Fixed Internally UI - Default UI Text Blinks when opening bags

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Tendain, May 17, 2023.

1. Arial New Member

I wish the flickering was just happening for bags for me. I get flickers any time I click ANYTHING with my mouse. Spell gems, the tabs on the mercenary window, chat windows, seems like ANY UI element. If I pick up a bag on my mouse cursor to move it, the moment I move it off of the character window and into the world, it flickers like mad every time I move the mouse. I've moved some UI elements to different places on the screen from the default starting UI, but I don't use any custom UI files.
    Eteract and dreadlord like this.
  2. Arial New Member

Ok, so I did some experimenting and figured out a possible workaround if you are seeing constant flickering on any mouse click, etc. I've had 2.0 pixel shaders turned off for awhile because of this bug. When I turned 2.0 pixel shaders back on, it stopped all of the flickering except for the bags issue that everyone is mentioning.

You can then turn the shaders back off again immediately if you want and still no constant flickering except the bags. You can switch characters, etc. However, if you restart EQ entirely, the problem comes back and you have to toggle 2.0 shaders again, but this at least lets you play a session with the 2.0 shaders off and less flickering.
  3. Drakang Augur

Does not seem to help in my case. Given there are people that can't log in due to missing graphics DLLs sounds like they hosed up the interaction with alot of graphics cards.
  4. Arial New Member

Yeah, missing DLLs sounds like a whole other can of worms as I haven't had that problem. Seems like there are a bunch of different issues going on. :(
  5. Drakang Augur

Hmm I need to dig through my settings. I loaded up a second account on the same machine and it does not have the flickering but my main account does. Both use the same UI and look to have the same settings lol.
  6. Zeelot Elder

If you figure this out would love to know! Can't figure out the fix to the flickering at all. Seems that default doesn't have the issue.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

By flickering, do you mean how it blinks once when you open a bag?
  8. Zeelot Elder

This is the flickering:

9. Cloud the Third Augur

10. Herf Augur

/epileptic.
    Eteract likes this.
  11. Moege Augur

Try closing the bag with powersources in to, would even go so far as dumping all of them in dragons hoard. Seems to me the green bar on them is causing problems
  12. Zeelot Elder

Unfortunately nothing seems to get rid of the flickering. Even when the bags are closed, any hot buttons I have for an item with a quantity or number of charges is flickering. Also, the red cool down timer on item hot buttons also flickers.
    Eteract likes this.
  13. Klucifer Lorekeeper

Yesterday on the EverQuest official discord Meeko said, “ The "flicker" is text on non-converted windows disappearing for one frame. So if you make that one frame duration longer by reducing your FPS, it'll be more noticeable.” And I posed the question, “ Sooooooo, we were okay with pushing it to live like that? Like was this focus grouped or assessed at all? Did the devs ask the test community how it impacted their play before pushing it out to the rest of the player base?”

I increased my FPS and no changes. I had a very difficult time playing with the flickering and the font discrepancies. I feel like there needs to be something done.
    Eteract and dreadlord like this.
  14. Drakang Augur

I loaded up three different accounts. Same computer, same custom UI. One of the three has the flicker the other two do not. Closed out. Replaced the UI files for the one with flicker with ones from a character that does not. No change. Load in a different order same thing. Loaded a different character on the same account copied layout. Loaded same UI. No flicker.

What the hell. Can't figure out what is unique to that character other than it being the first one I logged in after the patch.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Zeelot Elder

I find the same thing. My alts don't have flicker unless I open a certain amount of bags, then it starts flickering on them too. But my main has the flicker regardless of bags open or closed.
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

The source of the flickering I believe is any new UI element that uses dispatch="InvSlots". The dispatch="SelectorWindow" actions don't seem to cause any flickering which leads me to believe there is some kind of issue in the InvSlots dispatcher. Anyone who can roll back the UI using the copy 4 old window UI files into a folder and load it avoid using this InvSlots dispatcher since it is only on the new UI elements. What this dispatcher is doing only a dev can say!
  17. Hamshire Augur

Go to remove an aug, nothing happens, zone, relog, ask in general wtf is happening.....popup if are you sure if you wanna remove the aug window was behind my inventory window the whole time.

Go to loot a item from a raid chest, nothing happens, zone, relog, ask in general wtf is happening......popup if are you sure you wanna loot that item was behind my inventory window the whole time.

Go to spend raid currency, nothing happens, zone, relog, ask in general wtf is happening.....popup if are you sure you wanna do that was behind my inventory window the whole time.

[IMG]
    Eteract and Yinla like this.
  18. MiataDriver Augur

Thank you, this fixed it for me, no flickering even on opening bags after doing this. Now on to fixing my custom window selector.

19. Zeelot Elder

I found a solution to the flickering items problem, for anyone else with the same issue. The culprit for me was the EQUI_BigBankWnd. I deleted this and the flicker stops. So it looks like the big bank windows with all bags open can't really be used anymore.

The bug seems to be associated with too many bags being open. After deleting the big bank and resolving the issue, I opened all my bags and then a number of bags in my bank, and at around 15 bags open it starts flickering.
    Ssdar and Moege like this.
  20. Moege Augur

This fixed it for me, dislike that I cannot see all my bags in the bank but well can at least play without headache.