Head's up for the new UI

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Velisaris_MS, May 17, 2023.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

Make sure your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package is current. You can download the all in one package (which apparently covers several versions) from Microsoft.

Eventhough the servers are still down, I ran the patcher to get the patch message and found that I couldn't run the game until I updated the Visual C++ on my Windows 7 system. You'll get error messages about missing files if it's not up to date.

I hope this helps people avoid some headaches.
  2. Balm Apprentice

Also heads up, if it's still in the state it is in Test:

The new UI windows are always in front, can't put other windows on top of them
    New UI doesn't have any way to switch off the window snapping.
    New UI has fonts that are fuzzy round the edges and harder to read
    Don't expect the converter tool to work

Honestly shocked that they thought it was a good idea to push it Live :(
    Mesc, Kialya, Xyroff-cazic. and 7 others like this.
  3. Cloud the Third Augur

Hopefully when they are in prod it will automatically check and download the files. It may just be a test environment issue.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

5. Coas Lorekeeper

Also your entire UI will blink any time you open a bag, it's really neat.
    alanus, Joules_Bianchi and Fenthen like this.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Gonna get used to opening all bags instead LOL... UI doesn't do it if you open em all.
  7. Fenthen aka Rath

I have -, set to open all inventory bags, and Shift-. set to close them all.
    Shift-/ toggles bank bags open/close, so it's pretty easy to not have to open individual bags, unless the UI is glitchy from too many bag spaces at once!
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Does neat = PITA ?

I am not one of you young folk and so I need to be sure.
    Mesc likes this.
  9. Drakah UI Designer

The New UI is not and was not ready to be pushed to live. I had even mentioned it to them to please postpone it until it at least has a working ability to be able to use the "Layout Converter" program to be able to port your existing UI windows over. Having only a few windows ready does not give the flexibility to the live server to say it is ready to be used. So, expect it to blow up if it does until they work on it internally.
    Barton, Angahran, Mesc and 12 others like this.
  10. scaethach Scholar

This is a giant migraine trigger in action.
    Mesc, dreadlord, Silvena and 5 others like this.
  11. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I was on Test earlier this week and the UI always in front was the biggest PITA since it covered my open bags.

The new UI windows are also in their own default positions which might not be where you usually have them. Super annoying, too.
  12. Slasher Augur

The better question is why are you still using windows 7 :)
  13. Zaray Augur

Whoah, glad I'm not epileptic. Half of my buttons are flashing (not just opened bags).
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Grau Elder

Same error happens on Windows 10 for sure, and someone reported it on Windows 11. I didn't have a problem on Windows 11, but so far 6 different Windows 10 PCs for me have all had an error that requires installing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 - 2022 Redistributable" to fix it.
  15. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I use a custom UI so thankfully for the moment I don't have any of these issues but, if I'm not mistaken, I think even if you had backed up your everquest\default folder and renamed it to something else before you patch, and then loaded that, it will still do the flashing when you open bags and other things.

:(
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

WOW the update is bad almost not playable now. The inventory window can't be put behind another window so alot of actions that open up inventory window like buying from a merchant used to open inventory window behind the merchant window but not requires you to close the inventory window to be able to see the merchant one. Also bags will not show on top of inventory window.
    Kialya, Xyroff-cazic. and dreadlord like this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Not seeing it. Yes inventory window opens up and might be in front of something else. So move it. Almost unplayable?? It literally seems the same as it was to me.
  18. Cloud the Third Augur

I guess I am thinking more of the last few days when I was just doing tradeskills... I am glad I finally got around to finishing that off because you don't realize how much harder it is to look for stuff in your house or buy stuff from merchants for tradeskill leveling. There are alot of actions that popup inventory window and it never bothered me until now with it always being in the front.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

If you have a small screen, this might not be possible.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's not unplayable, but it's annoying as hell. A *LOT* of UI elements are always on top now.