Inventory Window

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cloud the Third, May 17, 2023.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

How did this get past test server? The inventory window is always on top and can't go behind any other window so when you open up a merchant it now hides the merchant window and requires you to close it. Also opening up find from the inventory menu keeps the inventory window on top meaning you can't see what you are trying to find... bags also are always hidden behind the inventory window but at least I have all the bag slots in a hotkey window so opening them without opening inventory window is fine... but how and why is this window always on top???
    [IMG]
  2. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Because anything in the New UI renders on the top layer; it will naturally be resolved as the other windows get converted.

Making New and Old UI layers properly mesh would be way too much work for a temporary situation, as well as making performance worse.
    Emilari likes this.
  3. Riou EQResource

This is one of the reasons why it should have never been pushed live until it was completed
  4. Balm Apprentice

Then do that on the Test server, and push it when it's ready to go Live.
    Shenanigans and Igorath-Bertox like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Then why push it live until it is complete?
  6. Cloud the Third Augur

That explains alot the windows selector and inventory windows overlap normally but the old windows don't. This is massively annoying for actions that open inventory and another window at the same time (like merchants) because it used to always open the inventory window behind the merchant but now it is showing on the top blocking it from being seen. Same with opening a ton of windows from the inventory because they are all now hidden below the inventory window.

They should have made an option to turn off the new UI windows and revert them to old version until everything was finished.
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This answer folks, put away your money, we already have a winner!
    Herf, Shenanigans and Igorath-Bertox like this.
  8. Cloud the Third Augur

I was considering paying for NoS for 2 of my boxes but with this UI change that isn't going to happen now.
  9. Knifen Augur

Just hit the i button and it will close/hide your inventory while you do anything you need to do, then press i to bring it back up for now.
  10. Igorath-Bertox Elder

My $$$ came in and I was going to buy the NoS for an account I want to use for buff toons. I was about to get it, now I'm not. First purchased expansion since Gates of discord. Lol good job DayBREAK!
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Then you would be holding back every other patch that fixes bugs for months until it's done.

Splitting out code from the Test version to push a different version live would invalidate having a Test version in the first place.

You could end up having no inventory window at all, since the old code was cut and new code pasted in. Software often ships with knowns bug for this reason; when the risk of a fix breaking it worse on a short schedule.

https://blackboxofpm.com/the-time-value-of-shipping-6deaf8d7d565
  12. Cloud the Third Augur

The window is also jumping back even when I try to drag it to the edge of the window. Left side is where I drag it and then after a little while it keeps jumping back up like on the right side.

[IMG]
  13. Cloud the Third Augur

It auto opens when you do certain actions like opening a merchant window so that is no help. I don't want to have to close it everytime I need to buy a teleportation stone from the guild lobby. Normally the window closes automatically when you close the merchant window but now I have to manually close it everytime I go to buy something.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

or "just" fix it.
    Shenanigans likes this.
  15. Cloud the Third Augur

How do you fix it?
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

Ok so you are saying just deal with the annoying changes on a game you try to play for fun. I get annoyed enough at my job I play EQ for fun so maybe just go play another game until it is fixed is what you are saying.
  17. Balm Apprentice

Oh, it was tested, and ALL of these problems were reported.

Every. One. Of. Them.

It is hugely frustrating to have all our feedback ignored, *including* "Do NOT push this Live, it is not ready."
    Rijacki and Shenanigans like this.
  18. Balm Apprentice

Encounter locking is on Test, but didn't get pushed to Live.

There has been at least one patch where new UI was on Test but didn't get pushed to Live.

It is clearly entirely possible for only specific code to be pushed Live.
    Rijacki, Riou and Shenanigans like this.
  19. Cloud the Third Augur

Ahh ok so I don't like to blame devs for stuff like this. The devs likely knew about it (may have even said don't push this to live) but they aren't normally the ones that give the signoff to push something to live.

Working for a background screening company they told me to push a change to live that had security problems and I told them I would quit before I would push the code to live and they ended up siding with me and I didn't publish it.
  20. Emilari UI Designer

They do...