Personal Instances for Dungeons with respawns would have solved everything you wanted FTE to do

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Angered Ogre, May 18, 2023.

1. Angered Ogre New Member

Just throwing this out..... What if each starting city had a Agent of Adventure! This agent offers Personal instances of dungeons to players with mobs that respawn! Raid targets will never spawn in your "adventure" so you can pop SOL B and farm fire giants with no dragon or get some gebs...... or put them outside each dungeon i said in starting towns just to make life easy! so for classic

Sol A
    Sol B
    Guk
    LGUK
    Hole
    OOT

Permafrost ?
    Runneye ?
    Black burrow ?
    CrushBone?
    Befallen?
    Unrest
    Kedge
    West Karana ?
    East Karana?
    North Karana?
    HighPass
    Highkeep

I mean most of those zones prob do not need a personal instance because why? People who do hunt in the zones marked out would do it because of nostalgia which is fine but may not warrant a personal instance!

You do not have to worry about KSing! You do not have to worry about camps being locked down! also do not limit the instance to just 6 people! You want out of group help! You want AFK power leveling pushing each other who can get you the most AA/EXP for your Krono!!!

This literally solves every issue you were trying to solve? make the server FV as well! Everyone could level where they want and farm what they want you would have literal peace in the land which i guess you thought FTE was going to do?
  2. Kraked Augur

Thought I was having a seizure reading this.
    Then I realized I was color blind and those are actually colors.

Having starter cities with AoCs is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard, do you know the amount of stress that would put on the DBG servers?
    We already have issues spinning up a new TLP, could you imagine a starter city being spawned 500+ times on launch?
    FippyDarkpaw99 likes this.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This has been suggested literally hundreds of times. The answer hasn't changed. An infinite number of instances spawned on demand that are intended to stay up for hours at a time is bad for server stability and latency. You can already see some of this effect in primetime raid instances in modern EQ raids.

EQ does not have the robust hardware infrastructure needed to support this. Maybe someday in the future!
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've suggested something similar myself in the past but I realised it was a bad idea after why was explained to me.

Personal instances of Dungeons is too resource intensive, spinning up hundreds of <insert zone here> with all the scripting in some of them would badly hamstring server performance in a game that needs to make every effort to not do exactly that.

I am not a fan of FTE but it doesn't come with the level of server demand your suggestion would, and really the last thing the early game of EQ needs is removal of that sense of a populated server so much instancing would destroy by making the open world vastly more empty.
    Doze and KobalWR like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

People flipping the anniversary instances on live servers show the issues with having the ability to request many personal instances.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Domniatric Augur

Just lowering the required # of players to spawn a pick would probably be a better solution. Although, it would also require more resources, it wouldn't be as much as this personal dungeon idea.
  7. Chuuk Augur

I think doing this on demand and for free would be hugely problematic.

But, as just about every single "idea" on these forums has been or is being tried on an emul8ted server already, it actually is a cool idea when you incorporate a cost + lockouts.

I suspect one could quibble over the amount, but having some "Agent of Dungeon Spawning" that could spin you up an instance of a dungeon for a cost is a cool idea. You give the guy 500pp, or whatever, and your group gets access to the instanced dungeon (with repops) for like 5 hours. Then you get a 6-day lockout from that dungeon.

But that works on an server with like a hundred people...on a TLP with thousands...not so sure.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They made changes to force picks to close which suggests that they want to limit how many get opened.
  9. Iyacc Augur

A server with only a small amount of people don't have the issue that this solves and wouldn't need this.
  10. Domniatric Augur

I assume that the closing of picks is a necessity regardless of what you set the new pick player # too.

Otherwise you would/could run into a scenario where tons of picks stayed open while main pick spawned more.
  11. Critt Augur

you don't even need personal instances, they could have achieved everything they wanted by doing a personal loot system that anyone doing damage to a mob gets their own loot table and making trivial mobs drop nothing. You don't solve bad behavior with mechanics that don't remove the primary reason for those bad behaviors you do it by removing the motivation.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Triconx Augur

So anyone can just stroll over, pop the mob once, and get rewarded with a loot chest? Sounds unbelievably dumb. Why not just give a fully geared character and save time?

You'd kill raiding as motivation since the need to chase loot goes way down. Keeping guild numbers good is already difficult near the tail end, this would exacerbate it.

You kill grouping past basic xp grinding because you can just stand around in someone's camp and hit the named once and move on.

People cry EQ social aspects die later in the game. You want to not only kill it, but continue curb stomping it into a pulp well after it dies.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is assuming that you get the loot each time you kill the mob, personal loot could be setup so that on average it awards the same or slightly more loot then if it just goes to the person/group/raid that kills it.
  14. Triconx Augur

That doesnt make sense. Raid events dropping 3-6 items in early expansions are going to give... 0.1 items per person? Even if personal loot is just 1 item per, thats 30-72 items per event depending on raid size.

And how will that work with raids that have multiple hidden loot tables like Vulak and nornally drops 1 item per table? What about aug events that normally drop 1 aug? Everyone gets an aug? Everyone gets their 2.0 globe after a single raid? Spells?
  15. Critt Augur

So full of hyperbole... plenty of people raid in games like WOW and FFXIV and they use personal loot... You can't argue that the motivation for KS'ing is the loot remove that motivation and you lose the bad behavior... As far as your first part of your post umm not even close to the same as giving fully geared characters.
  16. Wtfagain Elder

Honestly why even make people level or get loot. Just start everyone at Max with a vendor you can buy any gear in the game from fit 1c. That would eliminate tickets and make everyone in the MMORPG even. We can all stand around talking about how awesome we are.
  17. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Keep in mind you're arguing with a person that's on their 4th forum account.
  18. Triconx Augur

WoW is a heaping pile of dirty diapers.

How will personal loot work for you? You didnt bother explaining anything, just talked nonsense. As I asked, literally anyone to do 1 point of damage? So people stand around waiting for a named, pop it once and wait til it dies? If not, how does it solve KSing you still need to beat the group to get your personal loot?

How about you explain rather than post gibberish?
  19. Triconx Augur

Are you keeping track of me or something? Its cute you admire me so much.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because they do personal loot doesn't mean that everyone or even half the raid needs to get an item. The drops can be adjusted to ensure that the about the same amount of drops get awarded each kill with the possibility of getting more or less. Besides the way I read this suggestion is that it is more for group targets and not raid targets.