Has there been a dev response yet...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, May 18, 2023.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

...about the UI issues? I haven't seen one here but I don't know about Discord. I would assume that the devs are aware of the issue(s) and that they would want to convey a sense of urgency on this. So...
    Hobitses and Fenthen like this.
  2. TheStugots Augur

They were aware before it went live. That should answer just about everything.
    Hobitses, Bobokin, Barton and 3 others like this.
  3. Herf Augur

Radio Silence. Run silent, run deep.

Though to be fair, the decision to release this dungball must lie with the producers.
  4. Leex Pewpewer

They are likely trying to avoid making any comment until they have a plan of attack, which does make sense.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. alanus Augur

It'd be nice to say they are aware of it and working on a solution though
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Klanderso has responses around this on Discord. I won't copy/paste it as the context of the responses is important. I do not find any of them reassuring.

Definitely look it up if you want more disappointment around the issue. :(
  7. TheStugots Augur

Are you new around here? First time being here when something like this has happened? Based on the track record of communication, this is standard.
  8. Koshk Augur

lol, good one Nennius.
  9. niente Developer

Hi,

We are aware of the issues with the UI and working as best we can to fix them as soon as possible. I do apologize for the quality of the new UI engine and have been reading a lot of the feedback. I understand very well that messing with the UI can and will cause people to quit playing the game. I guess I'm just trying to say that I take your feedback very seriously, even if it doesn't feel that way, your response(s) are taken into consideration when we make decisions about things like this. We appreciate your patience as we work things out and please understand that no one on the development team wants to make players miserable, or is happy/apathetic about releasing a feature with bugs in it. I know if we don't say things it feels like no one is listening, but I promise that isn't the case.

Thanks
  10. Koshk Augur

Thank you, Niente. Yes, it does sometimes feel this way. A few regular updates/conversations can make a huge difference. Even if you don't have anything new/interesting to report? That's fine; just hearing that is helpful.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

They aren't working because I bolded the domain names. You should not need to click those links as they are only there for illustration.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Balm Apprentice

Just not seriously enough to listen to the people on the Test server that told you months ago about the problems, said specifically not to release the UI because it wasn't ready, and you did it anyway?

I created a toon on Test specifically because of the UI changes, gave feedback about the various problems with the new windows, and now I feel like it was a complete waste of time.

I don't want to be "that guy", but I have cancelled two accounts over this. If DB are not going respect their customers, I am more than happy to vote with my wallet.
    Hobitses, Fenthen, Mesc and 5 others like this.
  13. Herf Augur

I feel for Niente. I can't know the situation here, but having worked briefly at a couple game companies, the devs usually don't control when things release. Neither do the customer facing staff. The ones who determine when and what features ship are the producers and directors, who almost never have to directly deal with irate customers :(
    Hobitses, Ozon, Tarvas and 9 others like this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Thank you. I am not a dev. or a coder (my programming knowledge is still stuck in 1982) but I did work as a locksmith and safe technician and caught flak regularly from folks when things weren't designed quite right or had been badly installed by others. Point being that I understand your frustration in that you weren't the individual to say "release it", but now you get to help pick up the pieces and try to bring order out of chaos.

Next question (which you may not be able to answer): Is there even a rough ETA on a patch?
    minimind, Yinla and Fanra like this.
  15. Windance Augur

To be fair.

The only real "bug" I've seen posted is the white texture on AMD video cards.

The other issues about the layer, docking, etc. were posted before the code was pushed to the live servers.

The EQ community has posted work arounds to continue to use the old inventory window.

If you are still having problems, I would suggest setting up a custom UI and seeing if that works for you.

At the end of the day there is only so much anyone is able to do. The best thing we can do is offer constructive feedback to help document edge cases. Flaming the developers doesn't help them solve issues.
  16. Klucifer Journeyman

Niente, while I can understand having deadlines placed upon you from above and having to meet them with the best product available, I think I’d like to give a similar response as I gave to Meeko in discord. The UI is something that is in front of your customer 100% of the time. They interact with the UI throughout their entire game play experience. The issues present in the UI were identified when it was first launched on the Test Server.

It’s clear that questions weren’t posed to those on the Test Server about their quality of interaction with the UI. There was not a noticeable consumer feedback system in place (same trend with the Encounter Locking System) to identify issues and run them down. Case in point: the UI doesn’t flicker when you alt+b to open all your bags. Klanderso writes yesterday, “ the fact that opening all bags at once (shift-B) doesn't flicker, but the right-click does, is a new lead and I'm taking a look into it“ but any given player who has spent time playing EverQuest could have given this feedback a long time ago. Less than 24-hours later Klanderso writes, “i maaaaay have a fix for it, but it needs to be thoroughly tested”

That to me shows a team hard at work that wasn’t given appropriate mechanisms for receiving feedback from the customer base. The fact that less than 24-hours later there is a working hypothesis and a lead is being chased is awesome! That 24-hours could have happened months ago if appropriate feedback was sought. The dev team just needs the resources to be able to give information and feedback to the people forcing these things on the team.
    Hobitses, Silvena and PathToEternity like this.
  17. Angahran Augur

Simple. Roll the entire thing back until they can actually make something that works.
    Ssdar and Balm like this.
  18. Angahran Augur

Here's an idea. Roll the 'new and improved' UI back and work on it until you can run the 'default' UI through the LayoutConverter and get a fully working newDefault out with no errors or warnings.
    Windance likes this.
  19. Marton Augur

To this day I have white inventory window, can't parcel, can't shop. Unable to revert to old one (default UI).

This is not some freebie game that 2 guys in a garage put together; we pay for this crap.
    Lucentio and Elenderil like this.
  20. Windance Augur

I expect the UI development got pushed to the back burner for the FTE code.

There is only so much code you can write/debug per release cycle and based on the changes they have made its clear that FTE is where the bulk of the developer time has been focused.

Does it suck for those who couldn't get things working, sure.
    Does it make you all feel better to flame the developers, yes!
    Does it help get things fixed. No.
    Metanis likes this.