A new PvP server ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rooksmirk, May 16, 2023.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The great irony here is that it was John Smedley who was the one that wanted EQ to be a PvP game from the beginning.

That maybe shows you don't know EQ history as well as you think you do. Smedley has stated in a couple of interviews that it was Brad McQuaid who talked him out of it, and how he was right to do so because had EQ been a PvP game to start with it would never have attained the success it did.

So I am not quite sure how any "Smedley Approved Script" factors into your paranoid delusion when the man was a big fan of PvP.

I have said it hundreds of times, I like PvP, but EQ's PvP was crap to start with & only got worse, WAR did (and still does) it better, DAoC does it better, WoW did it better (most of that games PVP servers have shut), even the bastard son of Bezos, New World, does PvP better. There are dozens of okay to decent to fun PVP games out there that literally mop the floor with EQ PvP.

I'm not Anti-PvP in the slightest, I am Anti-Waste of freaking money.
    code-zero and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  2. Nolrog Augur

Plus EQ Devs have repeatedly said if you want PvP then play on Zek and prove it can be successful. The last time someone tried to prove that, by getting everyone interested to log in at a certain time, it was a complete failure.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. kenmei Augur

Skuz, we have a difference in opinion of 'fan' of PVP. Princess Bride, Andre the Giant comes to mind in regards to maybe you dont know what that word means..

-At EQ's peak, where SZ and VZ had greater populations than the majority of the game..
    he ended PVP and merged all the servers to the FFA least popular Rallos Zek. and gave us the Legends server. that's a PVP fan?

-At SWG's peak, before the first 'update' Raph told us, 'dont bring a knife to a gunfight', which under Smedley ended PVP and shortly after, the entire game. still he's a PVP fan?

-In New World, PVP was the main aspect of the alpha released game, Smedley joins and PVE is now the focus of the re-designed game by retail release. Sounds like Smedley is a HUGE fan of pvp?

not according to facts.
  4. Captain Video Augur

At EQ's peak, all of the PvP servers combined were lower pop than the lowest pop blue rules server.

SWG ran for more than seven (7) years. The ONLY reason it shut down was because Lucas took away the IP and gave it to SWTOR.

Smedley never had anything to do with New World.

Wake me up when you have any.
    Skuz, Rijacki, Koshk and 2 others like this.
  5. kenmei Augur

Capt Video..

Sullon Zek was the all time champion of server populations. We had the top population every night until Smedley shut down the server without notice. What you parrot are the same bs talking points that have been handed down for last 2 decades.

The reason SWG shut down is because they lost 4/5 of their playerbase after the first update where they nerfed all the melee classes, gutted TKM, and changed the jedi process. They may have limped for a couple years later and yet another update (now everyones a jedi!), but it was a dead game after the first update. Lucas took the IP well before the game died, because it was bleeding money at that point, and could not be fixed.

Might want to do a staff check on what job Smedley ran in New World, before calling me a liar, thanks. He's an executive in Amazon Games. During alpha 2, he was announced in game notes as a new exciting hire. You can do a simple search for new world and smedley, match the evidence vs the lies. You can say til you're blue in the face Smedley didnt work on New World, but I was testing the game, sorry. It was announced multiple times in patch notes. his body of work speaks volumes over the lies, if you're looking, but you're prolly vaxxed for the same reasons, just believe what you're told. dont do your own research, dont you dare!
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that you can accurately compare a single server ruleset versus a ruleset that is on multiple servers and spreading the population out.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Captain Video Augur

Your memory is different from not only mine, but tens of thousands of other EQ players.

You're referring to NGE, which was hardly the first update. There were three expansions. I'm not going to rehash that whole debate. Some people didn't like NGE. Others felt that NGE was necessary, because the original game was too narrowly focused on roleplay, and not the established MMO combat+raid experience. The game "limped" for more than five years after NGE. It never lost money (it was also never F2P), and gained more players than it lost from that one change. The shutdown wasn't announced until after SWTOR had a launch date.

Of all the various SWG emulators out there now, by far the most popular is SWG:Legends, which uses the NGE ruleset.

Wrong. Many layers of wrong. Amazon's gaming division is organized into four separately-managed development studios, one each in Seattle, Orange County, San Diego and Montreal. New World was, and still is, developed exclusively by the team in Orange County. Smedley, who no longer works for Amazon btw, spent his entire time with the company in San Diego. It is worth noting that during Smedley's tenure with Amazon, the San Diego studio produced a grand total of nothing.

New World has in-game credits, which are extensive; Smedley's name isn't there.
    Skuz and Koshk like this.
  8. Koshk Augur

@Captain Video
    There's a saying I'm fond of: it's impossible to argue rationally with irrational people.
    Your points are valid. Unfortunately you'll never convince the 2-3 remaining PvP zealots (who post under 20-30 different forum accounts). I applaud you for dueling with them, though.

Anyone know what this thread is all about anymore?
  9. Shakara Augur

This argument has already been shown to be a fallacy. You can't claim PvP is not worth working on when your standard for its interest is peoples interest in a bad PvP system. There is a lot of evidence that a functional PvP system would have a lot of support.
  10. Shakara Augur

You need to loosen up the tin foil hat up a bit.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If there was support for PVP we would see it on one of the official or emulated PVP servers but that isn't the case. Even events designed to show support for it don't draw in much support.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

100% hogwash

Any chance of PvP improvements in EQ is a complete non-starter because there is simply no audience for it, it is a complete & utter waste of time & money because it would benefit almost nobody.

The thing EQ PvP fans struggle with is causality, the order of things taking place.

Actions > Numbers - a tiny few PvP fans.
    Numbers > Actions - everyone else.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Loosen your own.
  14. Shakara Augur

There are no PvP fans because EQ PvP has been untouched for over 15 years. They quit they went and played other games where the PvP scene got attention. Sure there is a case to be made that PvP improvement would not benefit anyone CURRENTLY playing the game but as we know this games major problem is there is just not enough people playing it and bringing in a PvP community is beneficial for everyone. The attitude of "Don't do this cause it doesn't affect my gameplay styles" is half the reason EQ has been dying for the past 10 years.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

PVP balance has been an issue since the game launched and there is no point in wasting dev time on trying to fix it for the possibility of bringing PVP players back to the game.
  16. Shakara Augur

PvP balance is always an issue anytime there is PvP even the most successful PvP based games have balance issues. All good MMOs have a PvP scene so that points to yes it is worth it.
  17. Shakara Augur

How do people not see what's wrong with this line of reasoning. You can't say "Well no one likes our awful neglected version of PvP so no one is going to like a functional version of PvP."
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is not worth doing PVP balance in a game that it is almost non existent in when you also recognize the fact that PVE balance is also pretty broken.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How do you not see what is wrong with expecting an already small and limited dev team to spend time on an area of the game with low popularity? Sure it would be nice to do if there was a larger dev team that had more time to work on thigs. However they already have to make decisions about what gets worked on and what doesn't and that makes it very easy for them to make decisions to not work on things that have a proven record of not being popular with the player base.
  20. Shakara Augur

Oh like the expansions they push out every year? Cause every time I check people who actually play them are not super happy and there is a large chunk of the community that doesn't play them at all. and new expansions are not bringing new players to the game. I think its painful obvious what they are doing right now needs to change because they are spending dev time and losing players and money not gaining any ground.