Overseer: Pay to Fail

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Imukai, May 16, 2023.

1. Imukai Augur

This is anecdotal since I am one person, but I can say this:

Every failure (every failure) I have experienced with Overseer Quests are when I pay to finish them early. If I let them run their course they are always a Success.

The pay window reads: "Finishing an Overseer Quest does not change its success chance or guarantee success."

This is a fine statement that I agree with - paying shouldn't influence success. But why then is that the only way to fail? And if that is intentional -- which i can only presume it is after being aged so long -- why are you punishing me for giving you money?
    Xyza and itzagame_m8s like this.
  2. code-zero Augur

The RNG has been unkind to you
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. phattoni Augur

they seem to punish for spending money, i have never had a failure in overseer till i started paying for completions, then it seems 1in10-15 are a failure.

not sure what causes this, but if its RNG it needs to be removed. i doubt its RNG, i have never failed overseer till i started paying for them.

i petitioned about it and they claimed RNG, but its funny that someone else would post with the same findings.

should also be noted that my failed missions had a 90%+ success rate when i started them, upon paying for completion they failed.

this is bad when you pay for a 24 hour missions completion just to have it fail with a 91% success rating. not to mention the amount of money it takes to complete 24 hour missions via paying.
    dreadlord and itzagame_m8s like this.
  4. Bernel Augur

It seems like the real bug is that missions rarely fail if they are allowed to complete. It's not a bug that paying to complete fails 1/10 or 1/15 times. That seems to correlate to the success percent when starting the mission. If the chance of success is 90%, then a 10% failure rate would be expected. But as everyone has noticed, missions that run to completion don't fail all that often. A mission with a 90% success rate seems to succeed way more than 90% of the time. It's not that we are all lucky when running our Overseer quests. It's that there is some bug which is incorrectly calculating the failure percentage for quests which run to completion. Perhaps rather than calculating the 10% failure rate, it's off by a factor of 10 and is just a 1% failure rate. I suspect if they fixed this "bug", what would happen is that quests which ran to completion would start failing more frequently and be consistent with the actual failure percent for the quest. Then quests which ran to completion or were paid to complete would fail at the same, higher rate.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. niente Developer

If you let us know (or send me a PM) your character name and server name where you are seeing increased fails due to using "Finish Now," I can check for you. In the past times we've looked at this, the success chance is being logged as the same chance it should normally be.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  6. Brickhaus Augur

First rule about Overseer failure rate is...

...we do not talk about Overseer failure rate.

Damn.

I can tell you that my OCD about lining up Overseer quest finishing times every 12 hours has led me to complete many, many tasks over the years (almost all ~30m to go or less). And the failure rate has not been any worse than if I had allowed the quests to complete normally.
    Graag Baash likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

The problem isn't when you're finishing tasks a few min early to keep on a rotation (I do it too :D). I very rarely see a failure when I do that.

The problem is when you start an OS task and immediately pay to finish it. It'll fail practically every time. There's no way in hell that the normal success/failure rate applies in this instance.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  8. Trebla7th Augur

Do overseer quests ever fail when allowed to complete? Only had Overseer for a few months on Aradune, but I've been running 10 missions a day pretty much every single day with very few misses... I have never seen an Overseer mission fail.

I had assumed at this point that the "success chance" was more related to Critical chance (but didn't seem to line up). Perhaps the bug is that Overseer quests never fail?
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yeah, they can fail, but it's really rare. I can count on one hand how many failures (including critical failures) I have in any given month, running them every day across 3 accounts. As long as the success rate is 80% or higher, it's almost a given that it'll succeed. When the success rate is sub 80%, that's when I've seen more failures than normal.

And yeah, I've read that they've jacked with the OS code so much that success/failure is screwed up and is pretty much irrelevant at this point. The only time it really comes into play is when you try to finish early by paying. From my own experience, as long as the task is at least halfway done, it'll have a normal chance of failure. It's when you finish really, really early that the high failure rate seems to kick in.
    itzagame_m8s likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I have used finish now, maybe 8-9 times since Overser started, all but two times it failed. i never use finish now anymore because, despite any assurances from devs, it fails a LOT. (Like gate AA)

I had zero fails on 6 accounts worth of characters across multiple servers, but pay to fail sits around 70% so far to me.

That's one hella "statistical outlier"
    itzagame_m8s likes this.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

even touch ups, getting timers done 30 min earlier to keep timers in an "I'm awake" framework yielded persistent fails. I added "finish now" to my hard limit list.

No,

just no.

Go develop Everquest, not these mini games pls.
    itzagame_m8s likes this.
  12. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

Paying to finish early?
    you chose poorly..:D
  13. rahzel44 Journeyman

Not gonna lie, if I paid DB coins to finish and it failed, I'd never use DB coins on that garbage again. What a stupid system.
    itzagame_m8s and Shenanigans like this.
  14. Shenanigans Journeyman

and exactly what I did.

nope, never spending a nickel on OS even of freebie 500 /Mo DBC with all access. Pay to be insulted, then told by devs it doesn't happen, which is, also insulting to our intelligence.
    itzagame_m8s likes this.
  15. Alouen New Member

Just my two cents but I have never paid to complete an overseer quest early but I have had more than a few failures. Not an overly large amount of failures but they do happen from time to time.
    minimind and Fenthen like this.
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

I have heard about if you are afk in one zone and start overseer and never log off or change zones it fails alot more often then if you zone at least 1 time. This may lead to more failures if you start and auto complete the task without zoning.

I don't know if this increased failure rate is true but from my experience it is. My main rarely if ever fails a overseer task but my boxes that are sitting in pok or lobby and never zone or log off with an overseer task fail all the time.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

When i paid to finish right away like the quest was just started they always failed on me. When there lower on time always seem to not fail.
  18. Cloud the Third Augur

When you waited until it was lower on time had you zoned at least once?
  19. dreadlord Augur

Ditto - except I'd say 'very often' failed if I completed immediately and the chances of fail seemed directly correlated to how long the quest had to run
  20. phattoni Augur

the problem seems to occur for me when i first start the quest, then immediately pay for completion, ive paid for completion on less than 20 mins left and it succeeds 100% of the time it seems, but when i pay for a complete on a fresh quest(6h+ left on timer) it will randomly fail. and it seems to be 1 in 10-15 missions.

also note that these missions all had 90% or higher success rate.