back into time, 2.0 it.

No new features no new anything, another go back into time.

Housing, no updates, still same old housing
    Maps UI, no updates, still same old map 20 years ago
    new armor, no updates, still same old armor many moons ago
    NPC/AI's, no updates, still same old static stand in same spot all day brainless AI/NPC many moons ago
    NPCs that can talk deliver speech, no updates, some old text based many moons ago

We welcome you to the 34th expansion, Kunark 4.0.
    Come join us and relive the past and enjoy nostalgia many moons ago.
    New zones, Emerald Jungle 4.0
    An ancient ancient old wurm

Meanwhile other games,
    Guild Wars 2, Jade bots, skiffs, fishing, new mount siege turtle. Racing.

Does EQ have it? No
    EQ a 20+ year MMORPG, does it have that other thing? No
    How about this other thing does EQ have it? No
    Racing, does EQ have racing? No
    Jumping puzzles? No
    Flying mounts? No
    Costume Brawl? No
    EQ has group missions/quest/raids
    GW2 group missions/quests/raids/fractals/strikes/meta events/story/living story......
    FFXIV even more listing, more things does EQ have. Nope not even close to matching.

EQ older, more content, yada yada yada.
    Feature for feature, gets whooped, gets left in the dust by other MMOs, quickly falling behind because NOTHING feature wise

Many years what has EQ been doing? Not staying up to date, quickly falling behind because they don't do anything but
    Welcome to Velious 3.0.
    Lucentio likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

AI chat isn't something that is going to improve the game and bring players back to it as there are many other things that need to be addressed in the game.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

If AI learned from player input I cant imagine how that would be abused.
    Rijacki and Shanarias like this.
  12. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Sounds like you are trying to sum up live things being mostly recycling of the things but don't forget the significant revenue from the things that already exist wrapped in certain rule changes! Why take the risk of trying really new things if you can just tweak the things you have and still profit?

They are not quickly falling behind. They have taken a nice leisurely pace, probably to avoid all those graves people keep digging for EQ.

EQ has an annual Drunken Gnome Race. Race is in the title. You can race. You even get the modern technology of a shirt that let's everyone know you were there.

They have levitating mounts. There are lots of birds that fly but how many can hover in place and change direction instantly? Also, I would argue, flight is completely unnecessary once you attain teleportation magics and/or technology.

You can put on costumes and brawl, PvE and PvP.

You can ride a squirrel too. It doesn't even matter if you are ogre sized or gnome sized. We can all ride squirrels as nature designed them to be. What other game is doing that?

13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I do believe this is the reason for upgrading the system to 64-bit in phases, which by the way happens to not be free. In fact, it's quite an investment. The game is too old and upgrading how the game is capable of using modern PC hard ware will go a long ways to offering new features.

I can't even imagine what the Devs that have to do to add things like add a larger inventory bag limit or add features like Dragon's Hoard and Tradeskill Depot.

Random EQ Dev_01 says, "you want me to do what and not strangle the game's memory and cause massive lag...?!"
  14. Keenween Elder

What a pointless discussion :rolleyes:

Go play WoW or something…:D

PS: I like everquest how it is (and that’s why I play it since 1999)
  15. tuokenn New Member

This may be a naïve question but what is a krono farmer? I understand what farming is but I don't really understand what krono farming is. I'm guessing not everybody does?

Probably not everybody cares either. A simple curiosity question is all from a returning player who never heard of a krono being farmed back in the day, it just didn't exist in our vocabulary. o_O

How does krono farming destroy the game, what does that even mean and why can't they stop it?

It's clear the krono is only something that can be purchased in the marketplace. You have to buy it with real money. It doesn't drop off a mob somewhere. How could it ever be farmed in the traditional meaning of the word? It seems the word farming has been given some kind of a new meaning that old returning players like myself don't understand.

Therefore an explanation for folks like myself, returning back into the game, it could be helpful and save us a lot of time if someone would extend themselves to break it down for us old returning players, thanks :D
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

They are farming things to sell for plat so they can buy Krono with it.
  17. tuokenn New Member

Yes of course. They stated krono farming was ruining the game. My question was how?

If so why doesn't EverQuest try to stop it? They control the kronos.

I read the wiki on it but it didn't really provide much of an explanation.
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Zone disruption. Krono farmers take all the spawns, run over other players with trains to drive them off, and other toxic behaviour, often while using 3rd party software that is considered by DB to be cheating. Since there is a drastically reduced customer support team, even when they get reported, nothing happens. They're also buying or selling for actual money, not just in-game money, which does really awful things to to the in-game economy.
  19. Strawberry Augur

[IMG]
  20. Strawberry Augur

Now if you're asking why this business actually makes Daybreak money, that's easy to explain.

You see "shady player" on the bottom left would have never bought a subscription in the old days, since he had no money for it. Even at $12 for Krono he's a bit apprehensive. But at the low price of $10 from "shady store" he'll bite and subscribe.

You see, Daybreak doesn't care who buys the Krono or where they end up, as long as they sell Krono. Daybreak pretends that the reselling of Krono and tax evasion of the farmers and Shady Store doesn't happen. As long as it creates a market for their Krono sales.

The reason why all these TLP with droppable items exist, is because it allows "shady farmer" to make lots of platinum, it creates this market that supports the farmer and Shady Store.