A new PvP server ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rooksmirk, May 16, 2023.

1. BetaFTE'r New Member

Says the guy with 7k+ post. :confused:
    Rooksmirk and Maneuvre like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have never asked for a PvP TLP so no I haven't, and the server I asked for? It almost happened actually, Vaniki wasn't quite what I wanted but it had a lot of what I suggested.

I have suggested multiple ways of injecting some PvP into EQ though, and if you want an actual decent PvP game try Return of Reckoning.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Star Wars Galaxies
    You could go "covert" (i.e. not actively PvPing but still on a faction) after not engaging with anything PvP or related to the PvP factioning for a certain amount of time (15 mins?). You had to be a certain 'rank' to be able to participate both covertly and non-convertly as part of the faction.

I thought it was great and did PvP in a very casual way on rare occasions. The fact I could choose to do so and choose to not, too, was one of the things I really liked about it. You could even flip your faction with A LOT of work (which I did entirely for RP reasons in the time I was playing).
    Rooksmirk and code-zero like this.
  4. Rooksmirk Journeyman

That is a peremptory argument. I don't see why it is a BS excuse. Too many issues corrupt the pvp set rules as is or as they were.
    These issues were really annoying. For example, on Vallon Zek, just grouping PVE implied not to use aoe spells because they would trigger pvp effects. Pets would turn on party members forcing pet owners to have a pet back off button at all times. Wizards couldn't use half their spells. Ect...

Why would you want hundred of players thrilled to play with such issues. And even if so, wouldn't that mean that the players are actually happy with the rules ? Why would the devloppers change them then?

The whole rule set has to be changed to make it viable. It is true that other games have a better pvp set up, but the Everquest team could rise up to the competition with the incredible base they have already. They don't even have to make it a full pvp server. They could just add a couple zones to that effect like in City of Heroes. But i already hear the comments such as , well nobody ever goes there ...

Vallon Zek wasn't the only pvp server. There were a few more and they were full. At least for a while.
  5. Vewdue Elder

Either this or remove the Red/Blue restrictions from going Red. Being able to turn it on/off would be a step in the right direction, but I think just removing the "no interacting" between Red and Blue chars would be the better option. That way, players wouldn't have to worry about finding a PoD to switch every time they wanted to XP or PvP. These "should be" pretty easy changes they could implement. The ability to go back to Blue after being Red definitely exists, it just requires a GM to do it at the moment.

I think if they want to try and gauge demand for PvP, they at least need to give us better options to show interest. Player organized events are never going to be a good way to show interest, whether it's PvP or any other "TLP idea". The majority of players aren't going to take something like that seriously and player advertisement power is pretty low. Even DPG themselves have pretty abysmal advertisement power. They could advertise in the login screen or in one of the official updates, but even that has a pretty limited range.

Giving players a viable option to PvP on non-official PvP servers would be a good way to judge interest. It's currently not a viable option due to the extreme restrictions of not being able to group/raid/xp with players who don't want to PvP. Make that a viable alternative and we could at least get a taste of PvP with like minded folks while still being able to play/coexist with those who don't want to.
  6. code-zero Augur

And...you just proved his point...and this is why there'll likely never, ever be a PvP TLP
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Vewdue Elder

Yes, making a Zek Clone would be a terrible idea. The whole point of OP's original post was what would need to be different to actually make a PvP server successful, not are the devs going to make a PvP server. This same topic has been brought up multiple times and it always devolves into "it's not going to happen" and "the devs said (insert quote) years ago". It's ok to not be in support of PvP and make that known, but could we actually get one "on topic" thread for once?

I highly doubt they would allocate significant resources to revamp PvP, but what are some more minor changes that could be possible to create a different PvP experience? I think everyone is in agreement that doing a Zek Clone would be a complete failure, what could be different to make it more of a success?

Whether or not it will ever happen can be debated for the end of time, but if we're not at least presenting idea's, if something were to happen, it would be a failure from the start without having a serious discussion of what it would look like.
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  8. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I woke up this morning, got ready to go to a dental appointment, and while dodging traffic and low IQ drivers because of a few drops of rain, I thought to myself, "Self, old chap, what is it you're missing today?"

It bugged me, all through my time in the chair, the drive home, with the stop at the grocery store. And as I took some Tylenol for the pain that was growing as the numbing subsided and kicked up the foot rest of my recliner, it was still a question at the forefront of my mind.

Now I know what I was missing. ANOTHER post requesting a PVP TLP server.
    Skuz, Koshk and Ulrin like this.
  9. Rooksmirk Journeyman

Thanks for this awsome and relevant contribution to the topic.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Thanks for supplying the missing thing from my day.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have to keep the restrictions in place otherwise it would be too easy to exploit a blue healer/buffer to help someone who is doing pvp.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Trox2010 Augur

There have been a lot more people asking for PvP than there was for Encounter Locking/FTE, and yet here we are, so the PvP crowd may as well keep asking.

Plus I believe the Devs that said show a populated Zek server has all left, so that may not apply anymore.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that it was a single dev who was behind the desire to have a demand for PvP shown before they would consider a PVP TLP server and them leaving won't change that. And of course there are more people asking for PVP then FTE because as far as I am aware no one was thinking about such a system for Everquest (or at least talking about it) before it was announced.

In reality it is unlikely that the devs are the ones making the decisions on what rulesets the TLP servers should have. They likely have some input on it but they are not the ones making the call.
  14. Trox2010 Augur

There actually was 1 guy asking for FTE prior to the announcement.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

and to address the wall hacking rogues using warez.

and to actually PvP balance classes

for the 22 EQ players still willing to EQ PvP
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

17. Zrender Augur

I'd probably try it but to be honest I don't think it would last more than a month. I'm not even sure how it got popular in WoW and that game is far more pvp balanced. Probably some influencer started that trend and it just stuck. Generally I think battle royale or moba games are a lot more fun for pvp but with a ton of balancing something in EQ like the wow battlegrounds and arenas could be fun too. I could see arenas and battlegrounds in EQ, as long as the groups were either premade or automatically semi-balanced, but not so much 1 on 1 pvp against random other classes, that's pretty much already proven not to work.
  18. Moak The Most High

If they make a new PVP server, i would want something like the Tallon/ Vallon zek rules. I started playing way back when on Tallon Zek. When they merged the servers and destroyed this rulesets I quit EQ alltogether because of that- I came back in like 2010 or thereabouts. Bring back the team PVP!
  19. code-zero Augur

Here's the thing, the devs didn't even say that anyone needs to really play and pvp on Zek, just that they need to log on there regularly enough for the population to bump consistently. So players constantly come up with ideas that are NOT just log on Zek regularly but "have an event" or "go red on a new TLP" and the terrible thing is that they can't even get a decent number to do those things.

There's likely to never be a PvP TLP for the simple reason that the self professed fans can't take directions
    Skuz likes this.
  20. birdsong_pawn Augur

PVP doesn't work in a game that tacitly allows the use of 3rd party software.
    Koshk and Joules_Bianchi like this.