Has there been a dev response yet...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, May 18, 2023.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Hobitses likes this.
  2. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I know this has already been touched on in this thread, but just want to emphasize that I don't think the concern is with the development team here. The concern is with the manager or leadership team in charge of development that made the decision to pull the trigger on literally "testing in production," one of the biggest no-nos in tech work.

I totally get that this isn't the kind of thing you can discuss in public forums like this, but please, please be having the right conversations with your management/leadership about how pushing known broken features from Test to Live absolutely cannot be allowed. If those conversations aren't happening internally then something is bad wrong over at Daybreak right now.
  3. Nenton Augur

I think the most disappointing part about this is that there wasn't a due date to push this Live. This isn't an expansion people paid for with a release date. This is a task Daybreak took upon themselves and put into a roadmap with a made up timeline.

The amount of people clamoring about "Where's the new UI from the roadmap!" paled in comparison to what we're seeing now from all the players impacted by pushing this unfinished feature Live. Because as someone else said, the UI impacts everyone all of the time.

I had been following the Test thread as well and was shocked when I realized the test patch last week were for parts of the new UI which they were barreling towards releasing to Live without fixing the things people had reported. Again, there was no due date. They had feedback about these problems from Test and could have/should have addressed the largest ones before pushing it onto the larger playerbase. The whole new UI isn't even ready and we're witnessing how unfriendly the new and old play together.

Just very odd to self-inflict a wound like this for seemingly no payoff.
    Windance likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That may well have been what happened but the UI should never have been sent to live in such an unfinished state, the same way as FTE should never had landed on the test server in the state it was in. Its like they write code, never test it, send it to test, and not listen to the players feedback and then push it live.

The new UI needs to be removed from Live and left on test until ALL windows are completed and ready to be ported over with the Layout converter in a work state. The old and the new UIs do not play nicely with each other!
    Elenderil likes this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Some but not all amd cards. Im not seeing it on a 6700xt
    Hobitses and CatsPaws like this.
  6. MiataDriver Augur

If only you would actually take the reports from Test seriously before pushing garbage like this on the live players. Just to be clear, I don't mean you personally, rather whoever is actually making the decisions about what to foist on the player base without bothering to listen to the feedback from the Test server.
    Hobitses and Lucentio like this.
  7. Windance Augur

I totally agree that they should have waited to roll out the UI until after the FTP launch.

On the other hand there should have been more people logging into test and well testing things.

The best quote from the text bug threads is : "[...] I am fearful of concerns from note worthy UI creators being forgotten about in all of the noise about Oakwynd and FTE." which I think there 100% on the money.
  8. Ishbu Augur

I beg people to remember that the people who choose(force) things like this UI update to go live when it clearly wasnt ready, are the not the same people who are working on it and trying to fix it.
  9. Moege Augur

Nope, Its on the devs to actually take action on things reported. Many of us has learnt the lesson that reports gets ignored. Many years beta/test experience taught me that. You do not get to shift the blame onto players.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What is the point when they do NOTHING about issues that are reported.

I wanted to make sure I was ready for the UI coming over, I got no response from any dev about .net being needed for the converter. I have no clue on UI stuff so my input was never going to be great. But as an unknowing player, I'm possibly ideal because if I can't do it half the EQ population probably cant do it!

A UI change wasn't pushed to test a couple of days before live patch, so any change in that wasn't even tested.
    Lucentio and Cadman like this.
  11. Windance Augur

There were two fairly critical bugs that no one caught on test:

#1 - The white textures on the AMD GPUs
    #2 - The lack of DLL's

The other issues do squarely rest on management/developers for pushing the UI early.
    klanderso likes this.
  12. Elenderil Lorekeeper

The smartest idea I have read on this post is to roll back the UI changes on everything except Test. Then sort the issues out before rolling it back out. So how about it Devs, is that feasible, easy to do and being considered?
    Tyranthraxus, Lucentio and Balm like this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

I think part of the issue is that most of the conversation is happening on Discord, and not on the forums. Not all of us that test stuff use Discord. And even for those that do use Discord, we limit ourselves to #pets-of-norrath or some other non-related channel because of how toxic other channels are.

Speaking of Discord, I can understand frustration and such in wanting to reply or report things, but if you go in with all pistons firing, you are liable to not get your point across or worse, banned, then we have this happen. Keep trying to keep a level head throughout the process, and we may see better results.

And yes, we do need more people on test testing things out so that it doesn't seem like a small group of people yelling at them to get things fixed, but rather a whole community explaining why things need to be fixed.
    Hobitses and Windance like this.
  14. Windance Augur

I have to admit I gave up on the EQ discord after less then a week. The signal to noise ratio there was extremely low.
    Hobitses, Koshk and dreadlord like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

You can also add the alt tab issue going from full screen character to window character and vice versa.

White texture is annoying, hut won't potentially wipe your alt tab box group because you had 5-7 seconds to react to an in game situation whereas before you had 1 second...
  16. jeskola pheerie

I haven't logged in since the patch, why bother, gonna wait till next hotfix
  17. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Their forums are official, their Discord server is official. If they are going to solicit feedback on both, there is no reason we should not expect them to listen and respond on both. If they use an account identifying them as a Darkpaw employee on any Discord server, it is silly to think that is not official.

They even have dedicated community managers to route communication through.

Something as experience defining as revamping the UI really should have its own section on the forums and in Discord. Especially since they are choosing to run the old and new side by side over such a long period of time. What Darkpaw knows is not working and any known workarounds should be stickied for everyone to reference as long as they plan to continue the "shooting from the hip" style of rolling this major change out.
    Windance likes this.
  18. Peter_The_great Elder

Can we get a role-back patch, please!

Hire some guys from Microsoft Team, they seem to be able to do the coding great, look at Forza.

Or even the ones behind Doom-serie, superb coding.

Call Sony, they who own DB and demand some wind in the sail.
  19. Emilari UI Designer

Sony doesn't own Daybreak... Enad Global 7 (EG7) owns Daybreak.
    Hobitses and Nennius like this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They sold Everquest and the rest of the games back in 2015.
    Nennius likes this.