A new PvP server ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rooksmirk, May 16, 2023.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

about 4,000 likes worth of

THIS
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I have characters on Zek. I play there, but dislike wall hacks and script kids so don't log in there much anymore. It would be better if this noise was disallowed, but as we see with Pot use. The "legality" of something doesn't prevent it's use, only enforcement does that. Without enforcement, it becoms defacto legal and evantually, just legal.

The post below this is why Zek's population will never rise.

/em tosses in something about class balance and roles noone wants to play PvP
    Shenanigans and code-zero like this.
  3. Domniatric Augur

I think idealistic people have it in their head that a PvP server would result in epic battles and duels pitting players against one another with the player with the most skill prevailing as victor....You know what I think a PvP server would be...hacking, exploiting, and mass boxing with the explicit goal of griefers shoving a red hot iron rod up your rear end so fast that you'd be at a loading screen before you knew what hit you.
    Skuz, Koshk, code-zero and 1 other person like this.
  4. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

With that said, the server would be dead in less than a month or sooner.
    Skuz and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  5. jeskola pheerie

Your conclusion is incorrect.
    Skuz, Koshk and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I read, I laughed. I liked.
    Skuz, Shenanigans and jeskola like this.
  7. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Strange, i had a feeling people were already "hacking, exploiting, and mass boxing with the explicit goal of griefers shoving a red hot iron rod up your rear " reading all the complaints about FTE rule, saying it would be basis for more griefing ...
    Yes that people play on a pvp server to kill other players and have a blast at it, is the purpose. But Frankly some and most are very nice players ( and very skilled too) that create toons on those server. The world isn't just black or white you know ...
  8. Rooksmirk Journeyman

And yet you made characters on a pvp server... You used plural. If the mechanics annoyed you , that s what my original post is all about. The devs need to reconsider the problems.
  9. Koshk Augur

If only Ixvl was hanging around, I'm sure he'd gladly have something to add to this topic...
  10. Lawyer Augur

24/7 PVP? Not going to work for EQ.
    Maybe have PVP turn on randomly for an hour. Or for a day a week. Or rotate across zones in some random way.
    But 24/7? Nah. Not enough balance. Too much cheating.
  11. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Again, i am not asking for a new server without major changes such as class balance.

But you mentionned cheating and i haven't comment on that and i should of. Because that is an important issue to be fixed.

On vallon Zek, a bunch of skilled pvp players realized that there was away they could rule the server through cross teaming. They made a guild of pvp players of different races and united to kill the others.
    Cross teaming became a thing and was a pain because it was nearly impossible to beat.
    For example, an elf player would engage or defend against a player of another race. That other guy/girl would be helped by another elf who would heal the other race player. A traitor to his own race. The first elf can't interact with another elf unless for beneficial spells, so he couldn't prevent what was called immortal heals. Needless to say that guild soon ruled.
    It had consequences, another guild was created to fight them, claiming to be more honorable than the other. Cross teaming was considered lame and hatefull , and surely by many as cheating, yet it prevailed.
    Anyway, such a possibility should be taken into account by the developpers.
  12. kenmei Augur

If you gonna talk team pvp in EQ, Sullon Zek rules were far superior to Vallons, and made more sense lore-wise. It was the most populated server while it existed. I'm damn sure it's still available to be brought back online, there was way too much code to just abandon in that sole server.
    Also when it comes to pvp discussion, if you dont have Waring and Skuz on ignore, you will have wasted a couple afternoons talkin in circles with them and they will still stick their smedley-approved scripts like they were paid monkeys.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well done, you did the very thing I predicted you would.

Nothing will happen until enough players actually show up to be counted, and 99.9% of the forum posters who ask for a PvP TLP are not interested in making that happen, they want someone else to do it, even though there is nobody to do that, if you can't help yourselves then why should anyone else?.

That serious discussion has been going on for years. Every idea that you can think of has probably already been thought of by someone else but that's not what matters, a lack of ideas is not the problem, a lack of people who want to play on a PvP TLP is.

There are maybe 25-50 people who still passionately post on the forums that they want a PvP TLP, your enduring passion for PvP is admirable but you may as well all be pissing into the wind for all the good it does.

The delusion continues.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Class balance?
    Ngreth has gone on the record that PvP balance is not even on the table.

Put another way: on the EQ Developer "to do list" PvP is nowhere to be found.

Nobody cares about PvP except the tiny few PvP fans remaining. It is not worth the devs time to do anything for that tiny number of players, if those few remaining players shuffled off then nobody would even miss them.

If you want to know how important PvP is to EQ here's how you can find out:

Fill a bucket with water, put your finger in all the way up to the knuckle, now get ready & be really observant, when you pull your finger out look at the size of the large hole that your finger left behind, that hole has the same volume of importance as all of the PvP in EQ today.
    Lawyer likes this.
  15. PriestofDiscord Journeyman

The PvP thread shows up here from time to time, but honestly, the PVP ship in this game has sailed off into the sunset a hell of a long time ago.

I know people have memories of the old PvP servers, but 20 years on that's just a dream. Its never happening for about a million reasons and we all know it.

This thread will fade away into the pages like all of the others, and IMO no PvP server will ever be released again for this game.

I'd say its time to move on, but unfortunately we've already passed that point over a decade ago.
    Koshk and Skuz like this.
  16. Rooksmirk Journeyman

You are obviously into forum post pvp, aren't you . It s not because you don't care that nobody does. If the topic keeps coming back, that means there is a steady demand for it whatever you may like it or not. Your obnoxious comments won't change that .
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because people are willing to spend the small amount of time to make a post about it doesn't mean that they are willing to spend the time (or money) of playing on an actual PvP server.
  18. Numiko Augur

Really every EQ server has PvP available to anyone, without even going red.

Every home town had an Arena area with PvP enabled, and there is an entire zone dedicated to open PvP.. if you want to fight other players on a blue server just hang out in those spots!
    Rijacki, Skuz and code-zero like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The EQ PvP TLP "Community" is the equivalent of a 3 man Mariachi band playing as loudly as they possibly can in the deserted car park of a football stadium that was closed in 1973 and left derelict.
    Every so often a few late-night stragglers will reliably wander by to yell at them to shut up because everyone already left years ago & they are never coming back.
    And they play at the same time, same place, every week, because somewhere out there someone may be listening, despite all evidence to the contrary, and when they hear, they will bring that stadium back to life.
    Koshk and code-zero like this.
  20. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Thou speakest the truth !
    SnapVine likes this.