Video glitches in game after cloning old HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Aludari, May 7, 2023.

1. Aludari New Member

Hoping some of you smart people here can help me figure this out. Been running EQ forever with never a problem. I don't even ever get any random crashed like others do. I decided to clone my old HDD to an SDD (same size drive) and since doing so I been getting graphics glitches in the game after about 5-10 mins of playing. It only happens if I have EQ in the active window. I have a dual monitor setup and even if I have EQ in the foreground on one monitor, if the other monitor has the current active window it doesn't happen. But if i switch back to EQ as the active window then it does. Can't figure it out for the life of me why a straight up clone would cause this. I changed no other HW.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

I do not get what you mean with having EQ in the active window. Maybe you do mean that it is the active window ? The cloning process should not be the problem but the integration and the hardware itself. You can just copy EQ from the HDD to the SSD manually. Installing EQ does not write other data into the registry or somewhere else but the patcher or Windows 10/11 does create additional files in the following folders:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Daybreak Game Company
    C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Daybreak Game Company

The graphic problems can occur because of overheating hardware or memory and disc space issues. The SSD could be even defect. SSDs do need reserved extra disc space for over-provisioning and other stuff so make sure that the SSD has enough free disc space. You should also make use of the TRIM, over-provisioning, diagnostic scan, and performance optimization options but never defragmentize it.