Broken UI was not ready for game day

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Guzzledrout, May 20, 2023.

1. Guzzledrout New Member

This new UI was not ready for game day. I heard Devs were warned the software was not ready. So my wifes account was hit hard with whited out boxes, Whited out Inventory box with no descriptions or writting in Inventory, only bag icons showing, could not change or select items in Trader Window, whited out quantity boxes, lost all known recipes for crafting,.. etc, etc.Her computer is 5 years old. My is one year old. Issue on mine is Inventory window stacks on top of all opened window, but then I haven't been on that much. We uninstalled EQ and reinstalled on hers with no help.
    We have been paying for and playing off and on since 2003 and 2005 respectively.
    DEVS, before launching such a huge change to UI you need to test it on a older computer that is working well with EQ say 5 or 6 years old. Her computer was fine until you jacked with the UI. I don't know how many folks out there play on older computers but I know we cannot afford a couple thousand dollars when you decide to fix something before thoroughly vetting the implementation.
  2. dreadlord Augur

i don't think this was an old computer issue necessarily - mine's twice the age of your wife's (almost) and I didn't have the whited out boxes problem - altho some with much newer computers did.
    I do have a random character freeze problem and the inventory window always on top is driving me to distraction/
    But your substantive point - this was horribly and carelessly executed - I think everyone's agreeing with that!
  3. Iven the Lunatic

They only released it for making the players the testers and because they promised a release. The players on test server might be just slacking and it is not a real test server. It does not make sense to release an unfinished UI. It is not an UI revamp at all, just a small upgrade that does consume thousands of dev hours. Players were looking forward for a big change; Tabula Rasa.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They never promised a UI revamp and the goal of the project is to switch to a new UI engine and only making changes that are required for that switch.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its not the age of the computer. I have a really old one that had no changes to it at all and actually does not look like they changed anything. Have a much newer one and got the white inventory screen.

Some folk said it was if you had Radeon but again, old computer has the it and is fine while newer computer also has that and is not fine.

Emilari posted a fix for the white screen which worked very well for me and I no longer have the white inventory screen. Unfortunately the little boxes to buy or sell or anything like that are still white. But I can work around that.

I think they should hire Emilari. :D He has put more thought and corrected more issues than the current employees.

this is the link to his post
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/how-to-revert-back-the-ui.290675/#post-4223722

6. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I run on an older pc and haven't had the white bug or freezing. However even with that being the best case scenario, the new Inventory window still looks awful. The font looks like its from a different game, it's jarring to look at. Couple that with the overlaying all other windows buggyness, and I'm left wondering if the devs actually give a anymore.

They are pushing things live that are not even close to finished let alone polished.

If it ain't broke don't fix it seems to apply here.

Internal testing of this should be as simple as opening the inventory window next to any other chat or merchant window in the game. Does the font and clarity match? If no, you messed something up, don't release it.
    dreadlord likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think the takeaway from all of this is that the new UI should have never been pushed to Live servers until it was completely converted and as bug free as they could possibly get it. Doing it bit by bit, while not even fixing bugs that were reported, is just going to eventually piss off the players to a point where nobody really wants to log in and play using a UI that's only 20%-30% functional and likely causes headaches (both from viewing AND from trying to use).

This whole thing should have stayed on the Test server until it was complete and properly working. There really needs to be someone at Daybreak, above the devs, that is willing to start holding them accountable for hot messes like this because right now, it appears the inmates are running the asylum.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What problems are folks still having after the latest emergency patch? Atm I am not seeing any problems but want to know what to look out for.

I agree that what they pushed out should have fully been fixed on test. I do wonder if some of the bugs were hardware related on on the user end. Still should have been fixed first but just something I was wondering.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Which is typical for Team Darkpaw. They do work on and release stuff that the players never had asked for (UI engine, Overseer) and they do ignore things that the players do want and need since many years. (UI revamp, Class balance, merc revamp for the wizard class). The communication is also missleading. Most players did not get what the 64bit change was about and they do not get what the UI engine change is about.
  10. Shanarias Augur

I voted the only way I know how. I am not now, nor have I ever been a programmer. I am a retired tech. I will check in from time to time, but I unsubscribed until it is worth the money again.
    Mesc and KushallaFV like this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

a lot of folks using 4k displays wanted to be able to scale their UIs. So I think that was asked for. Also possibly due to the aging player base. Why Daybreak actually did a new UI I cant say though.
    minimind and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  12. Emilari UI Designer

There's some minor things (like powersource percentage bars showing up in places they shouldn't and missing where they should be, the mail icon is still acting funny in the selector window)... but the biggest one is the "White Windows" bug where the UI either isn't rendering properly, or isn't rendering at all for those few people complaining their inventory window and selector window don't show up at all - which is one of the OP's complaints.
    Shanarias likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This change is designed to make the UI more flexible and support higher resolution monitors as well as make things easier for the developers and UI makers.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Emilari like this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The biggest issue for me with the UI at the moment is the delay it has added when going back into game from being tabbed out.

I didn't realises how much I tab out to look at other stuff while I'm playing till now...

I don't think they have even acknowledged that anywhere yet. :rolleyes:
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

For what its worth I know a lot of folks skip the patcher. Some guildies had the white screen issue fixed by going out of game and patching in the emergency patch. They said that was the only thing they noticed that was fixed though.
  16. Bobokin Augur

In the long run, a new UI is a good thing. Forcing parts of it out early was a bad idea.
    Evilness, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  17. Boyboi Elder

Ok EQ, you win. I still cannot even zone since the patch without my computer completely freezing. There are bugs everywhere, it isn't even enjoyable to play.

I am unsubbing and uninstalling today, maybe I will keep an eye on these forums and see if you ever fix what you broke so I can come back.
    Evilness likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Why do you separate UI engine from UI revamp?
    Act of Valor and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  19. Cloud the Third Augur

If the current engine only allows 4 buttons A,B,C,D and all the players are wanting A,B,C,D,E,F then the current engine needs to be upgraded so the new button functionality that they want can be added. Certain core libraries stop getting supported over time so sometimes you have to upgrade the game's framework or it will stop working on everyone who doesn't still run a windows XP computer.
  20. Act of Valor The Newest Member

What are you talking about? The UI engine and revamp are the same thing. I and many others have been asking for a scalable, modern user interface for the game for a long time. A new interface engine is needed for that.