Non pulling monks ….

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Olestra, May 20, 2023.

1. Olestra Elder

Has the player base excepted monks who don’t like to pull? Or is it still expected that the monk pulls? I’m genuinely curious because I hate pulling but like the dps aspect of monks. I’ve done rogue and liked it and would love to play berserker but they won’t be available on oakwynd for some time.
  2. Riou EQResource

They shouldn't be pulling, but depends on the group
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Monks have a reputation as a "pulling" class due to FD splitting. However, for like 95% of the grinding you do in early TLP eras, your goal as a group isn't to slowly pull in single split mobs. It's to pull as many mobs as you can possibly handle at once, and often you're limited by respawns when there's other groups around.

Monk pulling is still useful for those situations where you actually do need to FD split a room, but it doesn't come up nearly as often as it did back in original EQ. Groups can handle 3, 4, 5+ mobs much more easily these days.

Some old school players will still default to "monk in group, monk should pull" - but whether or not that's actually a good idea is dependent on a bunch of variables. Usually the monk will be one of the highest DPS players in group, and as such is best kept in camp killing mobs while someone with lower DPS does the pulling (like a bard or enchanter, maybe a secondary tank or secondary healer)

That said, if you truly despise pulling, I wouldn't roll a monk. They are go to raid pullers for a lot of early EQ content, and they are still sometimes the best choice to pull for groups. If you hate pulling, roll a mage.
    FYAD likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If your group can plow, or the zone allows for it you should be doing that, pulling slows things down too much.
    Monks pulling is okay when absolutely necessary though.
    FYAD likes this.