EQ is quickly falling behind

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, May 19, 2023.

1. uberkingkong Augur

EQ is quickly falling behind other MMO's.

The issue its NOT embracing innovative technology.
    NOT embracing AI.

We are in tech BOOM right now, what is EQ doing? twiddling its thumbs.
    NOW is the time to act.

You want to talk about, they don't have the manpower, yada yada yada. Excuses excuses.
    That video, is 1 person, modding a game. 1 person.
    1 person VAST improvements on an old game.
    Hows EQ? Does EQ have 1 motivated person working? Can't compete with 1 person?
    Time to step up seriously
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Why can't my model-T go 100 miles per hour and have air conditioning?
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Actually, with the new UI (when it is finally working properly) and DirectX 11, they are doing more to keep up than I expected.

DirectX 11 will enable superior graphics visually and better frame rates (less graphics lag). The current DirectX 9 was released in 2002. That's 20 year old technology.

While the current graphics are acceptable to me (I don't play EQ for the graphics), the game needs new players or numbers will continue to decline. Any gamer today looks at EQ's graphics and winces.

It might take until 2024's expansion for the zones and NPCs to show DirectX 11 graphics, but the base is on the way. New player models can happen anytime after it is in the game.
    Caell, Rexa, winspearean and 7 others like this.
  4. Tenafter New Member

I think they’re talking about adding AI for communicating and not that graphics.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Because it is not embracing cloud computing, predictive AI, and add your favorite other buzz words here.

Although if it did 100mph I doubt you would need air conditioning.
    Aenvar and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  6. Tachyon Augur

AI could play the game too, they don't even need us.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Skyrim isnt an mmo.
    Szilent, minimind, Vumad and 2 others like this.
  8. Raccoo Augur

"Let's take a look at how well this actually works"
    Proceeds to fast-forward the time it takes for the NPC to come up with speech.
    minimind likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

I just asked the Bing AI if it could play Everquest and it said no. But it also told me that there was no Robot Revolution coming either ....
    winspearean, Nennius and minimind like this.
  10. Numiko Augur

maybe in EQ3, but no way EQ1 can do things like that.

Just like the model T it would require a new engine and lots of other changes to "go fast"

[IMG]
  11. kenmei Augur

true (though they do have an mmo running the same engine), but both games are about the same age now... elder scrolls the total line is actually older than EQ.
    so we can clearly see the benefits of embracing new technology and allowing outside devs/mods to add to the game's content and lore... vs. not doing that.
    You could also go and see Neverwinter 1 and 2 for similar results (also not mmo but fans make persistent online worlds from them, and clearly shows the advances very old games can make if they embrace their community instead of seeing them as adversaries).
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ok but your claim is that eq is "falling behind" based on AI. Show us an example of any other mmo that is using AI. Sure that would be amazing, but so far no one is doing it. Wonder why.
  13. kenmei Augur

i never claimed this, im not the OP. but if you wanna compare EQ tech to Bethesda's and the reasons why? EQ would be behind in that comparison.
    in m own personal experience, EQ held my attention for a good decade, now a modded Skyrim has for the last 5 years, havent touched EQ seriously in about 10 years now (I dabbled trying new stuff, and have played the dreaded p99).
    The main jist for me is, Skyrim/Bethesda finally embraced the folks making mods and the game exponentially exploded.
    EQ has never embraced their playerbase in this way.. EQ embraces whales, the same people who go to EQ Fairs are for the most part the krono farmers who destroyed the game, so the playerbase truly does not trust EQ in the same way.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As it stands that video shows a decent delay before the AI is responding which shows that it isn't ready to be in actual use yet.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Grab the tinfoil hats people! The revolution has begun. Run. Hide.

What?

Ahhhh the patch is over. Logging in now.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and code-zero like this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Give it time. If it works and increases profits it will spread. And I don't see a vaccine for it.
  17. Weverley Augur

Sometimes AI cause more problem then it solves. How many times did i heard tesla auto-pilot didn't work out the way its suppose to.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

AI / Machine learning is going to be a big deal, but for now it has limited uses, it is still nascent technology with massive potential and it will not be suitable for everything.
  19. kliqIMB Elder

I actually can't tell if OP is trolling or not. Calling ChatGPT nonsense a "vast improvement" to hand-crafted dialogue barks or quest design, when it's nothing more than glorified T9 text-prediction software for your phone, is maddening. This is why artistic mediums need to be less closed doors about the creation process. Very few people appreciate how things are made / the difficult of creation until they've experienced or seen it themselves. Every game that launches and doesn't immediately implode is a modern miracle.
    Ozon, Koshk and Nennius like this.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

Anyone remember when Bethesda promised AI for Oblivion - 21 years ago? They said the design would allow npcs to learn from seeing stuff the player did. Didnt happen. Later along came Skyrim. Still didnt happen. Maybe ES6 will have it.